Type 2 Reducing medication

lowcarbsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have recently started low carb diet losing 11lbs in one week my blood sugars started to drop to around 3.3 so decided to leave off my 2 daily metformin dose now averaging blood sugars of 5.3 before eating and 5.9 after seeing doctor later in the week but just looking for views of cutting out the metformin meantime

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin never has that much effect so it probably makes little difference if you stop it or carry on. Do discuss with the doc but I suspect you don't need it anymore. Congratulations on the low-carbing result.

lowcarbsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Metformin never has that much effect so it probably makes little difference if you stop it or carry on. Do discuss with the doc but I suspect you don't need it anymore. Congratulations on the low-carbing result.
Thanks for reply was a bit concerned as before eating, bloods with metformin averaged 5.9 and 8.0 after eating

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those numbers are still rather high - compared with what I get, and I don't take medication as it made me very ill.
It might be that you need to give it time, or eat foods lower in carbs, or less of the ones you chose to eat now.
Metformin is not like insulin, it will not actively remove glucose from your bloodstream.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those numbers are still rather high - compared with what I get, and I don't take medication as it made me very ill.
It might be that you need to give it time, or eat foods lower in carbs, or less of the ones you chose to eat now.
Metformin is not like insulin, it will not actively remove glucose from your bloodstream.
I would have thought that 5.3 before and 5.9 after were good unless I missed some other readings

Elaine p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I would have thought that 5.3 before and 5.9 after were good unless I missed some other readings
I know very little about the complex issues of diabetes and can offer no advice, but those bg levels look great to me!

lowcarbsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Quick update
Have been told by doctor to leave out the Metformin and book blood test and appointment with diabetes nurse also om my keto diet so far lost 14lbs weight over 12 days !

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Duh - yes - sorry did not read things right - just ignore what I wrote I 'saw' 5.9 as 9.5 - I think part of my brain was slotted in backwards as I've always been able to get Deshorses before Descartes.

Reactions: Daphne917

lowcarbsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just back from diabetic review bloods down to 45 (pre diabetes) so no more meds back in 6 months and if all goes to plan should reverse diabetes !

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just back from diabetic review bloods down to 45 (pre diabetes) so no more meds back in 6 months and if all goes to plan should reverse diabetes !
Great news well done low carb steve is obviously working well for you.. keep up the great work and we'll have you in the 30's next time!

Reactions: lowcarbsteve

lowcarbsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great news well done low carb steve is obviously working well for you.. keep up the great work and we'll have you in the 30's next time!
Update
Over past 59 days have lost 27.5 lbs of which the first 3 weeks on a reduced carb diet.and keto since with 24hr fasting once or twice a week,all seems to be in the right direction bloods seem to be in range and as stated before off of the Metformin,should have tried this earlier have been on different add ons to the Metformin in past 10 years after my original bloods were 19.6 now usually around the 5s !!!