Remember that guy who asked about not taking insulin?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Well, this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...iting-nearly-five-hours-for-an-ambulance.html

It doesn't specifically say so in the report but I'm betting that the poor woman was in DKA.

Most of the time diabetes is not very problematic to deal with but at the outliers of very high or very low blood sugars it can get very serious very quickly.

This could happen to any of us; let's make sure it doesn't.

Best

Dillinger

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Dillinger, I read that article and thought exactly the same, that this was the result of poorly controlled type 1 and DKA.

Sadly this is the grim reality of what can happen, I truly hope anyone who reads this and isn't managing or coping well can post about their feelings and we can collectively as a group try and help them get back on track, losing weight is a huge sacrifice to make vs the many complications that can come with badly managed type 1.

Reactions: 3 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just heard about this on the news tonight; how tragically sad.

For the first time since diagnosis I'm also feeling really quite scared of type 1 - following from this story I've read lots online about type 1s who suffered "rapid onset DKA" and just passed away suddenly. Really quite worrying; have always had the worry about slipping into a diabetic coma due to hypoglycaemia but wasn't aware of it also working the other way.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I just heard about this on the news tonight; how tragically sad.

For the first time since diagnosis I'm also feeling really quite scared of type 1 - following from this story I've read lots online about type 1s who suffered "rapid onset DKA" and just passed away suddenly. Really quite worrying; have always had the worry about slipping into a diabetic coma due to hypoglycaemia but wasn't aware of it also working the other way.
Firstly @pinewood, I think the key aspect of this story is the "poorly managed" piece. If you are maintaining insulin injections, the pace of onset of DKA is not likely to be rapid onset and you really shouldn't worry about it or expect it. Well managed T1 rarely results in this kind of thing without some other influence.

To illustrate this, I did an accidental experiment the other day. My pump cannula got pulled out and as you do in this scenario, my basal essentially ran out. Following this, my glucose level rose at a rate of 3.6 mmol/l/hr. So it's not a case that there are cases of rapid onset DKA. For most T1s with longer experience of the condition, in the absence of all insulin, DKA is likely within about 6 hours. Just by virtue of the way your body works.

The key thing is to be managing it and understanding what it going on, and I believe that you fit into this category. The unfortunate victim of the original article had a significant number of other issues that were affecting her ability to manage herself. We should always try and keep an eye out for these within ourselves.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As is the way with most things in the media this has both annoyed and horrified me.
Depending on the source reporting it they seem to be spinning it in different ways from attacking ambulance waiting times to having a go at the 111 service for not correctly prioritising the call.

My own personal take on this is firstly what Tim says, get yourself sorted so that you are generally well enough that you have a buffer period.
Listen to what your body is telling you, if you feel sick then test. If you are not sure how you feel then test.
Then finally I will make sure that anyone who I spend any time with knows what they should do if something goes wrong.

It is a truly sad reflection on the state of things that this had to happen to the poor woman and I think really highlights the lack of support many people diabetes get from their health care team.
We can't have Dr's and nurses following us around all the time so I think we need to accept our share of the responsibility and learn to manage the condition, educate those around us of what they may need to look out for and also not be afraid to ask for and demand the level of care we need.
I think many of us on the forum have probably got the first two points well in hand but the third one is something I know I certainly suck at.

Learn what you can and look after yourself folks, I am sure none of us likes to see this kind of story.

/A

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing that surprised me about this sad story is I read the young lady was a nurse?

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing that sank home here for me was the already long list of serious complications she was suffering from. Blindness and kidney damage etc. I wonder if these effects and her obvious long term neglect of her condition made this a more serious issue more quickly. It is tragic either way and I just hope that the "No insulin" guy does look at this to realise what a problem this can turn in to being

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The thing that surprised me about this sad story is I read the young lady was a nurse?
She also had a history of poor management. As I said elsewhere, what we don't see in the story is her mental health in relation to Diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people