Regular moderate exercise log

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only swam once last week but tonight did 1450m breaststroke in just over 33 minutes giving me a pace of 2.18s/100m, which I'm pleased about, and went on for a back session in the gym once I'd had some glucose as the swim had the libre arrow pointing down.

Reactions: Japes and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I did stretches in the pool on Sunday evening. No lengths but enough to swim a few yards.
Hoping to repeat again this weekend. Scarlet fever prohibiting little one thou. :mad:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks. I have arrived here after several of us on the morning fasting bg level started reporting our morning exercise to keep us motivated. Initially we thought about making our own thread but I found this one and felt joining this would be appropriate.
My own focus just now is to use morning exercise as a way to curb the rise in bg at what would be breakfast if I did not do IF. Research seems to point to something called the Randle cycle and moderate cardio/HIIT seems to bring my bg to heel if I exercise within 1 hour of fasting reading, drink something then take a reading about 2 hours after fasting.
Today I have done 30 mins static cycle with 5 HIIT sprints @ approx max hr.
I will invite others who were looking for a new home here so there may be a influx of us.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just seen this thread, so I will post here about my weekly exercise.
I weight train 3-4x a week. I split it up into muscle groups, but as I'm attempting to go back into powerlifting which is three lifts, Squat, Bench and Deadlift, I concentrate more on these lifts, I won't post what weights I attempt though, unless asked.
So todays exercise will be single leg-leg press 35x5, Thigh extensions 35x6. Then body weight squats followed by weighted squats if my shoulder flexibility will allow.
Tomorrow will be different.

Take care everyone.

Reactions: kev-w and Japes

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,
I’m hoping that posting here every day will help keep me motivated.

I lost a lot of muscle mass through illness last year (not diabetes related) and am having the devil’s own job trying to put it back.

@ianpspurs has gently egged me on and though it’s still early days I am already noticing benefits in better bg. ( esp fbg) so I’ve tagged along, hoping I can keep up.

This morning I’ve done 20mins moderate exercise on my static bike, then after a cup of tea took the dog for a 40min amble around the common. This is only around 3,000 steps and involves a lot of waiting around so hardly deserves to be put in the same category as exercise.
I will walk more and always manage 10k steps as a baseline, but I don’t walk very fast.
I try to do 10mins Hiit on my cycle before bed too. Will have to post that the following day.

@ickihun nice to see you here and glad you are getting to the pool, hope your little one recovers soon.

Reactions: Japes and ianpspurs

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi everyone,
I’m hoping that posting here every day will help keep me motivated.

I lost a lot of muscle mass through illness last year (not diabetes related) and am having the devil’s own job trying to put it back.

@ianpspurs has gently egged me on and though it’s still early days I am already noticing benefits in better bg. ( esp fbg) so I’ve tagged along, hoping I can keep up.

This morning I’ve done 20mins moderate exercise on my static bike, then after a cup of tea took the dog for a 40min amble around the common. This is only around 3,000 steps and involves a lot of waiting around so hardly deserves to be put in the same category as exercise.
I will walk more and always manage 10k steps as a baseline, but I don’t walk very fast.
I try to do 10mins Hiit on my cycle before bed too. Will have to post that the following day.

@ickihun nice to see you here and glad you are getting to the pool, hope your little one recovers soon.
Yes. We did get swimming but since I've been unable to walk so just back from GP who has changed me to dihydrocodeine, paracetamol and ibuprofen. Also MSK have advised my pregabalin to be doubled up. Soooo I'm hoping to go back Saturday with boys. With walking being less painful. I've only taken one new tablet but I'm pinning so much on it to take my horrendous walking pain away.
I loved my few yards of swimming. I'm in my happiest, in a pool.
I only took 11yr old last time but will have 5yr old monkey to help with his new armbands and goggles this time. Mr ickihun will be in tow too. Phew! I'm exhausted just thinging about the changing room fiasco.. to come. Ha ha
I love swimming. My fav. :) :) :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

I’m another one joining in with this thread. My exercise regime is, as far as is possible, built into the rest of my day to make it sustainable. So largely brisk walking on way to and from work - including getting on and off train early and going the long way round - lunchtime walks and walking instead of using public transport. Added to that I try and get to the gym a couple of times a week for weights/ abs work and do Pilates once a week supplemented by walking football on a Sunday morning.

