Regular moderate exercise log

Geoffno6

Great effort @Geoffno6. That will definitely impact positively on bg control. Did you count steps before dx or is this all since?

Hi @ianpspurs Thx for the positive feedback, my sad shallowness loves a bit of acknowledgement for my efforts. I started counting steps about 2 years ago when the step counter appeared as a freebie on the iPhone. My steps have doubled though since dx in June, the exercise usually brings my BG numbers down well.

Reactions: Goonergal

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ianpspurs Thx for the positive feedback, my sad shallowness loves a bit of acknowledgement for my efforts. I started counting steps about 2 years ago when the step counter appeared as a freebie on the iPhone. My steps have doubled though since dx in June, the exercise usually brings my BG numbers down well.
In the mists of time I recall reading that longer moderate exercise is effective at controlling bg levels and more intense shorter e.g. HIIT will work for insulin resistance. The longer walks should help bg but if you can manage some 30 sec or so bursts along the way even better - maybe 2 to 3 times a week.

Reactions: Geoffno6

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening folks. I have tried to put a shift in by my standards today and was pleased with a bg of 5 2 hrs after evening meal followed by exercise back. 70 minutes Nordic walk this morning. 1 hour lawn mowing after lunch and 40 minutes exercise bike after dinner. Inch by inch making slow progress. Will end up with 13k steps on pedometer.

Last edited:
Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Monday chest, I managed bench press to 82.5kg x 2 for my heaviest, not massive but I weigh 80kg so happy enough, I started light working up to that weight then dropped to 60kg x 8 for another 2 sets, flys to 22kg x 8 and pull overs to 40kg and finished off with some press sets on a cable machine.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A swim and a gym for me, I swam first as I was up in the mid 9's and did 1050m in 25 minutes, then went next door to the gym and trained my back, pull downs both wide and close grip, one arm rowing, shrugs and bent over rows, no dead lifts :)

Home with a 6.9 and tired :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Swimming for me too @kev-w - but much slower than you! Did get up to 56 lengths before cramp intervened. One brisk walk of about 30 minutes plus assorted shorter bursts added up to 13,544 steps.

Reactions: ianpspurs

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Swimming for me too @kev-w - but much slower than you! Did get up to 56 lengths before cramp intervened. One brisk walk of about 30 minutes plus assorted shorter bursts added up to 13,544 steps.
Ah but my 1050m is 42 lengths so you swam further :)

The cramps will go, question, are you thirsty after a swim? Just if so drink water before swimming and you 'may' find that helps with cramp! Just a thought :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah but my 1050m is 42 lengths so you swam further :)

The cramps will go, question, are you thirsty after a swim? Just if so drink water before swimming and you 'may' find that helps with cramp! Just a thought :)

Thanks. Yes, am thirsty afterwards. Generally do drink beforehand as usually go after dinner. Cramp is a bit of an issue for me in general - despite magnesium supplements and a decent salt intake. No harm in drinking a bit more water before going though.

Reactions: ianpspurs and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was pointed out to me that we sweat when we're swimming, and sweat can dehydrate, and of course dehydration can cause cramps, stretches pre swim can help, they say bananas are good but that's as much use to you as a chocolate fireguard :p , I can sometimes get away with one pre swim in the name of carb loading.

An of course not worrying about it and keeping going (as you are) is probably the best way of curing them! :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An of course not worrying about it and keeping going (as you are) is probably the best way of curing them! :)

Am managing to,go further each time. Start getting little twitches/warning signs of cramp quite early in the swim - usually the toes first. I can shake those off so wait until they get more prevalent/calves start cramping before stopping. Trick is to last as long as possible but not to push it too far.

Reactions: ianpspurs and kev-w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, all this swimming makes me envious. My 1 length is risible in comparison but lessons start again in September so I may improve by the end of 2nd year, Today was all front loaded for me, 50 mins walk before breakfast then 30 mins exercise bike after. Next was shopping and putting rowing machine together so altogether 14k steps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal and kev-w

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
After a very slow day yesterday - just 6,024 steps, mostly at a snails pace as accompanying my Dad and his wife’s 90 year old mother around Birmingham Botanical Garden - went out for a very brisk walk this morning. Roughly 5 miles and added to bits of walking here and there, hit 15,121 steps of which 13,141 were aerobic.

I probably walked past you at some point - I did go past, though not into, the Botanical Gardens that day! (I must go in sometime... though maybe when I've a visitor who wants to.)

Reactions: ianpspurs

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Argh - just short of 0.8 mile for August's Continuous Walking, Brisk Pace, target. However, I'm all bathed and ready for bed, so not wandering out for 15 minutes now. By the time I do my usual walk down the hill to the bus stop in the morning, it'll be all good.

Been sorting paperwork out for most of the day, so lugging full lever arch files up and down stairs, as I emptied/refilled/reorganised was the most exercise I had until I went out to deliver a gift at 4.00 p.m. and walked home. I was going to have chips for tea, but failed to realise I didn't actually have enough insulin with me for such a gastronomic excitement. (Plenty at home - but I was going to have the chips in the park!)