Type 2 Reducing post prandial BG levels

Kjell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Inactivity
Is there any evidence that drinking lots of water or being active after a meal reduces the post-prandial blood glucose levels? Some of my strip test results hint at this but they’re by no means definitive. I’d be intrigued to hear if there’s any substantiated evidence for either. Thanks.

New_Planet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nothing
Is there any evidence that drinking lots of water or being active after a meal reduces the post-prandial blood glucose levels? Some of my strip test results hint at this but they’re by no means definitive. I’d be intrigued to hear if there’s any substantiated evidence for either. Thanks.
I have found that drinking water prior to having food and also a short walk after food does reduce reduces post prandial bllod glucose levels. I have been using both GLUCOLAB and Glucomen test strips and I find that the readings from Glucolab are always much higher using Glucolab than Glucomen. I wonder if anyone else has experienced that Also, what are the most relaible test strips ?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Because of having to control my blood glucose levels at all times, if you do think or have symptoms akin to a quick spike, then a fifteen minute walk, fifteen minutes after a meal, is really good for reducing the spike.

I have found that walking is really good exercise, especially if you are getting on a bit and doing strenuous workouts are too much.

I have read many good reports about how walking is so good for you.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Speaking purely personally, my post meal levels are better if I sit down and watch TV or use the PC and let it all digest. Even a walk will make them worse.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And my post meal levels are definitely better if I avoid eating too many carbs, and the same applies to avoiding spikes -choosing fats instead for my main fuel source enables me to keep my glucose levels nice and flat. Like @Bluetit1802 I tend to sit and digest rather than gallivanting round.

In the far distant past when I was young, people often used to start their meal with a bowl of soup to fill them up before eating their main course so they didn't need/want to eat too much. Maybe this works (even better!) with a pre meal glass or so of calorie free water. o_O