Remission

Mr Hairyman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Just off the phone with my Diabetes Nurse, and following my third hba1c below 40, she's taking me off my meds and my remission trial period has begun. Been about 10 months since I got my score of 80 and my official diagnosis, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Thanks to you all for your help. I was initially planning to follow official guidance around switching to brown rice etc, but after reading about peoples experiences on here, I had the confidence and will to go properly low carb, and the results were amazing.

Obvs I'm not off down to Greggs for a potato pie now or anything. I'll still be on here and still be going low-carb.

andromache

Hi all
Just off the phone with my Diabetes Nurse, and following my third hba1c below 40, she's taking me off my meds and my remission trial period has begun. Been about 10 months since I got my score of 80 and my official diagnosis, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Thanks to you all for your help. I was initially planning to follow official guidance around switching to brown rice etc, but after reading about peoples experiences on here, I had the confidence and will to go properly low carb, and the results were amazing.

Obvs I'm not off down to Greggs for a potato pie now or anything. I'll still be on here and still be going low-carb.
What terrific news! Well done indeed.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Fantastic - well done.

Don’t be surprised if your HbA1C rises slightly off the metformin, but it should only be a few points at most - not enough to get you even into prediabetic range. As long as you keep the weight off, that is.

I speak as one who was there briefly but rebounded.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You deserve that potato pie! ;) Very well done.
@Mr Hairyman does deserve a reward. Though it doesn’t have to be a food reward. ;)

Another success story, well done Mr Hairyman.
The occasional carby food is probably fine. Just beware of high carb creeping back into daily diet. That is the reason it is good idea to keep on checking in and posting in forums.
(We don’t like to lose our winners!)

Chris24Main

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations!!

That's really great news, and good work sir..!
Nice to hear that low-carb is working for you; I think we can all do with success stories to keep us motivated...

Reactions: Mr Hairyman

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent news - well done.
By coincidence I had my first face-to-face appointment with the GP since over 4 years ago (end of 2019)
when we agreed that I come off medication. At the time I would have signed immediately if he would have told me that I can sustain this for years.

What you are doing is working well. I really hope that you find your new diet sustainable and wish you all the best on this next phase of your journey.