1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Retinopathy & Excercise

Discussion in 'Diabetic Retinopathy' started by Lovinlife, Aug 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Lovinlife

Lovinlife Type 1 · Member

Had my first baby in March 3 wks later told I had background Retinopathy I imagine it was brought on by the pregnancy. Started a gym program today which has a good bit of weight lifting thinking it will be great for helping my diabetes but could it actually be harmful to my eyes?

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Heya @Lovinlife Exercise is very beneficial to your blood glucose levels so it shouldn't have any detrimental effect to your eyes ;)

3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Hi @Lovinlife

It goes without saying that if your unsure about the risks have a quick chat with the eye screening team, Ophthalmologist, Consultant or your GP who is monitoring your condition.

When I developed background retinopathy (non-proliferative) I wasn't advised to avoid exercise and it was only when it progresses to the proloferative stage that I was advised not to carry out any strenuous exercising or heavy lifting. The reason is I believe is to do with increased blood pressure and the damage it could do to the delicate blood vessels that have grown in the eye during the proliferative stage of diabetic retinopathy, that is why when retinopathy is diagnosed they advise that patients are careful to not only control their bg levels but also their bp and cholesterol too.

But as @Juicyj says exercise is great for all round health so don't let the condition deter you, but again if in doubt do check just to be sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Just make sure you don't hold your breath during lifting as this would spike the blood pressure.

5. Lovinlife

Thanks for all the tips God i do tend to hold my breath gonna have to try stop that!!! Noblehead how is your retinopathy now? I was only diagnosed diabetic 3 years when I found out bout the retinopathy it's scary especially when you have a kid that you want to see growing up

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Hi again @Lovinlife

Thankfully I've been problem-free for the last 12 years, still have to attend regular check-ups at the Ophthalmology Clinic but I don't mind that at all, it's peace of mind when your told all is fine and they send you on your way.

Around the time I was diagnosed with background retinopathy my first child was born so I know where your coming from, but provided you look after your diabetes, bp and cholesterol levels and eat a good diet (one rich in fruit & veg) and keep up with the exercise then hopefully all will be fine.

Many people do get told they have background retinopathy and it never progresses, as where others (much like myself) are less fortunate and it progresses to the proloferative stage, but if you want to know more about the condition then have a look at the following website, it's by far the best resource for information and advice on diabetic retinopathy:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/Information_for_patients.html

Best wishes and good luck and thanks for asking about my retinopathy :)

7. Lovinlife

Good to hear all is well with you! I like to hear positive stories and the Retinopathy is a good kick up the backside to keep me motivated so you have to look at the positives! Thanx again for words of reassurance and encouragement!

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook