Reducing insulin to lose weight..

Indy1282

I havent been very well the last few weeks ( flu/sickness bug) and as a result my bloods were running higher than normal. I kept them in check but had to almost double my Insulin requirement.

Now i am better but I weighed a few days a go and I have put on over half a flipping stone!!

I already need to lose weight so this is not good. I have changed my diet to low ish carb and I am also IF. I dont eat from 8pm until 1pm the next day so am fasting for around 11 hours. I do get foot to floor so I have to take 2 - 3 units before getting out of bed regardless. I would say my total bolus per day is around 20units and my basal is 14.

I have weighed this morning and I have lost 4lbs so obviously its helping us my bloods are in range.

Do these amounts sound ok? I know you should take as little insulin as possible but I couldn't get any lower I dont think, I have to take the same amount of units even if I eat protein as it raises me almost as much as carbs albeit in a slower rise.

Just to add - I am not in any way not running high blood sugars to lose weight and I will always take my insulin. My blood sugars are priority but at 5'3 and weighing 15st 9lbs I am overweight.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wouldn't worry about the insulin. Once you get to low carb it kind of bottoms out because protein picks up the slack. IMO just keep up the diet, how long have you been doing it? Maybe try to get into ketosis. Or throw in some longer fasts.

By my calculations you are actually fasting 17 hours...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Always make sure your BS stays within a a good range as far as possible and don't reduce insulin to make the body burn fat as that can be dangerous. Reducing the carbs as far as reasonable is usually the best way to reduce both weight and BS. Is there any reason for the fasting?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree with @Daibell It's important to keep your BG levels in range to optimise weight loss, just make sure you are looking after yourself though, it's important after illness to ensure you're eating a good diet.