1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Resistant starch

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by Sam9860, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Sam9860

Sam9860 · Newbie

Hello, I new to this site. I'm into the Keto life style and have been doing some research into Resistant starch, cooking potatoes, pasta and rice, cooling it and then eating it cold or reheated, apparently this method changes the carbs in the starch to fiber, I look forward to your comments.
    Regards
    Sam9860

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I think it "works" for some but not for others.. try it (if you really want to ) and test and see is the only way to know for sure what it does to you.
    Personally I just don't consider that stuff to even be food any more.

Oops edit to add Hi and welcome by the way.

3. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

Even if it doesn’t spike your blood sugar (I know it would for me) there are other things to consider. It would still increase insulin production and as a type 2 we tend to already have too much of that in our systems. causing inflammation and weight gain.

I prefer bacon, cheese, and various meats that keep my BG steady.

4. ChristieM

ChristieM Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I very, very rarely eat rice or pasta anymore and I don’t miss them at all. However I would miss potatoes and toast (not bothered about bread itself). So I also read this when I was diagnosed in 2017 and I cook one new potato, cut in half so it looks like two, cool it and then either roast or fry it. I may have got this wrong but I believe the fat helps. I freeze my bread, after slicing it very thinly. Most days I have two slices for breakfast toasted from frozen. Again I read this helps. My latest HbA1c reading was 39 so not doing too bad.

5. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Results are very specific to the individual.
    I'd be really interested to hear yours when you've tried and tested bg afterwards

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Starch, if you look at the composition is 100% carbohydrate.
    So in any form, would produce a spike, when it is preferable to have a curve, and low enough not to create too much insulin or glucose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook