Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Four mile walk in the Italian forest this morning.
I truly admire all you runners, I hate running and cannot get my head round it.

Reactions: 2 people

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello - I'm someone who hates "exercise" but has taken reasonably well to "physical activity" in the form of walking and gardening. The latter since I moved to a house with a larger hedge to keep under control..

I used to commute by train and would walk three miles every day just walking to and from stations/work/home, Then I changed jobs to be nearer home but never got into the habit of walking to and from work. Which would have been three miles a day.

Two years on, I moved house and was diagnosed with T2 the same week. (Mmmm.. lethargy levels putting me off the walk to and from now making sense.). Diet along with Metformin worked really well initially. Until it didn't! At which point after the most food-treat free Christmas EVER, with blood sugars just going up and up, after much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, I began walking part way to and from work. This was to convince myself I wasn't "exercising", I was "commuting" then I began getting more and more skilled at spreading out my "shopping" and not "exercising". I can recommend washing down all the wooden pews in my church as another example...

Anyway, I'm now averaging 4 miles a day and want to keep this going. 10.2 miles is my best day - split into three shopping trips! Though, I'm not enthused to go out this morning as it's raining!

Reactions: 4 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello - I'm someone who hates "exercise" but has taken reasonably well to "physical activity" in the form of walking and gardening. The latter since I moved to a house with a larger hedge to keep under control..

I used to commute by train and would walk three miles every day just walking to and from stations/work/home, Then I changed jobs to be nearer home but never got into the habit of walking to and from work. Which would have been three miles a day.

Two years on, I moved house and was diagnosed with T2 the same week. (Mmmm.. lethargy levels putting me off the walk to and from now making sense.). Diet along with Metformin worked really well initially. Until it didn't! At which point after the most food-treat free Christmas EVER, with blood sugars just going up and up, after much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, I began walking part way to and from work. This was to convince myself I wasn't "exercising", I was "commuting" then I began getting more and more skilled at spreading out my "shopping" and not "exercising". I can recommend washing down all the wooden pews in my church as another example...

Anyway, I'm now averaging 4 miles a day and want to keep this going. 10.2 miles is my best day - split into three shopping trips! Though, I'm not enthused to go out this morning as it's raining!

Hi @Japes
Well done on the walking.
I also use walking to help keep blood sugars down. I had wondered how much this was helping and have now done a few tests, This morning about an hour after breakfast 7.0 then a 40 minute walk and 5.7. I had tested a previous day and an hour after breakfast was 7.1 and after 2 hours without a walk 6.5 so I would estimate that the walk helped bring it down by an extra 0.5 or a little more.
I tend to do about 3 walks a day and find this really helpful as it also gets me out of the house. Shopping I have to do in small loads as I can't carry that much home. I recently found that there was an Aldi about half an hours walk away so that gives me an hours walk every visit and fresh veg needs to be bought several times a week.

Keep going on the walking - I'm sure it will help.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Early start today helping Mr S at work, so no time for a swim. Made up for it though - later in the day I went to a running shop and experienced excellent customer service finding a pair of running shoes that won't break my feet. Got on the treadmill for each pair of shoes tried, and had my feet filmed while running.

CAME HOME WITH SOME DECENT SHOES!

In celebration I went for an afternoon swim - I rarely swim at times of day other than first thing as I usually absolutely crash - thanks to doing a 50% health event bolus ratio on my pump at lunchtime though and an 80% TBR for an hour afterwards I was spot on with my sugar levels. Delighted!

And tomorrow I'm starting the couch to 5k again, from the beginning. Feels like a step backwards, but a necessary one - did 2 and a bit weeks followed by 3 weeks off, so I'm trying not to care that I'm now a perceived 5 weeks behind!

Onwards and upwards - this time with decent footwear!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I got some decent walking boots and proper thick socks the other week and they are making such a difference to the walking. I've been very careful about wearing them only for short walks then building up the distance and only wearing the proper socks. I have also got some thick socks that were designed especially for diabetics - no seams to rub, extra thickness on the soles and soft tops. They are very comfortable. I will get some more when I walk round that way later today.

Thanks for the encouragement, @Hiitsme the walking is definitely helping.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No run today thanks to pouring rain - got to cut those new shoes some slack! Made the decision to finally find out how the treadmills at the gym work (I only use the pool generally) so have booked induction for Tuesday. Figured that making a start on a decent, flat, softer-than-tarmac surface would help to strengthen my feet while I get going again on this crazy running idea...

Had a long walk this afternoon, bike ride planned for tomorrow.

:)

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
30 min run this afternoon, or should I call that very ..very .. slow jog ( 4km ) ...anyway, was enjoyable and the longest I've ran since November 2015 so well chuffed! Then 3.5 hours struggling to get my autistic 7 year old to sleep... I know this doesn't really count as exersise but it should lol x

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
10 mile bike ride today, in three bursts - we stopped for a pub lunch, then again to visit a local gallery. Came home in time for tea and cake. Perfect Sunday exercise!

:happy:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yippee! Just entered today's walking on the spreadsheet - since finishing main work just before Easter, (I return to the day job tomorrow) I've walked 85 miles, an average of 5 a day. I will also hit 300 miles this week and 100 days of walking every day. OK, some days have only been a mile or so, but nearly half those days are more than 3 miles a day.

More to the point, I can see it's having an effect on health and blood sugars.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Back from Italy. We clocked up a fair few miles walking while away, but I also ate a lot of pizza:happy:

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No time for much exercise yesterday, apart from morning and bedtime care work, due to 200 miles round trip by car to family party, but managed to fit in a 1.5km walk to find 3 geocaches near party venue. :)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Went to the actual gym half of the health club for the first time this morning - I usually only use the pool. Felt ever so self-conscious!

Was shown how the treadmills and cross trainers work, and was shown - and did - some proper stretches. Am clueless so this was very useful.

Had a 30-min walk/run on the treadmill - okay so it's boring in comparison with being outside, BUT it's important to me to have a level and springy surface to start with, just while I get my feet and legs used to the idea!

The new shoes are fine - really pleased - and I'm aiming to NOT BREAK MY FEET like last time...... running on rural roads was not all that sensible for a complete beginner, it seems!

So, slow and steady. Am aiming to alternate gym with swim, and I might do their Pilates class to stretch out my very tight muscles. Might as well give it a go as it's all paid for as part of my membership.

:)

scouse13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all
Exercise regime has suffered due to family requirements...... 5th grandchild appeared Sunday we were looking after big sister.
BG didn't rise much, but weigtht did even tho' walking upto a hour a day.
Went back to the gym for 2 hours this a.m. will keeo this up.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Always been a swimmer but since my diagnosis I try to swim 30 minutes most days Mon - Fri. Jump out of bed at 6am, in the pool by 6:30am and crawl out around 50 lengths later. Find it is really helping me feel positive generally - I get grouchy now when I don't go.

Also trying to do an hour a week of strength training - I was told this is important too?

Reactions: 5 people