Regular moderate exercise log

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
This is a fantastic thread. Thanx to Ruth for starting it.
Also Jennifer and Mikalu 2k4 thank you both for tryingt to encourage me to walk. Today I went to the Gym. Did 20 min. tread mill. and few arm exercises. Realised how weak my arms are. Needs to go to the Gym more often.
Weekend I have to look after my grandson and also drive him for various activitie as my son is working and the DiL is out of the country. I won,t be able to do any fitness activities.

Reactions: 2 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Today I went to the Gym. Did 20 min. tread mill. and few arm exercises. Realised how weak my arms are. Needs to go to the Gym more often.

First things first. 20min in gym is very good. Please refer to my update for today and day-before (Jan 13) which I am going to post now after this. I only did 25 min or so today, but those 25 min are quite demanding on my body, seriously. No need to go to gym everyday, better to go on alternate days. Just google daily gym is better or alternate days, - you will know by yourself.

Weekend I have to look after my grandson and also drive him for various activitie as my son is working and the DiL is out of the country. I won,t be able to do any fitness activities.
Once you are moving with a kid, you are forced to be active - full stop. No need to worry about those days, so you can mark those days as 'rest days' deliberately. Just that you need to watch what you eat. If time permits, do resistance workouts at home [like push ups, bicycle crunches, mountain climbers etc - they are more effective than walking or jogging; and also very safe; no need of any special equipment. Your body automatically regulates your movements to avoid injuries.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
ok, this is what I did today - around 25 minutes of body weight exercises.

Dec0333.png

This is a calendar view of Garmin watch that I use. So you can see that I did not do anything yesterday. Today it is about 27 minutes of exercises. At right end is the weekly totals of distance I ran and total calories I burnt. Usually I burn around 3000 calories per week, but this week I may get around 2200 or so. My aim is not to boast about what I do - but to convey a few points.

1. Body weight exercises are gentle; but we experience the burn a little later. They are very safe; our movements are very much controlled by our body. There is no or very little scope for overdoing it. For example, when I reach my limit, I cannot do even a single push up - full stop.

2. We can vary the intensity as we can and like. We can do at home without any equipment; thousands of varieties of workouts. Nice ladies or handsome men [suit yourself] showing how to do these exercises on youtube. For me, I settled with push ups and bicycle crunches [that is one day]; and then biceps, triceps, mountain climbers - another day [see Jan 13]. With this, I ensure that I move different muscle groups on different days.

3. I have no time to go gym; neither do I like. It is not about money, but it is me. Prefer large grounds and cities [Like France, where I walked along a nice river as shown in my previous posts] to walk or jog.

4. Body weight exercises generally will be of short duration - see youtube for details. Very effective, even if you do for short time. Some workouts can be very challenging. For me, sit ups are very difficult; I just do 5 in a set and do 3 repetitions max. If I do more I cannot walk properly next day.

5. Heart rate normally lesser than jogging; but muscles will be directly engaged, stretched and twisted. Running tones your legs mostly; but running is most effective in building anaerobic fitness.

6. Some workouts may work effectively for you. For me, bicycle crunches and mountain climbers are very effective. Then comes push ups. Most women benefit from push ups especially if they have love handles and lose skin. So you need to find what works for you; but that takes a good time; like a few months. You need to record your workouts and watch your body response and improvements etc,

tomorrow I will try some 5k jogging at some increased pace of my own standards.

- David

Last edited by a moderator:

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been very busy lately but have at least managed to get in some yoga/strength/resistance each day so my physio will be happy. Keeping fingers crossed that the weather will allow for a bike ride & a kayak tomorrow. Went for a two hour walk yesterday - would have been 1 1/2 hrs if it weren't so freaking windy! Even my husband (who has a good 30kg on me) had trouble staying on his feet at times.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
ok here is my 5k of the day Jan 16, 2015. Was able to get this done in the morning itself. Temperature is about 21deg C, started at 7am, took 51 minutes; nice sunny day.

Dec0334.png

Did not run at full speed, but 531 calories in 51 minutes is good. Was able to hold 160+ BPM of heart rate over 10 minutes or so, which is first time for me. No excessive sweating or body pains. My baby elephant wants to take rest, so I have to do lot of work over this weekend, shopping, washing, cleaning etc. Also want to do another 5k tomorrow. Let us see.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Walking and squats today. Arms still ache from yesterday.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good bike ride, beach walk & kayak. Perfect weather (much less windy) & the water temperature was gorgeous.
Get a four day weekend next week & it's supposed to rain the entire time - I am choosing not to believe the forecast.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
An hour and a half of walking today.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I did my 6km walk this morning. Took 50 minutes, spent 580 calories, over 3.7miles jog+walk. It is a sunny day, 21deg centigrade; or 70 deg F. Started at 7.30am, so it is bit late in the day. But I believe exposure to warm sun in the morning is good for getting some vitamin D?

This week summary: distance: 11.65miles; Total workout duration: 280 minutes [glad to exceed 250min recommended time]; Calories: 2500. So this is what I could do for this week.

The problem with walking in the sun shine is loss of fluids and body cramps. So, it might impact my tomorrow's body weight workouts. Let us see how coming week goes.

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
David your advice and encouragement is very welcome. I don't think that any body in this forum think that you are bragging. It is good to know what others are doing. No exercise during the weekend. Its snowing here so it has to be the gym again. I find it easier to exercise in the Gym.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
so it has to be the gym again. I find it easier to exercise in the Gym.
Major advantage with gym is - 100% injury free, unless there is some accident like weights falling on you etc; it is true even if you do treadmill at high speed. Then body shape after a few months of consistent efforts will be very great. Most folks go to gym to get definition and curves, which are possible with 'assisted machines'. Movements with assisted equipment are very uniform, they are designed scientifically and noway they can damage body. Most gyms are air-conditioned, so body has to burn more calories and impact of external atmosphere is absent - which is plus.

On the other hand running is prone to injuries to legs and joints. That is why walking is very safe and beneficial. - you can google on this. So, gym has more advantages, once you have access. Keep doing.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done all you with those amazing success stories. Minor victories going on with me, but it feels wonderful all the same. I did 5 stair sets this morning and will try to do 5 at lunchtime. A couple of years ago when I had bronchitis and asthma, I couldn't get up the first quarter of the staircase. I feel great when I've done the morning set.

Reactions: 4 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi all, today managed to fit in an hour and a half of walking to fit in chores around work.