Type 1 Regular insulin and protein question

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
evening all,

I hope your all well, I’ve been following dr Bernstein’s diabetic solution now since the end of June. Start of August I found out that the protein in my meals was out living my novorapid I was taking so chasing steady rises once that had run it’s course, which seems to be pretty short in me. I’m very slim at only 55kg-58kg and only 5.8 very active and burn off pretty much anything I eat so insulin works a dream in me.

I’m asking my DB nurse tomorrow to switch me to regular insulin for meals, novorapid for DP in the mornings, exercise anc correction. Does anyone know the exact formula for working out how much regular insulin covers 30g of protein etc.. as the guide in dr b’s book is very vague and all pieces of 6oz portions of meat turn into different amounts of protein depending on what they are.

Steak 100g = 25g protein
Chicken breast 100g = 30g protein
1 large egg = 8.3g protein
Yogurt even less at 2.2 g per 100g

How can 1 oz portion be 0.5 unit of regular if they all have different end values in the form of actual protein they contain.

Help!!!!!!!

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked this question just last week. My DSN referred it to a dietician who came back with the following. Anything but straightforward.

<

It is tricky, as you said. In countries where they count fat and protein as well as carbs, they use fat protein units (FPU). 1 FPU is for every 100kcal that comes from fat and protein. They then use a similar ratio to that used for carbs, e.g. if one uses a carb ratio of 1:10g then they would use 1unit:1 FPU.

It has been suggested that in the absence of carbohydrate, up to 50% of protein can be converted to glucose but that this doesn't peak in the blood until 2-4 hours after eating. Likewise, up to 10% of fat can be converted to glucose but this doesn't peak in the blood until 8-10 hours after eating. You can see how this can get tricky as there are likely to be several meals potentially affecting BG at any one time. With the much slower conversion of fat/protein to glucose, it is difficult to suggest how much insulin to take as the rapid acting insulins are designed to work as such, i.e. rapidly!

There may also be implications regarding activity level as glucose disposal rates will be altered according to the amount of exercise and when the exercise is undertaken.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that. It is a tricky one to answer - probably will come down to a bit of trial and error I'm afraid.

>

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve got my proteins listed that I eat and on the list so far is 9 and they all have a different amount of protein. Some very dramatically different like in eggs compared to chicken is roughly half per 100g.

Was wondering if there was a safe starter formula so I could compensate for the difference because at over 100 grams. A nice rib eye is 250 so in essence that would be a 5 shot according to dr b. But if i had 250 gram of chicken then I’d have 75 grams of protein compared to my 62.5 from the same weight in steak..

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I asked this question just last week. My DSN referred it to a dietician who came back with the following. Anything but straightforward.

<

It is tricky, as you said. In countries where they count fat and protein as well as carbs, they use fat protein units (FPU). 1 FPU is for every 100kcal that comes from fat and protein. They then use a similar ratio to that used for carbs, e.g. if one uses a carb ratio of 1:10g then they would use 1unit:1 FPU.

It has been suggested that in the absence of carbohydrate, up to 50% of protein can be converted to glucose but that this doesn't peak in the blood until 2-4 hours after eating. Likewise, up to 10% of fat can be converted to glucose but this doesn't peak in the blood until 8-10 hours after eating. You can see how this can get tricky as there are likely to be several meals potentially affecting BG at any one time. With the much slower conversion of fat/protein to glucose, it is difficult to suggest how much insulin to take as the rapid acting insulins are designed to work as such, i.e. rapidly!

There may also be implications regarding activity level as glucose disposal rates will be altered according to the amount of exercise and when the exercise is undertaken.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that. It is a tricky one to answer - probably will come down to a bit of trial and error I'm afraid.

>
Thanks Paul.

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1

<

>
Had a little look as I have a packet in front of me. Beef mince, seems about right compared to the protein values and other sources of information who treat it the same as carbs except they halve it. Works out about right just like the formular for dr b’s. But I can now decrease that for the likes of eggs and yogurts and now have a play with a few formulars. Thanks again Paul..

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
First, I know NOTHING about regular insulin but I might have some helpful hints.

I switched from novolog to humalog and humalog is much smoother and lasts longer but not long. Novolog had a sharp peak around 45 min then a sharp drop off. Humalog seems to have small peaks and drops. Very steady

I can't eat more than 2.5 oz of protein without needing to Split my bolus. I prefer small meals which works out well. I eat very 2.5-3 hours so essentially my bolus will pick up the delayed protein from my previously meal. I eat 5 small ,eats a day. One of them is cheese with a cocktail before dinner and I don't bolus for that and get no rise. Even a drop sometimes

I also need a small bolus an hour or two after bf to stop the morning rise.

It is more shots but it keeps me very steady. I always seem to need a shot every 3 hours so might as well have a small snack. Works for me.

I am vlc, 45 G protein and eat fat just to satisfaction. I do still weigh my protein and I do find fatty animal protein much harder to control than lean. Animal fat raises me much more than plant fats

Hope something makes sense to help you.