Regarding Rasam and Sambhar the typical South Indian soups or soup-likes

mysorian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
For realistic carbohydrate calculations, one needs to know what they are.

South India is famous for its lentil-based super delicious vegetable preparations. This is consumed two times a day in most homes. The carbohydrate and calorie values for these are non-existent or absent. Even those that exist on food sites are not so good. The reason is that Sambar or Rasam are not even properly defined. Also, some of them are from North Indian recipes that are different from the South Indian.

Let me say what Rasam and Sambhar are as consumed in South India:

Rasam: A watery soup akin to what the Britishers called Mulligatawny soup. Please note that Rasam and Mulligatwany soup are not the same.

Rasam has the following ingredients in South India (majority of them): Pigeon split peas (dry), tamarind juice, garnishing consisting of Rasam Powder, Curry leaves, salt, and sometimes some cut onions (where it is allowed by the sect). After it is prepared there is a second stage of touch-up garnishing consisting of black mustard seeds (sputtered in oil), broken pieces of dry red chilies, and Hing (asafetida).

Rasam can be taken as a hot drink if someone has a cold or stuffed nose. More commonly it is mixed with rice with a dash of ghee. We need to find the carb value for this preparation.

--To be continued

• Informative
Reactions: Speedbird

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pigeon split peas (dry),
tamarind juice,
Rasam Powder,
Curry leaves,
salt,
onions
black mustard seeds
oil
dry red chilies
Hing (asafetida)

I admit some of these may not feature on uk based carb listings but I’m sure with some digging and a little maths you can get a reasonable estimation of carbs of the amount. If the used amount is tiny and you can‘t find the exact item the closest alternative will probably be good enough. I can’t see why 100% precise numbers are needed That said I found the peas and rasam powder instantly with a quick google. Does your packaging tell you anything for your own supply?

Ultimately knowing if a meal is high, medium or low carb can be good enough alongside your meter readings to know if it works for you. This does sound a fairly high carb dish to me though.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Antje77

mysorian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
The major item is lentils. The spices are negligible. Hing may be fractional.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The major item is lentils. The spices are negligible. Hing may be fractional.
Yeah lentils are problematic for a lot of type 2. I suggest testing on your meter to see if they are for you. From memory the rasam powder was about 14% carbs but I have no idea how much you use. If it’s small probably not an issue.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah lentils are problematic for a lot of type 2. I suggest testing on your meter to see if they are for you. From memory the rasam powder was about 14% carbs but I have no idea how much you use. If it’s small probably not an issue.
Lentils, peas, and rice are all reasonably high in carbohydrate. Best thing to do is test after eating as HSSS says above, then you will know how your own recipe affects you.

katmandu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lentils, peas, and rice are all reasonably high in carbohydrate. Best thing to do is test after eating as HSSS says above, then you will know how your own recipe affects you.
Nutrition infomation taken from 2 different brands of 300gm cans of Green Lentils in water
Per 100gms
Carbs 15.7g of which Sugar 0.3g
Carbs 11.6g of which Sugar 0.2g

Carbs are low and sugars neglible.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nutrition infomation taken from 2 different brands of 300gm cans of Green Lentils in water
Per 100gms
Carbs 15.7g of which Sugar 0.3g
Carbs 11.6g of which Sugar 0.2g

I wouldn’t consider any of those particularly low carb, in fact they are quite high, even the lower carb tin would be almost 35g carb for a tin, add in all the other ingredients to make a meal and it’s high in carbs. I doubt many T2 diet controlled could deal with this many carbs in a meal, testing immediately before and 2hrs after would tell you wether you can eat them.

In fact for those type of beans if I ever was to eat them I would test at 3hrs too as they would probably keep me too high for quite a while

• Agree
Reactions: HSSS

katmandu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wouldn’t consider any of those particularly low carb, in fact they are quite high, even the lower carb tin would be almost 35g carb for a tin, add in all the other ingredients to make a meal and it’s high in carbs. I doubt many T2 diet controlled could deal with this many carbs in a meal, testing immediately before and 2hrs after would tell you wether you can eat them.

In fact for those type of beans if I ever was to eat them I would test at 3hrs too as they would probably keep me too high for quite a while
One individual wouldn't eat a whole tin in a meal they probably wouldn't eat 100g and its the sugar content that is more important than the carbs. You need carbs for energy you don't need sugars.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
its the sugar content that is more important than the carbs. You need carbs for energy you don't need sugars.
All carbs convert to sugar in your body, it's definitely the carbs that are important to watch.
This is why T1's count the carbs to calculate their insulin doses, not sugar.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a low carb item would be under 5g. A moderate carb under 10g. I rarely eat anything higher unless it’s a very small amount.
One individual wouldn't eat a whole tin in a meal they probably wouldn't eat 100g and its the sugar content that is more important than the carbs. You need carbs for energy you don't need sugars.
You’re kidding? As a main meal it’s easy to eat a whole can. A 1/4 of a standard can (100g) is nothing.

And as to the sugar content mattering more than carbs that’s simply wrong and I’m not sure where you were told this because it would cause a lot of people to still have high levels if that’s all they are paying attention to.

Sugar is a carb. All carbs (except fibre) become glucose as they are broken down and digested and all of them will raise blood glucose levels. Sugar is a simpler carb and often hits faster but that’s the only real difference. All the glucose matters so all the carbs do too. All the other fancy sugars (coconut, agave etc etc) are much the same in terms of what they do to your glucose too with just the speed varying a little.

And finally whilst carbs do provide energy it’s possible to live without eating any carbs at all (probably not desirable but possible). Humans are dual fuel and can run on a process called nutritional ketosis (not to be confused with DKA or ketoacidosis - a significantly different thing) whereby fats are utilised for energy instead. The body can make a small amount of glucose from fats and proteins and that is used for the few essential requirements of glucose. You might see 130g carbs a day quoted as “needed”. That actually is 130g of glucose and the body can make that itself without eating any.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I disagree. Lentils are high carb items - your figures underline it. 100g is only three and a half ounces. When (pre-diagnosis) I used to make lentil soups and stews I'd regularly use half a kilo - a pound and a half ish - of lentils. That would cover two meals. So 250/300g lentils in one meal wouldn't be unusual.

Digested carbs become glucose. Sugar is a carb. I'm not sure where your information is coming from but I'm afraid it's quite wrong. You can live perfectly well without carbohydrate.

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife