1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arrived here after watching The Truth About Carbs? Join the Low Carb Program for meal plans & 10 weeks of simple steps into your new lifestyle
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Regular moderate exercise log

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by RuthW, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Just off to return the unworn pair of new boots once I've printed out the receipt. Lesson well and truly learned about ordering boots on-line without having tried them on first. The worn pair will do for shorter walks, probably mostly country walking, but not longer ones on pavements which most of my walking is. Still, means a nice long walk between the various boots selling shops.

The skipping is proving fun... though not to be done before I've done some walking to warm up.

2. Japes

2 pairs of new boots, of my tried and tested variety, ordered. Apparently there has been a supply problem with that size for a month or so, as they've been on back order, but they will let me know as soon as they are available.

Other lesson well and truly reinforced is to go to my lovely little independent Army and Navy type store first for boots, fleeces, coats, and travel mugs. No other place in the whole wide world does them best.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Gosh, Army & Navy! that takes me back!!! Sadly none around here, but when I was a teenager I and all my trendy friends used to buy (they were almost free) wonderful ex-service coats from that kind of shop. You could choose pale grey/blue ex-Airforce or khaki ex-Army. I'm not sure what happened to the ex-Navy coats, but I bought a dark blue ex-Fire service coat with a sling inside for carrying an axe! They kept out the icy cold winds of the early 60s but they weighed a ton. Doubtless good training just walking around in them and we had of course no idea of the feather-weight gear that was to come so we thought they were great.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Japes

I love this little shop! The staff have been so helpful and encouraging of keeping me walking as well. They also remember me every time. Mind you, when I was commuting by train and losing small travel flasks on a regular basis, I'd walk in, head for the travel flasks and an innocent voice would enquire, "Bus, train or other odd place?"

My energy levels seem to have slumped and not much walking has happened over the last two days. Not sure if it's January meh-ness, tiredness or reaction from the sheer relief this GP is now taking the line I may well have been mis-diagnosed at the beginning and am I actually Type 1 rather than Type 2.

5. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm getting back into a training routine again, managed legs Friday and light shoulders Saturday & chest this morning whilst waiting for the ice to clear, but I'm skipping swims, which I need to fix, and this evening went awry as the bright spark lost his blood tester this aft, which I need to fix also :/

You've got to see the funny side....

• Hug Hug x 1
  6. kev-w

[​IMG] So, back to the pool for an unplanned swim as my blood rose to 12 as a warm up for a back workout :)

7. Polgara

Polgara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. kev-w

A gym day off and I usually take my little un for a swim but she's ill, so I had another crack on my own, pushed for time and falling short by 1 min 45 seconds, and yes I'm sulking I didn't clock the half hour :) my shoulders holding up quite well, panic over there I guess.
    [​IMG]
    Mods, tell me to stop posting the link pics (size shrunk) if it takes your bandwidth or anything!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Japes

10. Polgara

Only 10 minutes away at a rapid walk - and I did walk VERY rapidly home! I was soaked from head to foot! From now on I'm only walking near the pond in the day time!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Japes

A very wise decision.

12. Polgara

Yeah - I've joked about this here and on FB - but TBH if I'd have hit my head as I fell I could have easily have drowned. Lesson learned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Japes

Off for a good long (longer than 10 miles) walking day. Decided to come home for lunch and change boots, though, as I'm still patiently waiting for the new ones, and prefer not to do more than 10 miles a day in current pairs, which are all due to be retired! It's not a bad plan in the winter anyway as packed lunches have much less of an appeal....

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. kev-w

I managed a leg session on Friday but have missed the shoulder session yesterday which is annoying though I managed 45 minutes in the pool just now with my little one, my bloods have been on the rise today, but the swim dropped them to 7 which did please me :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. kev-w

Shoulder session yesterday and a swim today but skipped my back session, blood was 10,2 going into the pool and 6.2 coming out so I'm pleased with that :)

[​IMG]

16. kev-w

I've cut my swim times to suit my libre and managed 1km in 24 minutes this evening but had a mild hypo at the end, quickly cured :) .

• Like Like x 1
  17. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

First workout in 2 weeks ( Aussie flu ).
    Felt good to be back. Took it easy.
    2 km row a tad under 7.40. No way near good enough :banghead::banghead::banghead:. Did a few other bits to get an hour under my belt.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Japes

Sorry about the flu, @therower I'm sure the rest will build back up again once you've got your strength back properly!

Having got myself in a right pickle last year with miscalculating my walking monthly targets, I'm pleased to say I've definitely got it right this year, and am on target correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  19. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Japes. It sounds like you've got all your targets set for this year.
    Do you hit your targets and then stop or do you carry on past your target if you can?
    Often find myself that reaching a set target is a great feeling but then doing that bit extra is where the real satisfaction kicks in.
    Take care, I'm not sure we've seen the end of the bad weather just yet.

20. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I like to have a whole range of targets. Eg. for my Fitbit steps, 7000 is my bottom line. If I haven't done 7000, something is wrong. 10000 meets the target set for health by my Garmin. 14000 is my Fitbit target and 21000 is JOLLY GOOD! IMO it is important not to set oneself up for failure, but also to have some aims that are really ambitious. So, I agree, doing that bit extra feels great, but not if it invalidates one's lower attainments. They should be enjoyed and savoured too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook