Regular moderate exercise log

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Jumps up and down with great excitement! That's the Continuous Walking, Brisk Pace (walking for at 10 minutes at a time according to Mr Doofer the wonderful little pedometer) done for the year.

And there's even more excitement - after a testing of a theory or two, my blood sugars are finally slowly, but surely, heading back in the correct direction again. The daily trends have been good, but the starting point's been dreadful for some time and it's baffled both me and the GP. So, I've tried walking for at least an hour after meds, and before food, keeping all three meals very small. I'll keep this pattern up for the next couple of days, but I'll be delighted if it really gets me down and it stays down!!

Reactions: Magic172 and kev-w

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very active Christmas break so far! Ran yesterday (5.78km) and a shorter 3.73km run this morning which we followed with a 26.69km bike ride. Flat terrain, wind, dry with rainy spells, bit of sun, not too freezing,

Have now got my feet up. Others in this family get-together are cooking tonight (I got my two 'duty' evening meals out of the way on the first two nights - HAH!). Mr S and I are currently 'resting' until it's time to open a bottle.......

:):):)

Reactions: Japes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Before I completely slump in a heap tomorrow lunchtime and lose all my exercise credentials (did three days of 15 miles walks, but not a lot today, and probably won't tomorrow, what with Organ Playing Stuff...nearly there...) A very Happy Christmas to everyone on this thread! Thank you for your support and here's to 2018's Regular Moderate Exercise.

:)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To all participants of this part of the forum.
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Let's kick the ar*e / backside of diabetes in 2018.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my - I am SUCH a changed person. Pre-diabetes Japes would've used snow days as an excuse to stay in, eat junk food galore, and do as little as possible.

The Japes of now can't do that anymore!!

We have the snow back again. The waterproof steel toe capped boots I used during the first lot of snow and ice are no longer waterproof. The underneaths have finally cracked properly and are letting in the damp! RIP, oh wonderfully good and faithful boots.

I spent yesterday all narky as I didn't quite know what to do with myself. I wanted to walk, but the snow grips just didn't work on the walking boots, kept falling off, and I gave up and came home after a mile.

Then, I had a moment of genius! My walking boots are size 6, but my ordinary shoes, trainers and steel toe capped boots are all size 5. When I first started this walking malarkey and bought my first pair of walking boots I went for my usual size, but then was advised by experienced walkers to get a size larger. Which I did and it's great.

But I still have the size 5s. And the snow grips fit them fine. Even better, I've got some massive spare laces, which I've used to helped keep them on even better. It's all a bit Heath Robinson, but I am so proud of the designated snow walking boots. In fact, now I've recovered from the shopping trip, I'm off out with the camera to see what pictures I can get and catch up on yesterday's missing steps.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good thinking, @Japes ! And I love that there's no stopping you - snow or no snow!

I ran just over 6km on a beautiful frozen beach this morning - it was glorious! 28.65km on the bike too - cycle paths, roads, muddy bridleways - really lovely. Got back just before dark.

Had a rest day yesterday (well, a rest from exercise, put it that way) but on Boxing Day I ran 9km with the local-to-here running club (I didn't know a soul but they were very welcoming). Christmas Day was a freezing, gale-force sand-in-ya-face nightmare - didn't even manage 2.5km before the exfoliation factor from the sandstorm on the beach got the better of me!

I know it's not 6pm yet but I'm afraid I'm already halfway through a glass of half water, half Rioja. Well, it is Christmas.....!

;)

Reactions: therower

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You're just drinking my share and celebrating my new invention!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Snow Day Boots.jpg

Finally! Worked out how to post a photo.

Reactions: kev-w

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ooooooooooh @Japes , brilliant! Really clever - and those laces are really doing the job!

In recognition of your invention I'm very happy to share my half-and-half with you - would you like the half that's water or the half that's wine?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I managed yesterday & today to get to the gym so I'm pleased with that and my bloods steady away, but I'm becoming a hypochondriac I think, having read about 'frozen shoulder' on here I've changed my 'impingement' moan to a frozen shoulder one.

More likely due to age, wear & tear and previous injuries but hey....

