Regular moderate exercise log

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Other lesson well and truly reinforced is to go to my lovely little independent Army and Navy type store first for boots, fleeces, coats, and travel mugs. No other place in the whole wide world does them best.
Gosh, Army & Navy! that takes me back!!! Sadly none around here, but when I was a teenager I and all my trendy friends used to buy (they were almost free) wonderful ex-service coats from that kind of shop. You could choose pale grey/blue ex-Airforce or khaki ex-Army. I'm not sure what happened to the ex-Navy coats, but I bought a dark blue ex-Fire service coat with a sling inside for carrying an axe! They kept out the icy cold winds of the early 60s but they weighed a ton. Doubtless good training just walking around in them and we had of course no idea of the feather-weight gear that was to come so we thought they were great.

Reactions: kev-w

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love this little shop! The staff have been so helpful and encouraging of keeping me walking as well. They also remember me every time. Mind you, when I was commuting by train and losing small travel flasks on a regular basis, I'd walk in, head for the travel flasks and an innocent voice would enquire, "Bus, train or other odd place?"

My energy levels seem to have slumped and not much walking has happened over the last two days. Not sure if it's January meh-ness, tiredness or reaction from the sheer relief this GP is now taking the line I may well have been mis-diagnosed at the beginning and am I actually Type 1 rather than Type 2.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm getting back into a training routine again, managed legs Friday and light shoulders Saturday & chest this morning whilst waiting for the ice to clear, but I'm skipping swims, which I need to fix, and this evening went awry as the bright spark lost his blood tester this aft, which I need to fix also :/

You've got to see the funny side....

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
26814828_10156191038905116_7690469036043808340_n.jpg
So, back to the pool for an unplanned swim as my blood rose to 12 as a warm up for a back workout :)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A gym day off and I usually take my little un for a swim but she's ill, so I had another crack on my own, pushed for time and falling short by 1 min 45 seconds, and yes I'm sulking I didn't clock the half hour :) my shoulders holding up quite well, panic over there I guess.
26754964_10156193468790116_488581128_n.jpg

Mods, tell me to stop posting the link pics (size shrunk) if it takes your bandwidth or anything!

Reactions: Japes

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops... Were you very far from home?!

Only 10 minutes away at a rapid walk - and I did walk VERY rapidly home! I was soaked from head to foot! From now on I'm only walking near the pond in the day time!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Only 10 minutes away at a rapid walk - and I did walk VERY rapidly home! I was soaked from head to foot! From now on I'm only walking near the pond in the day time!

A very wise decision.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Off for a good long (longer than 10 miles) walking day. Decided to come home for lunch and change boots, though, as I'm still patiently waiting for the new ones, and prefer not to do more than 10 miles a day in current pairs, which are all due to be retired! It's not a bad plan in the winter anyway as packed lunches have much less of an appeal....

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I managed a leg session on Friday but have missed the shoulder session yesterday which is annoying though I managed 45 minutes in the pool just now with my little one, my bloods have been on the rise today, but the swim dropped them to 7 which did please me :)

Reactions: Japes

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shoulder session yesterday and a swim today but skipped my back session, blood was 10,2 going into the pool and 6.2 coming out so I'm pleased with that :)

26940573_10156208348490116_932006441_n.jpg

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've cut my swim times to suit my libre and managed 1km in 24 minutes this evening but had a mild hypo at the end, quickly cured :) .

Reactions: therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First workout in 2 weeks ( Aussie flu ).
Felt good to be back. Took it easy.
2 km row a tad under 7.40. No way near good enough :banghead::banghead::banghead:. Did a few other bits to get an hour under my belt.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry about the flu, @therower I'm sure the rest will build back up again once you've got your strength back properly!

Having got myself in a right pickle last year with miscalculating my walking monthly targets, I'm pleased to say I've definitely got it right this year, and am on target correctly.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Japes. It sounds like you've got all your targets set for this year.
Do you hit your targets and then stop or do you carry on past your target if you can?
Often find myself that reaching a set target is a great feeling but then doing that bit extra is where the real satisfaction kicks in.
Take care, I'm not sure we've seen the end of the bad weather just yet.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Japes. It sounds like you've got all your targets set for this year.
Do you hit your targets and then stop or do you carry on past your target if you can?
Often find myself that reaching a set target is a great feeling but then doing that bit extra is where the real satisfaction kicks in.
Take care, I'm not sure we've seen the end of the bad weather just yet.
I like to have a whole range of targets. Eg. for my Fitbit steps, 7000 is my bottom line. If I haven't done 7000, something is wrong. 10000 meets the target set for health by my Garmin. 14000 is my Fitbit target and 21000 is JOLLY GOOD! IMO it is important not to set oneself up for failure, but also to have some aims that are really ambitious. So, I agree, doing that bit extra feels great, but not if it invalidates one's lower attainments. They should be enjoyed and savoured too.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to work in monthly averages... which works very well for me, then I'm not beating myself up for the day when it all goes pear-shaped at work, and I don't have the mental energy to go for a walk.

I set myself a year's target in miles, work out what the daily step average would be, and take it from there. As long as my monthly average is over the daily step average, I don't really mind how it happens. It's all calculated on a spreadsheet, which also suits me.

I've got two lots of steps targets. Total daily steps and what my pedometer calls "aerobic" and I call "Continuous Walking, Brisk Pace for at least 10 minutes" The latter target is about 2/3rds of the former.

I do keep going once I've hit targets. Partly to have a bit of a buffer in case of illness, blisters, or injury. Partly because as my friends tell me, I'm kind of all or nothing!Partly it's helped me set this year's targets slightly higher as I really did smash last year's.

Last edited:

Wendy18168

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Big headed people. Politicians.
Hi everyone. I’ve been lurking on here for a long time and thought it’s about time I posted. I’ve been Type 2 since 2007. I’m finding it hard to keep motivated lately, I was a regular gym member and then just seemed to loose motivation as was having stomach issues. I started doing Military Boot Camp and absolutely loved it but after a CT Scan picked up a Fibroid in my womb the size of someone who’s 5 months pregnant. The Boot Camp told me I couldn’t continue until I had my operation. I feel like when I take 2 steps forward I get knocked back 10. I am a support worker in mental health and do 24 hour shifts. (15 hours then sleep) so am always tired. Can anyone recommend a good exercise while I’m at work? (I’m in the clients own property and don’t get a lot of time on my own in the 15 hours). Thank you in advance.