1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

retinopathy

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by bedshaped2000, Mar 5, 2012.

1. bedshaped2000

bedshaped2000 · Well-Known Member

ive been knocked for six this morning. although my last hba1c was 5.5 and my colesteral was ok i received a letter this morning saying that my eye photos have some signs of diabetic retinopathy. begining to wonder if this low carb is all worth it now :(

2. Unbeliever

Unbeliever · Well-Known Member

Most diabetics have some signs of retinopathy. No need to panic. Yes it is worth keeping control by low carbing as this obviously works for you.

Keeping control will sop the retinopathy progressing and may even reverse it.

3. WhitbyJet

WhitbyJet · Well-Known Member

Oh I am so sorry, I think I know how you are feeling, I have been low carbing with Hb1AC never higher than 5.2, avoiding post prandial spikes, eating plenty of fresh veggies and berries, drinking tea,all supposed to be full of antioxidants that are so beneficial for our bodies. including they eyes.....and then, a few months ago it was, I woke up and saw black blotches in front of me!!

I had a bleed in my left eye, was treated with laser, luckily my retina was fine, I just had a follow up check up last Thursday, all looks ok.
    It was such a shock to me, thought with my careful control of bg levels, surely nothing can happen to me, even my consultant was visibly upset, but sadly we dont get a guarantee.
    Yes careful control of bg levels is still very, very important, whether you achieve it by low carbing or other means, its important to keep good levels, or things could even get worse than an occasional bleed in the eye, that can be fairly easily dealt with (<<<words of wisdom from my consultant after I asked 'is it b%^$^y worth it').

4. bedshaped2000

bedshaped2000 · Well-Known Member

thanks just thought i was untouchable now ive lost the weight and controlled bgs.

5. WhitbyJet

WhitbyJet · Well-Known Member

I know, thats what I used to think, then bang, wallop....still we are lucky if its something relatively minor.
    Keep up the good control, its important, hopefully we dont get too many of these blips.

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Keep a check on your bg, bp and cholesterol and hopefully the retinopathy will not progress, my Opthamologist told me a diet including fresh fruit & vegetables which are dark in colour may help aid eye health.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook