1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Reduced alcohol tolerance

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by LucySW, Dec 12, 2020.

1. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

l’ve been managing my Type 1 diabetes with low carb (& basal & bolus insulin of course) since diagnosis in mid-50s 6 years ago. My question has to do with alcohol sensitivity. I can’t drink much alcohol these days, which I always put down to my diet (high protein, high fat, lots of veg). I can cope with that.

But twice in the last two weeks, I’ve woken up with what I think is a hangover - nausea, waves of dizziness, sensitive to light, just feeling dreadful. This after *two glasses* red wine the night before, *with food & with water*.

Has anyone else on low carb had a similar experience?

2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

In most cases, a hangover (notwithstanding the alcoholic consumption) is usually caused by dehydration. Have you tried having a couple of large glasses of water before bed?

I must say I'm a small, slight person, so my tolerance for alcohol has never been great, but after 7 years on low carb, I'm probably even less tolerant now.

3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been diagnosed 4 years ago and can drink just the same as before. Lowish carb, but not religeously so.
    Can it be you were drinking more often before diagnosis so it's simply that you're not as used to drinking anymore?

4. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have noticed the morning after a night time hypo, I feel like I have a hangover. As alcohol can prohibit glucose release from our livers, is it possible @LucySW for your “hangover” to actually be the symptoms of a night time hypo?
    Our bodies may self recover or rise due to dawn phenomenon so we may wake with the hypo.

When drinking, it is important to eat some more carbs or reduce basal insulin to avoid the risk of night time hypos.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MarkMunday

MarkMunday Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It probably has more to do with age. I don't drink wine in the evenings anymore because it messes with my sleep patterns. I only drink low alcohol beer, no later than 5pm or I have to get up during the night!

6. hyponilla

hyponilla Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @LucySW, I also struggled with this after I started eating very low carb a year and a half ago. My vicious hangovers would have me bent over the toilet for half the next day after 3-4 small glasses of wine, even with food and water. It just wasn't worth it, so I dropped alcohol.

I've read that people who are fat-burning have lower glycogen, so we get drunk faster and it hits us harder, but I don't know how true this is. Carbohydrates bind water, so it could have something to do with that too. You could experiment with eating more carbs with the alcohol, and see if it has any effect.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Could just be the red wine. https://www.insider.com/red-wine-worst-hangovers-2016-8 I've been teetotal for years now, but before that, I couldn't touch red wine without getting a massive migraine. White wine? No prob.

8. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Must be the Southern hemisphere Jo ... cannot handle whites of any kind

9. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@hyponilla, That’s just how it was with me too. I lost the whole day, just felt so awful. I’m trying eating a little carb &/or lots of green veg (lately I’ve been tired & not bothering so tending to just eat lots of protein). But yes, if it really is absolute low tolerance, the drink will probably go. It couldn’t be worth feeling that bad.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook