Results in advance of review on Monday

iainf1

I am based in Scotland and have signed up to the NHS MyDiabetesMyWay website which has some of the results of blood tests taken a week past Friday.
The cholesterol level has dropped from 3.6 to 3.3 over the last six months and I have also lost a stone in weight in this period. The Creatinine figure, which was 102 on diagnosis last August and dropped to 100 by my last review in November, has increased to 101.
The Hba1c results has not been posted yet:(
Can someone advise what these figures mean, please? Should I be worried that the Creatinine figure has gone up?
I have been doing a lot of exercise and also changed my diet so now eat low fat foods, lots of fruit and veg and have cut out most of the sugary and fatty foods I used to live on. Pain au chocolat has now been replaced by reduced sugar Alpen muesli, Coke for zero calorie Sprite etc so I am hoping the Hba1c figure will also be down (it dropped from 12.1 to 8.1 from diagnosis to first review after three months on diet alone) and I have maintained the diet and also started going to the gym in the last few months.

MaryJ

Hi Iain,

Sorry I don't know about the creatinine figs. But......

Well done on the weight loss and reduced cholesterol..

Re the HBA1c test - good reduction from 12.1 to 8.1 hopefully another decrease. If you get a great result Brill, well done, keep doing what you're doing, its working for you

If it's not as low as you would like to see, have a look at what you're eating - my reason for saying this is you mention 'lots of fruit and veg' - the veg is on the whole a good thing but watch the rooty types (i added beetroot to my salad to jazz it up a bit and the read went over 8.5, so got rid of that quick smart). Fruit you definately need to watch. Not many of us can handle much fruit , usually the berry types are better.

Also the low sugar Alpen rang alarm bells - low sugar doesn't = good for us. How does this cereal affect your bg?

Let us know how you get on

Mary x

iainf1

Mary,

I switched to Alpen No Added Sugar (it is the blue bag/box) on the advice of the local diabetic dietitian. I don't test, so have no idea. I will be suggesting I start testing at the appointment on Monday, but I suspect the answer will depend very much on how the HbA1c results come out.

Iain

Grazer

iainf1 said:
I switched to Alpen No Added Sugar (it is the blue bag/box) on the advice of the local diabetic dietitian.

Hi Iainf! Wouldn't neccesarily rely on the dietician - if they are anything like the vast majority, you won't get good guidance. It's not just the sugars that count: they are just a refined carbohydrate. You need to look at total carb content under nutritional guide. It's the carbs that get you! you definitely need to test so you can see how the different foods affect you. Two hours after eating, test. if you record more than 7.8, cut out some of the carbs you had in that meal the next time. Concentrate on that rather than worrying about the fats. It's the sugar levels we need to be religious about, and the things that raise them; that's the carbs, not the fats.
Good luck with the review!