Retinopathy & Excercise

Lovinlife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Had my first baby in March 3 wks later told I had background Retinopathy I imagine it was brought on by the pregnancy. Started a gym program today which has a good bit of weight lifting thinking it will be great for helping my diabetes but could it actually be harmful to my eyes?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya @Lovinlife Exercise is very beneficial to your blood glucose levels so it shouldn't have any detrimental effect to your eyes ;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Lovinlife

It goes without saying that if your unsure about the risks have a quick chat with the eye screening team, Ophthalmologist, Consultant or your GP who is monitoring your condition.

When I developed background retinopathy (non-proliferative) I wasn't advised to avoid exercise and it was only when it progresses to the proloferative stage that I was advised not to carry out any strenuous exercising or heavy lifting. The reason is I believe is to do with increased blood pressure and the damage it could do to the delicate blood vessels that have grown in the eye during the proliferative stage of diabetic retinopathy, that is why when retinopathy is diagnosed they advise that patients are careful to not only control their bg levels but also their bp and cholesterol too.

But as @Juicyj says exercise is great for all round health so don't let the condition deter you, but again if in doubt do check just to be sure.

Lovinlife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for all the tips God i do tend to hold my breath gonna have to try stop that!!! Noblehead how is your retinopathy now? I was only diagnosed diabetic 3 years when I found out bout the retinopathy it's scary especially when you have a kid that you want to see growing up

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Noblehead how is your retinopathy now? I was only diagnosed diabetic 3 years when I found out bout the retinopathy it's scary especially when you have a kid that you want to see growing up

Hi again @Lovinlife

Thankfully I've been problem-free for the last 12 years, still have to attend regular check-ups at the Ophthalmology Clinic but I don't mind that at all, it's peace of mind when your told all is fine and they send you on your way.

Around the time I was diagnosed with background retinopathy my first child was born so I know where your coming from, but provided you look after your diabetes, bp and cholesterol levels and eat a good diet (one rich in fruit & veg) and keep up with the exercise then hopefully all will be fine.

Many people do get told they have background retinopathy and it never progresses, as where others (much like myself) are less fortunate and it progresses to the proloferative stage, but if you want to know more about the condition then have a look at the following website, it's by far the best resource for information and advice on diabetic retinopathy:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/Information_for_patients.html

Best wishes and good luck and thanks for asking about my retinopathy :)

Lovinlife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good to hear all is well with you! I like to hear positive stories and the Retinopathy is a good kick up the backside to keep me motivated so you have to look at the positives! Thanx again for words of reassurance and encouragement!

Reactions: 2 people