Reversal of type 2 after 7 years

MDAVIES65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Is it possible to reverse type 2 diabetes after 7.5 years. Until last week my bg was averaging 6 mols on my meter. Suddenly my bg's dropped to 2.1, with no changes to diet or medication. Took all day to get my bg's back above 4, then suddenly they went to 10.6 and then dropped to 4.4 before bed. I have tested my normal meter and that is reading ok. I have also done tests with a second meter. I spoke to my diabetic team and they took me of my gliclazide tablets, but bg's have rarely been over 5 since that episode of hypos. Saw my Dr yesterday and they have reduced my Metformin from 850 to 500 three times a day. Blood tests done today. I am now on Metformin and Lyxumia. In the last 18 months I have lost 2.5 stone and reduced my waist size from a 44" to a 36". The Dr's are saying that I am now over controlled or I'm no longer a diabetic. Prior to the hypos I was on Metformin x3, gliclazide x3 and the Lyxumia injection.

Reactions: Decruz

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As I understand the current scientific literature at the amount, this could very well be possible. What you have to remember is that type 2 diabetes is a very much genetic disease, that is brought on by excess bodyfat, of the wrong kind, but this extra weight can only cause diabetes if you are genetically predisposed to it.

You can be severally obese with lots of extra weight, and never get diabetes, because you were lucky with your diabetes genes, but you can also have a bmi of 20 and have the disease, because just some kgs of extra fat put you over the diabetes threshold. This is very individual.

A weightloss of 2.5 stone is very impressive, and this i probably what caused you to lose your diabetes. However, if you put back that weight on you will get diabetes again. Everybody has this personal fat threshold, and if they go over this, they will get diabetes. If they lose weight below this threshold, they will lose it again. Diabetes is a state on spectrum determined by your weight, and your genetics,and this is very individual.

Below are some very good examples of this.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122104219

Article about twins, one got diabetes the other does not, they had a weight difference of only 20 pounds when the diabetic one got diagnosed and the healthy was in danger of developing it. He lost some weight, and he has still not developed it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wellbeing/health-advice/i-reversed-my-diabetes-by-changing-my-diet/

Scottish mp who cured his diabetes by going on the newcastle diet. He still has some extra weight, but lost something like your weightloss and that was enough for his genetics.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/type-2-diabetes-diet-cure

Journalist who lost his diabetes with a weightloss of 10 kgs, he was already skinny but had bad diabetes genes. he also has a personal website http://www.reversingtype2diabetes.com/
He updates it,and still is free from diabetes.

So in short you can cure your diabetes as long as you are well below your personal fat threshold, go over it and you will develop it again.

congratulations

Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To me there is a big difference in controlling your diabetes and curing it, to me a cure would allow me to eat a apple crumble covered in sugar followed by a couple of bottles of coke............:) the way any non diabetic person can............

If I could not do that I would be controlling it, which is fine as far as it goes , more than fine to be fair:) but have read a few "I have cured diabetes" stories where the cure involves never pigging out on sugar etc,,,,,,,,,,, so not a cure just controlled..........

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
To me there is a big difference in controlling your diabetes and curing it, to me a cure would allow me to eat a apple crumble covered in sugar followed by a couple of bottles of coke............:) the way any non diabetic person can............

If I could not do that I would be controlling it, which is fine as far as it goes , more than fine to be fair:) but have read a few "I have cured diabetes" stories where the cure involves never pigging out on sugar etc,,,,,,,,,,, so not a cure just controlled..........

If you read the link about the scottish MP Collin Beattie you would see that he can do those things. Quote from the article:

Now a year on, there’s still no sign of it and I’m permanently off my medication. Every few weeks I spend a few days back on the diet, sticking rigidly to 800 calorie days, but, other than that, I’ve maintained the same lifestyle as before. I eat the same foods (including chocolate and brownies) although I drink less alcohol; giving up for eight weeks was surprisingly easy and I’ve learnt to swap wine for a soft drink in the evenings.