Today was a meant to be a rest day as clocked up 37,000 steps on Sunday and just shy of 30,000 yesterday. Today was slow ambling around a garden and running a few errands. Added up to 16,000 steps but all at snails pace. Unfortunately this weekends walking seems to have set the shin splints I’ve been struggling with for about 9 months back off again.

Looking forward to checking in on here regularly to keep motivated.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooo... How exciting! Welcome to @Goonergal @DJC3 @ianpspurs and @johnpol . And waves at anyone else who I've not seen for a bit. It's been a busy time, workwise, and whilst I've been exercising, I've not been reporting it much.

I'm happily back to my current daily walking daily targets and seem to have got it sussed (for now) with my insulin needs. Walk to work, walk part way home, (depends on sugar levels) eat, then finish up the target number of steps after I've eaten/relaxed a bit. Seems to be working on all fronts.

Reactions: DJC3

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
This is just to say "hello". I'll be starting in this new exercise gang on Thursday. I've been working all day in London, too tired to start a new regime while all of the work is going on. But, 9641 steps done, not a lot but it shows I'm monitoring and will be better. @Goonergal @DJC3 @ianpspurs @ickihun I'll be with you soon:)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooo... How exciting! Welcome to @Goonergal @DJC3 @ianpspurs and @johnpol . And waves at anyone else who I've not seen for a bit. It's been a busy time, workwise, and whilst I've been exercising, I've not been reporting it much.

I'm happily back to my current daily walking daily targets and seem to have got it sussed (for now) with my insulin needs. Walk to work, walk part way home, (depends on sugar levels) eat, then finish up the target number of steps after I've eaten/relaxed a bit. Seems to be working on all fronts.
Thanks for the welcome Japes. There seem to be a few on here very much into walking. Along with some others I struggle with walking in my case pace is the issue but hopefully medics will resolve problems. I do my 10K steps as basic and am working on my Nordic walking. I do some weights at home and use the static bike frequently.

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am also doing some skipping! I wanted something for days when I couldn't walk, and also something I could do when time was short.

What a good idea!
Not sure I could do it now but it might be worth the price of a cheap skipping rope to try. I used to love skipping when I was little.
I was thinking of investing in a hoola (hula?)hoop as I read an article recently on the benefits.
Anyone here do that?

Reactions: ianpspurs

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite a light session in the gym this evening, my blood would have needed raising to swim first so I sacked that and spent a good while warming up as the gym was full of youths loitering and wasting the benches they were leaning on, no back to front baseball caps tho, I'm a bit set in my ways and it annoys me to have to change a session round, tho it's good when you do :p so I trained chest just on machines, no free weights.

Back session tomorrow and a swim with the child.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My only exercise is steps so if ok with u all I will add my steps for the day until I start to do more other exercise.

Absolutely fine, and welcome to the thread! Keeps me motivated to keep doing my steps as it really can make a difference.

Reactions: flexi06 and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
What a good idea!
Not sure I could do it now but it might be worth the price of a cheap skipping rope to try. I used to love skipping when I was little.
I was thinking of investing in a hoola (hula?)hoop as I read an article recently on the benefits.
Anyone here do that?
No but if I could I would as it would burnt from your visceral fat.. if you have some.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What a good idea!
Anyone here do that?

I don't use a hula hoop unless we get them out at work, but I do have a friend who does and swears by it as good exercise.

I was given a cheap skipping rope which was too long and annoying, and have another which visiting children use which is too small. I've ended up using rope from my camping supplies and it does me fine as I've cut it to the right length for me. Also not likely to use the camping supplies in the foreseeable future, but it has been lent out a few times so I've not got rid of it all.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs