Refridgeration

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Following on from another post I made and the reply I got, thank you Juicyj :)

My levemir is always kept in the fridge but not my Humulin S. I have 2 pens each with a vial, one of which I carry with me and the other is kept on the side in the kitchen, this one can easily be put in the fridge if needs be. I have always been under the impression that insulin will keep for up to 28 days without refrigeration, is this not correct?

Thanks

Lorna

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lorna

I found this info about storage/use of Levemir:

After initial use, a cartridge (PenFill®) or a prefilled syringe (including FlexPen® or InnoLet®) may be used for up to 42 days if it is kept at room temperature, below 30°C (86°F). In-use cartridges and prefilled syringes in-use must NOT be stored in a refrigerator and must NOT be stored with the needle in place. Keep all cartridges and prefilled syringes away from direct heat and sunlight.

Not in-use (unopened) LEVEMIR PenFill®, FlexPen® or InnoLet® can be used until the expiration date printed on the label if they are stored in a refrigerator. Keep unused cartridges and prefilled syringes in the carton so they will stay clean and protected from light.

It's also on the pack insert, but who reads those ;)

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Thanks Robert :) I really should start reading the literature that comes with my medication!

Lorna