Regular moderate exercise log

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Waves at @RuthW ! This thread has definitely been great for helping me keep going, so thank you from me for starting it. Lovely to have you back.

Do we think sorting a large cupboard full of boiler suits and overalls with student help counts as exercise? I did try on most of the ones which were lacking in the size label department - if they didn't fit, they were small, if they fitted nicely, they were medium and anything else was large to XXXL depending on how much extra wrapped around me . It seemed to work... and I was quite exhausted by the end.

Reactions: kev-w and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Playing catch up on several threads on the forum.

Sunday went back to walking football for the first time in ages. Loved it. There’s been some serious tension in the group while I’ve been away, but the staff have sorted it out and it made for a much better, more inclusive game. 1.5 hour session and in addition clocked up 19,140 steps.

Yesterday was 17710 steps and today 11,530. Missed swimming tonight as had to go to a local event, but planning on going tomorrow instead. Also need to get back to the gym.

Reactions: kev-w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t make 10k today I’m ashamed to say. Did a few of the 5 min bursts of squats etc though

@Japes your post really made me laugh - I’m imagining how long it must have taken to try on all the overalls, what a great sizing system!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A back session for me, a warm up with the kettlebells first and then my normal routine a little lighter but with 2 extra sets for each exercise.

Reactions: Goonergal

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m imagining how long it must have taken to try on all the overalls, what a great sizing system!

Oh, most of the afternoon. It was a deliberate stretch a job out to keep several students occupied and to assess how long they could keep working for.

It's a job I enjoy as Once Upon A Time the XXXL overall was mine before the weight loss I kept protesting I was doing nothing to provoke, and everyone else kept congratulating me on losing the weight... I did briefly fit in the S size for a couple of months before the LADA diagnosis. I'm happiest in Ms, though I believe I'm now technically slightly overweight again. BMI does not work well for those of us who are on the shorter side, with good leg muscles.

I was going for a walk as I've no music lessons tonight, plus I get home earlier on a Wednesday, but it's really blowing quite a hoolie out there. Still, I'm definitely in October's walking targets now, so an evening in doing some housework is probably a better idea.

Reactions: kev-w and DJC3

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So yesterday my evening walk took me up to 13,666 steps. I was a bit surprised. Especially because I did Week 5, run 1 of C25K today and it only came to 5,714 steps. Anyway, it certainly got the heart beating!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Considering a goodly portion of today was spent in the car travelling to the North Norfolk coast I am pleased with the 10.2k steps my pedometer shows. Hope everyone avoided being Ali (ed)

Reactions: Goonergal and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A slower swim, 1350m (54 lengths) in just under 35 minutes, it took a while for my shoulder to loosen up so I took it easy, went in with a blood of 9 and came out at 6.5 with no pre swim snack then it rose back up to 9 which had me tutting :)

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Failed to make 10k steps again (9.5) afternoon walk curtailed because of the rain and the fact I was wearing a non waterproof jacket with a broken zip.

Still did 1/2 hr of 5min sessions of core workout and squats through the day - better than nothing.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One soaking wet foray out to the shop this morning was enough to convince me I should do some other exercise than walking today.
Went swimming - swam lengths for 30 mins

10 mins core workout and squats

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First the mystery virus now waking up in the middle of the night so very stop start with exercise. Just managed 10.3k steps today so squeezed into barely moving zone.

Reactions: Goonergal and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rained off work this aft gave me the time to both swim and gym, not a big swim, just 400m or 16 lengths but it was all front crawl with tumble turns :D:D:D, the first time I've managed more than 4 lengths of it consecutively in years, the last 2 lengths felt like they were going to kill me too, I did a few pairs of backstroke lengths to finish then went to the gym to do legs, squats maxed at 120kg x4 but it was a decent session as the swim had tired my legs a bit :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exhausted yesterday so planned swim didn’t materialise. 12,135 steps getting from A to B.

Today started with a brisk 40 minute walk to my hospital appointment. 16,738 in total and a Pilates class.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling decidedly sorry for myself. The cramps when swimming situation is getting ridiculous. Tonight’s swim was doomed from the start when I felt a couple of twinges in toes on the first length. Gave up after 26 lengths - was hoping to go twice that distance. Good job I did stop though - got to top of steps and calf went into enormous spasm. Couldn’t move.

Limped home for hot shower followed by some stretches and now feet up with heat pack, plenty of water and large mug of tea with salt added.

In other news 12,936 steps getting from a to b.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling decidedly sorry for myself. The cramps when swimming situation is getting ridiculous. Tonight’s swim was doomed from the start when I felt a couple of twinges in toes on the first length. Gave up after 26 lengths - was hoping to go twice that distance. Good job I did stop though - got to top of steps and calf went into enormous spasm. Couldn’t move.

Limped home for hot shower followed by some stretches and now feet up with heat pack, plenty of water and large mug of tea with salt added.

In other news 12,936 steps getting from a to b.
Hug for the cramp and disappointment at not being able to meet goals. Actual level of exercise good so call it a draw and hopefully it will resolve itself.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went for a lovely 4K walk in Cardinham woods. About 3k steadily climbing up and up. The last 1k a very steep decline which was actually more difficult.
Bit disappointed to find Ive still only done 12k steps today, but there you are.
30 mins of core exercises/ squats etc in 3x 10 min bursts.

@Goonergal your cramps seem to be getting more frequent and intense. Are they just when you’re swimming?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
last 1k a very steep decline which was actually more difficult.
@Goonergal your cramps seem to be getting more frequent and intense. Are they just when you’re swimming?

I find downhill harder too.

Thanks for asking about the cramps. They do seem to be getting worse. They’re not just when swimming, can be during any form of exercise - quite often get them at Pilates or after something more intensive in the gym/walking football. The night time ones have reduced which is why I don’t think it’s just about electrolytes. I need to build more stretching into my routine I think.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find downhill harder too.

Thanks for asking about the cramps. They do seem to be getting worse. They’re not just when swimming, can be during any form of exercise - quite often get them at Pilates or after something more intensive in the gym/walking football. The night time ones have reduced which is why I don’t think it’s just about electrolytes. I need to build more stretching into my routine I think.

I wonder if there’s a sports injury clinic near you? There used to be one at a leisure cente near us, which sounds like the sort of place to help. They dealt with all sorts of muscle and nerve type problems, sprains etc - not just sports injuries. Cramps are horrible.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if there’s a sports injury clinic near you? There used to be one at a leisure cente near us, which sounds like the sort of place to help. They dealt with all sorts of muscle and nerve type problems, sprains etc - not just sports injuries. Cramps are horrible.

Thanks. Was thinking the same thing. There is one at a university not far from where I work, but thinking that at least initially might need to go somewhere a bit more high tech. Whatever happened last night doesn’t feel like a normal cramp - tried to go to walking football today and could barely walk there. Did a bit of stretching and hobbled around in goal but it’s still really sore. Just as well it’s raining so there’s a good excuse for sitting inside with my feet up!

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Was thinking the same thing. There is one at a university not far from where I work, but thinking that at least initially might need to go somewhere a bit more high tech. Whatever happened last night doesn’t feel like a normal cramp - tried to go to walking football today and could barely walk there. Did a bit of stretching and hobbled around in goal but it’s still really sore. Just as well it’s raining so there’s a good excuse for sitting inside with my feet up!

Hope the rest helps, it certainly sounds like it should be checked out.
A square or 2 of Montezumas might help?