Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Good Morning Ladies and Gents.

I have been reading through some of the previous posts about this topic but I guess everyones situation is different so no one elses post gives the specific advise we need, so here is another!

My wife is a paramedic here in Scotland and has a fantastic opportunity to relocate to Perth WA to work as a Paramedic there (all costs covered including 6 weeks accomodation). this would be under a 2 year 482 skilled worker visa. So my understanding with this is that through the reciprocal agreement, we get access to Medicare when we get there which gives me access to NDSS.

So my questions aren't around what we would get access too its more around quality of care over there compared to here and how it works with insulin pumps? For example, I'm getting towards the end of my 4 year cycle where I will be due a replacement, would I still get that from Aus?

Also, I know supplies are subsidised rather than free, what would typical costs look like under Medicare/NDSS? I expect to have more disposable in Aus but would this be eaten up by the cost of supplies?

Finally, what does Medigap insurance look like to cover some of the healthcare elements not covered by Medicare/NDSS? is this costly?

Finally, a bonus question for anyone living in Perth WA as I'm conscious its not diabetes related, do you have any knowledge on the housing situation? We plan to rent for two years while on the temp visa to decide if we like it or not before selling up here. Might take one visit from Aragog/Shelob and I want to come back home! lol. We seem to be getting mixed messages on the housing front though with a lot of people saying we will never find anything, others saying they found something with no issue. I'm worried I'm budgeting based on inaccurate prices online as people are saying you always pay more than the advertised price.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Antje77

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Kerr1992 , I can’t help with your questions but I’ll tag in @VashtiB who is in Australia and maybe has some advice for you.

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Hi folks, just looking to bump this up the list if possible? quite keen to hear from any 1 diabetics who have made the transition to Aus.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tagging @EllieM , who did move to Australia from the UK, but also has moved on to NZ after that.
Still, as a T1 she might have some wisdom to share.