Renewing driving licence at 70 - Form D4 - Metformin

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I need to get my licence renewed and as I have categories C1 and D1 (small lorry and non-commercial minibus) which I don't want to lose I need to fill in forms D2 and D4.

Covid-19 is as usual throwing a spanner in the works as the DVLA forms haven't been sent out automatically, and Form D2 can only be sent by post (I have applied on line).

I am using form D1 (available at your local Post Office).

This brings us to Form D4 (downloaded) which is the medical check up.

Section 2 is for Diabetes Mellitus.
Question 1 is about diabetes management. Items (a) to (e) all list various medication.
Item (e) is oral hypoglycemic agents and diet. I assume this includes Metformin.
Item (f) is Diet only.

The confusing thing is Question 2.
It gives a whole list of testing actions and things to have available in case of a hypo.
As far as I know a T2 on diet or diet + Metformin doesn't need to do any of this testing before, during or after driving.
So logically the answer to every item is NO.
However this doesn't feel right.

Question 3 "Is there a full awareness of hypoglycemia?".
Again the answer is NO because I've never had a hypo, nor would I expect to.

Bottom line - can someone who has already filled this form out reassure me that answering NO to both testing and hypo awareness is fine if you are on diet and Metformin.

I assume someone looks at it all and goes "Metformin? OK that's fine.".

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think "oral hypoglycemic agent" only covers drugs that create a risk of hypos.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to get my licence renewed and as I have categories C1 and D1 (small lorry and non-commercial minibus) which I don't want to lose I need to fill in forms D2 and D4.

Covid-19 is as usual throwing a spanner in the works as the DVLA forms haven't been sent out automatically, and Form D2 can only be sent by post (I have applied on line).

I am using form D1 (available at your local Post Office).

This brings us to Form D4 (downloaded) which is the medical check up.

Section 2 is for Diabetes Mellitus.
Question 1 is about diabetes management. Items (a) to (e) all list various medication.
Item (e) is oral hypoglycemic agents and diet. I assume this includes Metformin.
Item (f) is Diet only.

The confusing thing is Question 2.
It gives a whole list of testing actions and things to have available in case of a hypo.
As far as I know a T2 on diet or diet + Metformin doesn't need to do any of this testing before, during or after driving.
So logically the answer to every item is NO.
However this doesn't feel right.

Question 3 "Is there a full awareness of hypoglycemia?".
Again the answer is NO because I've never had a hypo, nor would I expect to.

Bottom line - can someone who has already filled this form out reassure me that answering NO to both testing and hypo awareness is fine if you are on diet and Metformin.

I assume someone looks at it all and goes "Metformin? OK that's fine.".

LittleGrayCat - You could try ringing the Diabetes UK helpline. They have usually encountered most situations on these common forms.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/how_we_help/helpline

Contact details are here:

upload_2020-8-22_10-36-19.png

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think "oral hypoglycemic agent" only covers drugs that create a risk of hypos.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/diabetes-and-oral-hypoglycemics.html
includes Biguanides.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/biguanides.html
says:
"The only available biguanide medication is metformin, which is commonly used as a first-line treatment for type 2 diabetes (i.e. the first option for type 2 diabetics who are unable to control their blood sugars through diet and exercise alone)."

I thought that that only drugs with a Hypo risk were notifiable to DVLA, which I still think is correct.

I was surprised to see that Metformin was classed as an oral hypoglycemic.

However the flow of the Medical assessment doesn't skip around the questions about testing and hypo awareness even if you re on diet alone.

I think that I may be too logical for this form.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@DCUKMod Good idea. I'll ring them on Monday.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/diabetes-and-oral-hypoglycemics.html
includes Biguanides.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/biguanides.html
says:
"The only available biguanide medication is metformin, which is commonly used as a first-line treatment for type 2 diabetes (i.e. the first option for type 2 diabetics who are unable to control their blood sugars through diet and exercise alone)."

I thought that that only drugs with a Hypo risk were notifiable to DVLA, which I still think is correct.

I was surprised to see that Metformin was classed as an oral hypoglycemic.

However the flow of the Medical assessment doesn't skip around the questions about testing and hypo awareness even if you re on diet alone.

I think that I may be too logical for this form.
According to this you don't need a form D4 at the moment.
https://www.gov.uk/renew-lorry-bus-coach-licence/45-or-over

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes