Regular moderate exercise log

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I apologise in advance.

Having done two walks over the last few days which involved A Lot of Mud I had to put everything I'd worn, including my coat into the wash today, and scrub both pairs of walking boots currently in use.

This is a guarantee of Poor Bank Holiday Weather (Or Traditional depending on your point of view). Either that or it's going to be a glorious day here tomorrow and I won't be able to go anywhere because nothing will have dried enough.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I apologise in advance.

Having done two walks over the last few days which involved A Lot of Mud I had to put everything I'd worn, including my coat into the wash today, and scrub both pairs of walking boots currently in use.

This is a guarantee of Poor Bank Holiday Weather (Or Traditional depending on your point of view). Either that or it's going to be a glorious day here tomorrow and I won't be able to go anywhere because nothing will have dried enough.
Well, so far here in Yorkshire we have had the traditional diabolical bank holiday weather. It has been so bad, so wet, above all so cold, I resolved to take the bus to a nearby town tomorrow to buy a wamer running jacket. This is something I have never needed, as I get so warm running, even at my slow pace, my ultra light shell has always been warm enough, and usually comes off after a mile. Well, my resolution faltered tonight when I looked at the forecast and saw heavy rain, East wind and temperatures under zero. Will I set off tomorrow morning with my umbrella? Will my umbrella survive that East wind? No guarantees!

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
10 minutes stepping

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
10 minutes cycling

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
10 minutes cycling
hoping im posting in the right thread
my exercise isnt really moderate but its my best
for now
:)

Reactions: Alexandra100

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
10 minutes cycling
hoping im posting in the right thread
my exercise isnt really moderate but its my best
for now
:)
Tell us more? It's hard to say anything in response to such laconic posts! But if you prefer to remain strong and silent, that's OK too, of course.

Reactions: cdpm

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @cdpm . If 10 minutes is what you do, you do it! I've been resorting to setting alarms for ten minute walks around the house, up and down the stairs as it's been so horribly wet out there.

Waterproofs were all drying out from getting soaked yesterday but I was going a bit stir crazy and needed out for a while after an odd middle bit of the day. (Friend's funeral - which involved seeing people I'd not seen for ages doing the tactless comments on my weight loss after which I really didn't want to face the food police who "know" all about diabetes from the media :rolleyes: all with their own views on what I should or shouldn't be eating. )

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
seeing people I'd not seen for ages doing the tactless comments on my weight loss after which I really didn't want to face the food police who "know" all about diabetes from the media :rolleyes: all with their own views on what I should or shouldn't be eating. )
Yes, there seems to be an infinite supply of those people who "know" so infuriatingly. Including a French friend with whom I converse via skype, who "knows" because he has been told at second hand about a diabetic friend of a friend, that diabetes is no big deal, you just go on as normal and eventually if it gets worse you just take a few pills and maybe some little injections, no problem. And as for tact! A very old friend who at least passed with flying colours the knowing all about it test, later responded to my having lost weight by saying, "What a shame, you were just right BEFORE"!!!

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i'd really like to do more than 10 minutes
but i have to work thru the pain to do that much
so i feel like its hardly any exercise
but i really want to do more

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i'd really like to do more than 10 minutes
but i have to work thru the pain to do that much
so i feel like its hardly any exercise
but i really want to do more
Don't be discouraged, 10 minutes is a worthwhile chunk of exercise. I use a Fitbit to motivate myself and it records all the steps I take even around the house, but if I move for 10 or more minutes consecutively it counts as "active minutes", which are considered to be more beneficial. I think Japes has something similar on her tracker. If you are managing 10 "active" minutes despite the pain that's not nothing. And well done for your determination!

