rest time

scarborough

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My employer as asked me to do some extra shifts. He now want me to do these shift on a permanent base. yippee I said. the bad news is travel. I set of at 10.00 spend 1.5 hours on the bus to work. do 2 hours work. have 20m ins off where a change of uniform and distance from work station to staff room and away again to work station may take 10 min . I then work for 3 hours finishing at 18.00. The extra shifts start at 11.00 and finish at 04.30 but have to wait for a bus at 05.15. again 2 hours bus home getting home 07.30. back out again at 10am to catch bus back to work. (move house) Can I get tavel help for the access to work team. I have visual problem and cannot drive or ride a bike

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Might be worth checking with a local welfare rights team. For example if you qualify for DLA or pip you may get a mobility allowance that could find taxis at least some of the time
Also wondering if there are any car share possibilities? Take care sounds though all that traveling on top of shifts

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The extra shifts start at 11.00 and finish at 04.30
If these shifts start at 1100 and finish at 0430, they are 17 hours and 30 minutes long! under the Working Time Regulations you must have a break of at least 8 hours between shifts, which means when you finish at 0430 you should not start next shift before 1230. You seem to be saying that your normal shifts start at 1130, and your new shifts start at 1100 which would be unlawful.

I understand that you would want to earn more money, but these regulations are there to protect your health. With the travelling time as well you aren't going to get much sleep.You need to take care of your health as a T2. Tiredness and lack of enough sleep could impact on your diabetes.

Last edited:
Reactions: azure
S

Shar67

I believe the op is saying the 2nd shift os 23.00 to 04.30.
1st point you are only entitled to a paid 20 minute break if you work for 6 hours or more so the 20 minutes you get are getting are for benefit of employer not you. As Prem51 has said law states you need a break of at least 8 hours between shifts.
No one with the best will on the world can manage on 2 hours sleep between shifts.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well if the new shifts are 2300-0430, and your regular shifts are 1130-1800 there isn't an 8 hour gap between them.