Renewing 3 year licence - number of hypos

Deadeye_Pete

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I've got the 3 year licence renewal paperwork through.
Since I'm now using a Dexcom, I've been able to run my BG level at a lower level, averaging 7.6 mmol/l and not the 10 - 15 I was before.

However, I do get more low warnings and more hypos.

How do DVLA take this into account? is there a cutoff point? for example, if you have more than 10 hypos a year then you don't get renewed.

I'm always careful about driving & BG level and living in the sticks I need to keep my licence.
But I don't want to lie to the DVLA on record either,

Help!

Thanks, Pete

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As long as you have hypo awareness (I believe you have to actually have hypo awareness rather than just depending on alarms from the CGM) and don't need help from anyone to recover then you should be fine

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

If you can detect when you are going low without the aid of a CGM, & you've not needed 3rd party help. "Ambulanced."
(Asking someone to pass the jelly babies don't count as needing "help.")

Then you should be fine for another 3 years..

Good luck.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
You are allowed hypos.. you could have 10 a day doesn't matter... so long as you recognised it and treated it yourself.

You must be hypo aware.. and not had to need the help of someone else to treat a hypo

Its a good idea to keep a diary of hypos. And detail the hypo. How you felt and how you treated it..

However for the 3 year renewal you self certify anyway.. so just make sure you answer carefully

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are allowed hypos.. you could have 10 a day doesn't matter... so long as you recognised it and treated it yourself.

You must be hypo aware.. and not had to need the help of someone else to treat a hypo

Its a good idea to keep a diary of hypos. And detail the hypo. How you felt and how you treated it..

However for the 3 year renewal you self certify anyway.. so just make sure you answer carefully

Hi,

From memory. The DIAB1 form you have to detect & be awair of some classic "steel magnolia," " old school" porcine insulin hypos DVLA believe from the advisors "happen" on "paper." When low.

So yeah, answer carfully indeed. There have been some needing to needlessly appeal..

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I had an issue when a gp completed a form As there is sometimes a switch from 'is aware,' to 'is not aware'

So yes read and understand and completes carefully

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe that a recent change was made to exclude hypos that occur while asleep.

It is the 'Needing assistance' i.e. Glucagon shot or paramedic to assist recovery that they are interested in, and this is '2 strike rule applies'. I think that applies if someone else needs to call the emergency number because you are incapacitated. Unless they think you are intoxicated, which sometimes can happen. Such callouts are registered on your medical records and your GP should be notified -at least they are in my area even if you recover on your own before they come.

Read the guidance regarding bgl levels when driving, and what to do if you do get a hypo when driving, Your bgl meter nowadays is designed to have sufficient memory to record if you trest before driving, and if there is any accident caused as a result of hypo then these can be examined and raised in court later - this legal requirement on the makers is to provide evidence which is why you cannot normally erase any duff readings from the meter, even if you can in an uploaded analysis later.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe they only revoke if you have had more than one - ie two or more hypos requiring assistance.