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
set a timer for 15 mins.
instead of the usual 10
and nearly made the whole 15

Reactions: kev-w and Japes

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
set a timer for 15 mins.
instead of the usual 10
and nearly made the whole 15
Well done:):):).
Don't see it as nearly making 15 minutes.
See it as SMASHING the 10 minute barrier.
Sounds far better.
Keep pedalling :):):)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@cdpm Mr Doofer, my constant walking companion, is my lovely little pedometer which measures total daily steps plus what it calls "aerobic" steps and kicks into action when I've walked for more than 10 minutes. Not sure he works for cycling, but for what I do, he's brilliant. I am slightly annoyed he doesn't kick into action when I'm playing the organ, which I know other more sensitive devices do. (Either that or I'm not as energetic as other organists when using the pedalboard.)

The encouragement on this thread all through the process of me keeping going with exercise has helped enormously. From the first few days just over two years ago which is when I began walking seriously as a way to control blood sugars better, and 10 minutes was my comfortable limit - downhill preferably! I remember being almost in tears the first week thinking I'd never manage to walk a mile (which took nearly half an hour then - it's between 15 and 20 minutes now) and why couldn't just limiting food work for me. But, logging it all I can really see where I've persevered and slowly, but surely and more importantly safely, got to today where I'm planning my first all day walk properly since starting insulin a couple of months ago.

I still maintain my walking is moderate exercise, even if the distances and times are not, in most people's view, at all moderate. Main Work Colleague still splutters indignantly about my comment on the new boots at Christmas which didn't work well for me "only being good for 10 miles"... oops.

Reactions: cdpm and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still plodding away, my 51st yesterday :p and 1.25km in 29.52 breaststroke (8 seconds before the Libre turned me into a pumpkin or something) and a lighter chest session in the gym afterwards, I skipped legs today feeling weak but managed 30 mins in the pool but haven't looked at the data on my swim watch yet..

Just keep chipping away at your exercise @cdpm, the rower has it right there.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
End of a lazyish week, managed back and shoulders this aft, which I don't usually mix and then a swim with my young un, but funnily enough when we got in the pool her friend surprisingly was there too waiting for her, I say surprisingly as my young un looked surprised not so I had a tube of glucogel (10g) and did some 100m sets crawl with finger paddles and a pull buoy.

Sat in the foyer afterwards putting my trainers on, my young un asked to scan me, this little lass stared intently at us, standing up to look over, then asked her mum for her scanner, scanned her arm, smiled, nodded and walked off :)

I'm like 'aw bless' :)

Reactions: Japes

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Late start to the training week as I swam with the little un last night, but got my chest done this morning as I was rained off from work, and early tea swam around 800m in 2 and 4 length sets as the swim lane was slow and congested, I may have caused a little upset with a couple of lengths of fly and had a couple of collisions swimming back stroke but hey, my goggles steamed up :p

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've certainly been regular with the walking this week - but, um, somewhat immoderate in how much I've done.

However, all things being equal, I'll be totally back on target for the Continous Walking Brisk Pace 10 minutes at a time, which kind of fell behind during the insulin introductory phase. For yesterday's epic 12 hours out and about, I was utterly delighted I only needed two Detro tablets just to nudge me up enough to get to the next scheduled stop, and the rest of the day my numbers were pretty much bang on - seemed to have worked out how much less insulin/extra carbs I need for those kinds of days which makes me happier than being back on walking target. (Japes wanders off to dance happily for a few minutes always mindful it could all go to pot tomorrow but rejoicing for today!)

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Managed my back session when the rain came down, and as I was across town later visiting mum in a rehab hospital and grabbing a script for me from the hospital I had a swim in the Yearsley pool, this was built in 1908 and is 50 yards long :) (or 45m on a swim watch)with the original tank which I really enjoyed as I've not been for a while as I've a pool 5 minutes away from my door.

Edit, seems I missed an appearance from James Wilby at the Yearsley pool last night parading his commonwealth games medals :)

I managed 1375m breaststroke in 33.08 giving me a 2.24/100m average across town in my nearby pool that caused a sudden sugar drop when I got out, so I took too much glucose and seesawed upwards, missing my leg session I'd planned and have woke with a blood of 12.

Last edited: