1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Returning member

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by collectingrocks, Aug 18, 2019.

1. collectingrocks

collectingrocks · Well-Known Member

I am a lapsed member of the forum and have rejoined today. My last HbA1C was 5.6 a few years ago. I know this is "old money" so not sure what this translates to in "new money"

I've kinda fallen off the wagon in the last few years and being of a certain age with plenty of belly fat, the fear of possible Type 2 has kicked back in again.

Is the fasting glucose test still done these days? And is it reliable?

I've had the odd carb-rich meal and within minutes have fallen asleep due to sudden fatigue. I know I haven't been sleeping well at times but wonder if this is reactive hypoglycaemia and if this is a precursor to Type 2 diabetes?

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome back, @collectingrocks !
    We can't diagnose here, but as it happened shortly after eating it sounds more like fatigue from you bg going up than like a hypo. No way to tell for sure without testing though.

Why not visit your GP to ask for a test?

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. collectingrocks

I did consider high BG initially. I visited a relative where we had chip shop fish and chips. I did have lashings of vinegar. I also had a very small glass of Prosecco (literally two small mouthfuls) and normally, I would not have any reaction. I was lacking in sleep however due to a recent bereavement

I do intend visiting my GP when I'm able. I used to have friends working in bloods where I could just walk in and have an FGT done but they have all left :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome back @collectingrocks an HbA1c of 5.6 % translates to 37.7

Definitely sounds like a trip to the doctor would be useful. Do you have a blood glucose meter you can use in the meantime?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

An hba1c would be more useful than a fasting blood test, in my opinion... And a doctor could do a spot blood sugar test at the surgery....
    Best to bite the bullet and just go to see your doctor.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @collectingrocks the doctor is the person who can help.
    Did you have a formal diagnosis of diabetes before?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. The GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) isn't done much these days as the HBa1C does a good job. A fasting glucose check isn't that much use due to the overnight liver dump so rely either on an HBA1C or a few meter tests 2 hours after a typical meal. The local pharmacy may be able to do finger prick tests or see the GP of course. An HBa1C of 5.6% is fine

• Like Like x 2
  8. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@collectingrocks presumably you haven’t been having annual diabetic reviews. It will be good idea to see the doctor for a check up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. collectingrocks

Thanks guys

Since my last tests and returning to normal range from prediabetic, I just got on with life content that I didn't have diabetes

Now I'm a few years older and need to take charge again

Yes, definately a trip to the GP when I can get an appointment!

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook