retinopathy

bedshaped2000

ive been knocked for six this morning. although my last hba1c was 5.5 and my colesteral was ok i received a letter this morning saying that my eye photos have some signs of diabetic retinopathy. begining to wonder if this low carb is all worth it now :(

Unbeliever

Most diabetics have some signs of retinopathy. No need to panic. Yes it is worth keeping control by low carbing as this obviously works for you.

Keeping control will sop the retinopathy progressing and may even reverse it.

WhitbyJet

Oh I am so sorry, I think I know how you are feeling, I have been low carbing with Hb1AC never higher than 5.2, avoiding post prandial spikes, eating plenty of fresh veggies and berries, drinking tea,all supposed to be full of antioxidants that are so beneficial for our bodies. including they eyes.....and then, a few months ago it was, I woke up and saw black blotches in front of me!!

I had a bleed in my left eye, was treated with laser, luckily my retina was fine, I just had a follow up check up last Thursday, all looks ok.
It was such a shock to me, thought with my careful control of bg levels, surely nothing can happen to me, even my consultant was visibly upset, but sadly we dont get a guarantee.
Yes careful control of bg levels is still very, very important, whether you achieve it by low carbing or other means, its important to keep good levels, or things could even get worse than an occasional bleed in the eye, that can be fairly easily dealt with (<<<words of wisdom from my consultant after I asked 'is it b%^$^y worth it').

WhitbyJet

I know, thats what I used to think, then bang, wallop....still we are lucky if its something relatively minor.
Keep up the good control, its important, hopefully we dont get too many of these blips.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Keep a check on your bg, bp and cholesterol and hopefully the retinopathy will not progress, my Opthamologist told me a diet including fresh fruit & vegetables which are dark in colour may help aid eye health.