Regular Blood/Sugar Monitoring vs. HbA1c

Priam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I seem to recall when I first joined a couple of years ago that some members believed regular monitoring was more beneficial than HbA1c monitoring. My question is: suppose your regular individual blood/sugar readings were within acceptable limits, but your HbA1c figure happened to be higher than the prescribed level (48), which would you accept.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would accept both for what they are. HbA1cs are an average of your blood sugar levels over the past 8 - 12 weeks. Finger prick tests are a snap shot of your blood sugar at that moment in time. I like to test regularly at home to monitor trends while waiting the three or six months for my HbA1c

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
To me there is no conflict, I test twice a week, or if I eat something radically different it keeps me on the straight and narrow, I consider my six monthly HbA1c a confirmation of my regime.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Priam , I notice that you asked a very similar question last September. Can I ask what’s worrying you about the two different tests?

M

Member496333

Both provide useful data. Neither is a definitive marker of metabolic health. This is because they only tell you what is, or has been in, the blood - not in the entire body - an important distinction to understand if using oral hypoglycaemics or exogenous insulin as treatment.

HbA1c is, in my view, inadequate on its own because it doesn’t tell you how your body reacts to individual meals and/or pharmaceutical drugs. It won’t provide any data on hyperglycaemia or hypoglycaemia events, only an average.

Reactions: Ponchu

Ponchu

Both provide useful data. Neither is a definitive marker of metabolic health. This is because they only tell you what is, or has been in, the blood - not in the entire body - an important distinction to understand if using oral hypoglycaemics or exogenous insulin as treatment.

HbA1c is, in my view, inadequate on its own because it doesn’t tell you how your body reacts to individual meals and/or pharmaceutical drugs. It won’t provide any data on hyperglycaemia or hypoglycaemia events, only an average.

It is also often altered if you donate blood.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
In-range fingerstick tests and a higher HbA1c could indicate that your BG is higher at times you’re not testing yourself.

Reactions: keefidee

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
which would you accept.

When you were diagnosed with T2D, what "proof" did you accept ?

If it was from an elevated HbA1c then I would suggest you continue to use that measure.

If you want to rely on finger prick tests using a very inaccurate device to tell you, you will need to test 50+ times a day, not get much sleep and have very tough fingers.

I know which I prefer.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know which I prefer after over 4 years of HbA1c tests that bear no resemblance to any of my other data despite constant and frequent finger prick tests at all times of the day, 12 or 13 Libre sensors with levels mentally adjusted for the Libre inaccuracies, and more recently two AIcNow home tests. It wouldn't worry me if I never had another HbA1c test. My red blood cells just do not play ball. So much so that my GP agrees with me.

I know I am nowhere near alone with this on the forum.

Priam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Priam , I notice that you asked a very similar question last September. Can I ask what’s worrying you about the two different tests?
I'd forgotten I'd asked before. What concerns me is that you could have several meals in a day - all giving an acceptable reading, but from a glycemic loading point of view (i.e. the more you eat) this could drastically affect HbA1c.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd forgotten I'd asked before. What concerns me is that you could have several meals in a day - all giving an acceptable reading, but from a glycemic loading point of view (i.e. the more you eat) this could drastically affect HbA1c.
I keep to the same number of meals and snacks each day always totally under 50g of carbs a day. That keeps my blood sugars stable and therefore my HbA1c stays stable too.

Reactions: keefidee and jjraak

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use my meter mainly to monitor my pre and post meal levels and trends, and to see how stress, illness, pan, and meds might affect my glucose, and this information is much more vital for (attempting!) to manage my diabetes than any 3 or 6 six monthly averages which essentially tell me s*d all. I need to know what's going on on a day to day basis to enable me to attempt to remedy any apparent problems. It may not be 100% accurate but has proved to be perfectly consistent in the patterns and trends it's been showing me over the years I've been working with it.(And these patterns have been similarly consistent but slightly lower when using a Libre sensor,)

My meter can give me useful and quite quite detailed (fasting, pre & post meal, etc) averages over different periods ranging from 7 to 90 days. I know from experience that my HbA1c is always slightly higher than my predicted result using our Diabetes.co.uk HbA1c calculator. Basically my meter is my diabetes information source, and my HbA1c is/has to be my doctor's and DN's.

Robbity