End quote

Being a cured diabetic means that you have the glucose control of somebody non-diabetic. That means you should be able to eat like you describe and not have any bloodsugar spikes. This is what is happening to this guy, he is off of all his medications.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you read the link about the scottish MP Collin Beattie you would see that he can do those things. Quote from the article:

Now a year on, there’s still no sign of it and I’m permanently off my medication. Every few weeks I spend a few days back on the diet, sticking rigidly to 800 calorie days, but, other than that, I’ve maintained the same lifestyle as before. I eat the same foods (including chocolate and brownies) although I drink less alcohol; giving up for eight weeks was surprisingly easy and I’ve learnt to swap wine for a soft drink in the evenings.

End quote

Being a cured diabetic means that you have the glucose control of somebody non-diabetic. That means you should be able to eat like you describe and not have any bloodsugar spikes. This is what is happening to this guy, he is off of all his medications.

Cheers it great whats he has done.... but I would still categorize him as having controlled his diabetes as he says he still does the 800 calorie days ..... would have been handy if he tried without the diet days and saw how it went...........

"The question for researchers, who are now working on identifying the type of diet that can keep diabetes at bay after reversal"

A difference in semantics maybe but for me a cure means no pills , no special diet, no avoiding food etc............. ie. just eating like a non diabetic person (not that I would knowing what we know):)

To me its like a member of AA who has not touched a drop for 30 years, they are not cured , they are still a alcoholic, they would be cured if they could have the odd drink like a non alcoholic...........

But at the end of the days these stories are fantastic news , :):):) whether we call it a cure or not.............

Reactions: 6 people

ron77

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

End quote

wow cool, hey, I dont see the link to him, love to read that.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Home Secretary Theresa May also a Type 1, I believe.

Colin Beattie was a type 2 diabetic, but I did not know that about Theresa May, gonna check her up and see if they have articles about her talking about it, interesting information.

My big dream is that somebody really famous and important get type 2 or 1 diabetes, and then do all of these campaings. Like if lionel Messi got diagnosed with diabetes type 1 or Christiano Ronaldos mother got type 2, would be bad for them, but good for the worldwide community in therms of publicity.

Paul_Bolt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Steve Redgrave is Type 2 and in 2000 (Sydney Olympics) and until now he regularly talks about dealing with his diabetes.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There are quite a few precursors to type 2 diabetes and I would think that those that say they can cure it actually mean they have very good control of it. If there was a cure we'd be all laughing and drug free for this disease.... no more tests, injections, etc. Although I wonder if said people actually have just the one precursor (eg. weight) as opposed to several precursors like weight, medical conditions, genetics, ethnicity, age, gestational diabetes, steroid use, etc. ? But good on them if they have excellent control. :)

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am vary wary, of the word "cured". I would much rather, people, said, they were, in remission.

I had my prostate removed, due to prostate cancer, even after ten years, since my operation, my oncologist will only say, I am "remission" as he puts it if he told me I was "cured", he would be negligent and liable, in a case of "but you told me I had been cured", so to cover all the bases, he says I am in "remission"

These so called "cured" diabetics, are not cured, in the technical sense, it is just that they, show no symptoms. If they were cured, they could eat a "normal diet" and put weight back on. The trouble is, if they were to do, these things, their diabetes would return, but how, can something return, if they, have been cured

They have only, been in remission, by a controlled diet, however minor ( that may be), and consistent, weight control, because, to step outside, these boundaries, means their diabetes, would return.

These misnomers, give people false hope, especially those newly diagnosed

I will get off my soap box now,..........................................

ron77

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I agree, its more like 'cured for their genetic pre-disposition' or 'set point'. I think people are getting things to how they need to be to keep from crossing the line again. I'm sure there are people out there who spend their whole life 'under their personal threshold' because they just happen to be health food and exercise loving people. They have no idea that if they started eating cookies every night and sitting around they'd end up Type 2.

MDAVIES65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thanks for all of the comments. Just had the results from my latest Hba1c and these have come back at 46, so pre-diabetes. I have been taken of all of my medication at this time. Just now need to keep loosing the weight and continue to eat healthy and continue the exercise. With out this forum I would not have been able to do this. Next Hba1c test is in 3 months

Reactions: 6 people

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
Steve Redgrave is Type 2 and in 2000 (Sydney Olympics) and until now he regularly talks about dealing with his diabetes.

Tom Hanks is diabetic too, T2 I think!