Retinopathy- bit of a whinge I'm afraid :-(

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
Hi friends.

Well, another session of laser just gone by- this time, Fibrosis diagnosed for the first time. Hi ho, at lesat they spotted it and are working to at least slow things down a tad.

My whinge? That even my sainted mother has fallen for the popular myth that all our problems as diabetics are our own **** fault- "just eat properly and you'll have no more problems"- gawd'elp us. Would that life were so ruddy simple, can't think as how ANY of us would ever need laser again (yet alone vitrectomies etc...)

Tell you, I'd gladly swap my pancreas and eyes for something more reliable. My sugars are pretty good (typical morning reading 5.2-6.3), I eat plenty of veggies, I'm teetotal and never did smoke, not overweight by much if any... even so, my eyes are near the limits of what can be lasered, and my peripheral vision is gone to hell.

Nor am I unique, alas...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Diabetic Retinopathy is an awful condition Mark and you have my sympathy, this must be so hard for you given your problems with Fibrosis.

I was reading a post just a few months ago whereby someone who had only had type 1 diabetes for only 5 years (and had Hba1c's in the 5's in all this time) went on to develop retinopathy and needed laser treatment, diabetes can be unforgiving sometimes and we should never become complacent about what this condition can do.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I agree with Noblehead, unfortunately complications do happen, length of time of diabetes, control etc I have had numerous lasering, on my eyes, mainly the right but then a double session on the left, painfully uncomfortable and an operation last year for a detached Retina. But came through it and always hoping for the best. outcome with the big D.

Take care and best wishes RRB

Reactions: 4 people