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kev-w . Age, diabetes and especially weight training can have a huge impact on our shoulders.
So many weight training movements are detrimental to what are shoulders are designed for.
Shoulders are probably the most complex joint in the body and many exercises push them beyond what they are capable of.
Many weight trainers myself included suffer .....rotator cuff.....injuries. Extremely painful and restrictive.
Very difficult to cure/ repair damage.
I have found which exercises to avoid like the plague. Upright rowing, forward and side lats to name a few. Our shoulders are not designed to move this way with excessive resistance.
Shoulders for me is only over head press and shrugs.
More importantly though I do a 5 minute shoulder warm up routine to stretch and warm up all the muscles and tendons in the rotator cuff. It actually works wonders.
If you've got shoulder problems. YouTube rotator cuff for some good stretch exercises.
Only something that I spent a long time trying to cure with steroid injections and rest all to no avail.
It may be something to consider.
Good luck.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kev-w . Age, diabetes and especially weight training can have a huge impact on our shoulders.
So many weight training movements are detrimental to what are shoulders are designed for.
Shoulders are probably the most complex joint in the body and many exercises push them beyond what they are capable of.
Many weight trainers myself included suffer .....rotator cuff.....injuries. Extremely painful and restrictive.
Very difficult to cure/ repair damage.
I have found which exercises to avoid like the plague. Upright rowing, forward and side lats to name a few. Our shoulders are not designed to move this way with excessive resistance.
Shoulders for me is only over head press and shrugs.
More importantly though I do a 5 minute shoulder warm up routine to stretch and warm up all the muscles and tendons in the rotator cuff. It actually works wonders.
If you've got shoulder problems. YouTube rotator cuff for some good stretch exercises.
Only something that I spent a long time trying to cure with steroid injections and rest all to no avail.
It may be something to consider.
Good luck.

Cheers! I've had issues with my right one for a while, and elbow/bicep, Google has it down as many inflictions :) I even bought a 2nd hand 2 channel tens unit which helped till I found a few rotator cuff warm ups on you tube, and as you say it improves over a few months to be fair, and to be honest yesterday I didn't warm up properly as currently the gym's being overhauled (yup excuses :( ) and then used a smith machine for benching with as there's no free weights or proper dumbbells this week, so really it's self inflicted as it's not a machine I'd use by choice...

You mention upright rowing, I've been using dumbbells for that so my elbows come out and not high, as I read it's that part of the exercise that causes problems,, I keep the weight down for front & side raises and up reps mostly, and struggle with heavy pressing both overhead & bench these days.

Last edited:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi folks, rest day yesterday as we were on our way back from holiday (does power-washing bikes and lugging loads of stuff out of the car and into the house count as exercise?! - oh the joys of remote self-catering accommodation over Christmas) BUT today I made it to parkrun.

Very pleased with my time - I'd slowed right down when I came back to parkrun in October after the revelation that 'running doesn't HAVE TO hurt' - and since then I've been building up my strength and stamina with more frequent and longer runs as well as swimming and strength and conditioning sessions at the gym - anyway this morning they'd had to change the parkrun course due to flooding, and there was a massive bottleneck of runners at the start, plus some deep puddles all the way, but I nevertheless managed 31:37, having aimed for 33-34 minutes.

The environs of that PB of 29:00 earlier in the year might yet be reachable! All that escaping from family - sorry, running - over Christmas is really paying off!

Still tortoise-y rather than hare-y (hairy?) but I wouldn't have it any other way!

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rest Day to get everything up to date so I can start the New Year with no paperwork/admin/website stuff outstanding.

Then I have 7 days at home before 3 weeks in Australia so a chance to lay down a base and then continue it as I managed to book an apartment with a gym in the complex and (if I remember my downtown Melbourne correctly) I should be able to walk to the tournament every day.

Knees have been a bit complainy but not too bad, and I have discovered 10 & 20 minute Qi Gong Tai Chi routines on YouTube which will also get some use!

Happy New Year everyone!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Mostly housebound due to ice and now strong wind but did walk in fresh snow on Friday and made some great patterns with my trainers and stick rubber grip tip.
I loved it.......got home and defrosted my legs. Ha ha

Planing on a venture out on Tuesday but if wind drops i'll go for a walk. It's still early.

I'm soooo looking forward to spring!

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blowing a hooooooolie here today - wet wet wet and windy. Getting a bit 'ulp' about tomorrow's long run!

Have settled for housework today instead of any 'formal' exercise. Hoovering's done - ironing next. Oh the glamour............

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice oop North like :)

I'm just back from the pool with my little one, she played with a schoolmate whilst I managed 30 lengths breaststroke pain free and 3 pairs of crawl lengths that hurt my shoulder :/ 2 backstroke and found butterfly wasn't happening but the little un said it looked funny....

Blood started at 11 and finished at 6.1, but just a couple of hours after my breakfast injection I knocked .5u off so I'm happy with that :)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mr Doofer the Pedometer has a new battery.

I have two new pairs of walking boots. (Half price, so definitely worth getting 2 pairs :D)

Spreadsheet and new targets all good to go.

More creative walking projects well on the way to being planned.

2018 walking, here we come!!

Just about to do a whirling dervish housework couple of hours to persuade myself that it's today's postprandial walk, (it's raining, but not snowing, thankfully) as well as easing my Scottish mind about starting the New Year with a clean house. My Scottish ancestors (well, my great-aunts and gran) would turn in their graves if I didn't.

Reactions: kev-w