Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Swimming this morning. 10.6 down to 6.2.

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The notification system seems to have died on me!

But my walking has gone a bit to pot. I'm still aiming for the 10,000 steps / day thing, and am still stuck with averages between 8,000 and 9,000.

What's kept the average up is doing some walks at greater length - something I've not done for many decades. Several weeks running I've had one or two days where I've walked around 15,000 steps, and was up nearly to 20,000 on one day. Long term, I can see myself now regularly doing longer walks on some days, and as these are in a mixture of places in the local countryside, they include uphill and down, climbing over fences - enough to send me home with aches in all sorts of places.

But the other side of the coin is days which have very little walking in!

I'm coming up to my annual review tests, and you'd think it would make me more diligent, wouldn't you?

Reactions: 4 people

scouse13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks
bg has been a bit up and down.
exercise regime:
Gym 2 or 3 times per week 1.5 to 2.0 a time, walk there and back 40 min each way.
Running on local cycle path 2 or 3 times per week, about 5 miles in 45 min.
acheiving 80 to 85% success.
weight stuck between 76 and 77 kg.
I use public transport.
now upping diy and gardening, ug ug!!!
GOOD TO GET IT OFF MY CHEST.
Have fun everyone.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks
bg has been a bit up and down.
exercise regime:
Gym 2 or 3 times per week 1.5 to 2.0 a time, walk there and back 40 min each way.
Running on local cycle path 2 or 3 times per week, about 5 miles in 45 min.
acheiving 80 to 85% success.
weight stuck between 76 and 77 kg.
I use public transport.
now upping diy and gardening, ug ug!!!
GOOD TO GET IT OFF MY CHEST.
Have fun everyone.
That's so much more exercise than I do! Seems unfair that the BG doesn't do what you want it to,

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't exercise really over Easter. BUT - all those intervals I've been moaning about - my daughter dragged me for a walk along beach on Good Friday and we ran a bit, and instead of having to give up in a puff after twenty paces, I could keep going for nearly five minutes !!!! A total first !!

So - we keep it up, yeah?

Reactions: 3 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't exercise really over Easter. BUT - all those intervals I've been moaning about - my daughter dragged me for a walk along beach on Good Friday and we ran a bit, and instead of having to give up in a puff after twenty paces, I could keep going for nearly five minutes !!!! A total first !!

So - we keep it up, yeah?

Can't believe how cold and grey it's been for much of the Easter holiday - plus I'm now at the sniffle stage of a cold! It all still feels like winter to me.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am exercising hard sitting on the sand on the beach and listening to the waves break.

I'll be good now.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
YEAH! Back in the pool after several weeks' absence thanks to my icky chest - only 20 lengths but I am SO TRIUMPHANT!

Sore feet from running now much better after so much unscheduled rest. Going to a proper running shop I hope in the next few days for proper gait analysis and a DECENT pair of shoes that actually support my feet!

Onwards and upwards, friends!

:)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
In Italy at the moment so no gym going. Walked four miles this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
Hi, new to this thread, I started the couch to 5 k last year and completed it, but by November by the time I was coming home from uni it was dark and it all fizzled out. However I was diagnosed type 2, 2 weeks ago now and I am just about to start again ( today ) ... I don't know if I should start from the beginning again week 1 or start where I left off-ish. I was running daily at that point usually 3 or 4 k a day then working up to 10k on a Saturday. Its 'persisting' down of rain out there right now, and Im full of cold, coughing and sneezing but I have the urge to do it and have to act on it whilst its there! haha

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yay @TracyC - sounds great - see how you feel when you get out the door - wow I'd so love to build up to 10k but I'm such a newbie! Once I've got my shoes I'll probably start from the beginning - but then I'd only made it to week 3 when I stopped!

I've done another 20 lengths this morning - taking it gently so my lungs don't fall out from coughing! Small steps!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Forgot to hit the 'health event' button when bolusing for my pre-swim porridge an hour ago so have twice the insulin on board than I have when I go swimming! :banghead:

So, no swim for me today - went back to bed with a cuppa instead.

I think the error occurred because I woke up 3.9 (and dropping) so actually it's probably the right decision!

Shame though, as I'd been hoping to swim every day this week after 3 weeks of not exercising at all....

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
YEAH! Back in the pool after several weeks' absence thanks to my icky chest - only 20 lengths but I am SO TRIUMPHANT!

Sore feet from running now much better after so much unscheduled rest. Going to a proper running shop I hope in the next few days for proper gait analysis and a DECENT pair of shoes that actually support my feet!

