Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ok, basal seems sorted for now so lots of stairs at work today and a walk at lunchtime. Tomorrow it is back to the hiit class so I'll find out if the hypos are under control!

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ended up doing a half hour high stress endurance weights session instead.

Not moderate, and it will hurt tomorrow

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sean01

Wow so much good stuff going on! My modest start is going well, I missed yesterday but did 4 sets of stairs first thing and 3 sets at lunchtime. I'm feeling hungry though and slipping a bit with eating.
Keep at it and good luck. I went cold turkey rather than try to cut down on things. I'm lucky - whilst I admit to loving food and am happy to say that I have eaten food so good it has made my cry tears of joy (ridiculous I know, but true) I can also see food as simply 'functional'. There are foods which will take away the hunger - slow burners, soups and green veg. Go for it. You are not alone.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep at it and good luck. I went cold turkey rather than try to cut down on things. I'm lucky - whilst I admit to loving food and am happy to say that I have eaten food so good it has made my cry tears of joy (ridiculous I know, but true) I can also see food as simply 'functional'. There are foods which will take away the hunger - slow burners, soups and green veg. Go for it. You are not alone.

I've been to a Michelin 2* restaurant, once. It was definitely an experience.

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sean01

I've been to a Michelin 2* restaurant, once. It was definitely an experience.
Absolutely - two fingers - same to the heart attack, high blood pressure and asthma. Winning with exercise. Best meal ever - Archers in Malta. I was in my early 20's and still a body builder - I was big. I went to dinner with a family friend and my girl friend. The family friend happened to be the minder for a prominent politician - he made me look tiny. The tears started when the dessert came along. There were some language problems. My host thought there was a problem and started to get concerned. The maitre D went pail and nearly passed out from fear and everybody turned to our table. Between the tears, I managed to tell my girl friend to explain to my host that I was happy, not annoyed/angry/upset because the food was that good. An announcement was made to the whole restaurant once the Maitre D had composed himself. The pastry chef was summoned and everybody applauded his work. That was nearly 30 years ago. Don't know what happened to the girls friend, still see the big guy once in a while and next time I go to Malta, I will take my wife and kids to Archers and it will be incredible.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in Malta last year with work, stayed in St Julians at the Corinthia Palace hotel. Overall I was very impressed by the standard of food and I'll try and remember Archers next time I'm there.

There are 2 restaurants in the grounds, on separate floors of the same building, owned by the same guy who's also head chef, both superb. One is more steak/meat based and the other is an Asian fusion, had some great sushi.

The other one for me was on the beach in St Julians, Paranga. Very good fish and wine, but avoid the daily catch on the platter - rip off.

S

Sean01

I was in Malta last year with work, stayed in St Julians at the Corinthia Palace hotel. Overall I was very impressed by the standard of food and I'll try and remember Archers next time I'm there.

There are 2 restaurants in the grounds, on separate floors of the same building, owned by the same guy who's also head chef, both superb. One is more steak/meat based and the other is an Asian fusion, had some great sushi.

The other one for me was on the beach in St Julians, Paranga. Very good fish and wine, but avoid the daily catch on the platter - rip off.
Happy Days - Corinthia Palace is across the bay from the Westin Dragonara - that's our second home - we may have actually looked across the bay at the same time!!. It's not impossible.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did 4 miles this afternoon. Still feeling lazy; so my run is slower - 4 miles took 56 minutes.

myrec2016Jan8.png

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
was in Malta last year with work, stayed in St Julians at the Corinthia Palace hotel.
Yes, Malta is a nice place. I stayed very close to airport area 'Luqa'. Hotel name is Excelsior. So everyday I used to walk from Valetta to Luqa. It used to be very windy, as it is close to equator and a small island; but with lots of sun-shine. People of Malta have generally big frames. Yes, dining is healthy.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did 4 miles this afternoon. Still feeling lazy; so my run is slower - 4 miles took 56 minutes.

View attachment 17115
looks like your hr is very up and down there, you'd be better off setting a target band in the garmin, a good starting point for your max is 180-current age, so for you 180-46 = 134. Use that for awhile, even if it means you need to walk occasionally, your fitness will improve but without over stressing your body unduly.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the comment. I am bit concerned about overdoing and undue stress on legs especially. I will re-do as suggested at the slower pace. Don't know how to set the zones (or target band) in Garmin FR15. But I can see the HR while I am running in real time and I will make it a point that I won't exceed 134. It is a gift for me, so want to use it carefully.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Survived the class yesterday and ache a lot today. Went from over 7 to 3.2 though so still need to fine tune my doses.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
a good starting point for your max is 180-current age, so for you 180-46 = 134. Use that for awhile, even if it means you need to walk occasionally, your fitness will improve but without over stressing your body unduly.

Ok Dave, I did the same route again this morning. Started at 7am, did the same distance as measured by the Garmin FR 15. I have specifically taken your advice on HR limits. Please see the pics below, what I did.
myrec2017Jan9_2.png

and then below pic is the comparison of yesterday evening run; and this morning's.

myrec2017Jan9_1.png

If you observe the comparison, I did the same distance 4.01 miles [about 6.45km]. As you advised, this morning I actually walked first two miles (splits), so heart rate is kind of low; did not check HR, as it was around 115 as I was only walking. But there was an inclined surface in the ground and I had to trek up! So HR peaked a bit there. Basically first splits are kind of leisurely walking. Then for the last 2 splits, I started to jog at lower pace while keeping the HR below 134 bpm.

I basically want to build my aerobic base first. And I am trying. That said, I am trying to keep off T2D as well. Hopefully my efforts work well.
David

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Walked 9 miles today. Went to Brighton very windy at times and got rather wet walking the last couple of miles back to the car.