Onwards and upwards, friends!

Yes do get the good shoes. They will really be good. Power on up there!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, new to this thread, I started the couch to 5 k last year and completed it, but by November by the time I was coming home from uni it was dark and it all fizzled out. However I was diagnosed type 2, 2 weeks ago now and I am just about to start again ( today ) ... I don't know if I should start from the beginning again week 1 or start where I left off-ish. I was running daily at that point usually 3 or 4 k a day then working up to 10k on a Saturday. Its 'persisting' down of rain out there right now, and Im full of cold, coughing and sneezing but I have the urge to do it and have to act on it whilst its there! haha
I've no idea but on psych terms rather than runner terms, it might be good to start from the beginning again because you will power up there so well and so fast.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgot to hit the 'health event' button when bolusing for my pre-swim porridge an hour ago so have twice the insulin on board than I have when I go swimming! :banghead:

So, no swim for me today - went back to bed with a cuppa instead.

I think the error occurred because I woke up 3.9 (and dropping) so actually it's probably the right decision!

Shame though, as I'd been hoping to swim every day this week after 3 weeks of not exercising at all....
Poor thing. So easily done. Never mind, tomorrow's another day.

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
I've no idea but on psych terms rather than runner terms, it might be good to start from the beginning again because you will power up there so well and so fast.
lol...I don't think I had a choice to be honest, the week 1 C25k was actually taxing, so yeah I am starting from the beginning again, it was enjoyable though, I like the fact Im doing 'something' and I suffer with depression and it lifts my mood a lot more than I gave it credit for i think. x

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it does. Lift moods. It's great, isn't it.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@TracyC I completely agree. :)

Since I started exercising regularly I really, really find I need it - I seem to get antsy if I haven't exercised one day - this is why I'm so frustrated that I was knocked back for three weeks with a chest infection - I think you're absolutely right about it having the capacity to lift your mood. When I swim is when I do my thinking. I go through everything in my head, it's my 'me' time, it's a treat, and I can really just get my thinking done and it puts all sorts of things into perspective.

And when I had the daft idea of starting to run - that's what I felt, that it was a really silly idea, having never run, never been sporty, being very self-conscious - I forgot everything else and just did that first C25k podcast - it was early morning, still nearly dark, earphones in, woolly hat on (for the purposes of disguise, although my husband did point out that as the tallest woman in the village I was instantly recognisable, hat or no hat!) - and off I went. And it was amazing. Fresh air, birdsong, walk, run, walk, run, pat on back, shower, SORTED. When I'm doing my running session I'm looking forward to my swim the next day. When I'm swimming I'm looking forward to the next day's running podcast.

Yay to endorphins! And I'm going shoe shopping at a proper running shop on Friday, so when I restart my C25k programme on Saturday my feet won't break.

:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@TracyC I completely agree. :)

Since I started exercising regularly I really, really find I need it - I seem to get antsy if I haven't exercised one day - this is why I'm so frustrated that I was knocked back for three weeks with a chest infection - I think you're absolutely right about it having the capacity to lift your mood. When I swim is when I do my thinking. I go through everything in my head, it's my 'me' time, it's a treat, and I can really just get my thinking done and it puts all sorts of things into perspective.

And when I had the daft idea of starting to run - that's what I felt, that it was a really silly idea, having never run, never been sporty, being very self-conscious - I forgot everything else and just did that first C25k podcast - it was early morning, still nearly dark, earphones in, woolly hat on (for the purposes of disguise, although my husband did point out that as the tallest woman in the village I was instantly recognisable, hat or no hat!) - and off I went. And it was amazing. Fresh air, birdsong, walk, run, walk, run, pat on back, shower, SORTED. When I'm doing my running session I'm looking forward to my swim the next day. When I'm swimming I'm looking forward to the next day's running podcast.

Yay to endorphins! And I'm going shoe shopping at a proper running shop on Friday, so when I restart my C25k programme on Saturday my feet won't break.

:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:
Haha, that sounds so much like me the first time I did it ( well pretty much this time now too ) I'm lucky that I live in the private grounds of a castle up here in Scotland so can run through the forest walks within the grounds and rarely ever see anyone, I don't know if I would ever have started if I never had that, i am so so self conscious, but hey I do think the older you get the more you realise that other people are far too busy worrying what they look like to be bothered about what you look like. Like you i use it as my time to think, I love to have my music on too...its a great feeling of escape if only for a wee while :) Go us!! x