Reversed T2 in 3 months diet only!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That doesn't mean he hasn't reversed it. You took a big leap from the statement that he knows he has the potential. Time will tell whether he has, I do not know but people believe it is progressive and once you have it you have it for life and that isn't always the case. No reason to push an untruth
Your right ... Let's hope he can put the weight back on and eat whatever he was eating before the diabetes ...
I don't think so ... He's going to keep the weight off and eat things that won't affect his blood sugars .. I know it's a great feeling doing this as I have also done this ... No way I am going to say I have reversed the diabetes .. I have it under easy control ...

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Who said anything about he has to put all the weight back on? I haven't put all the weight back on and can eat what I like. I do not understand the negativity! It is great you have it under easy control and like your way of life, but the OP was telling us of his success and being positive. So lets be optimistic for him and not all doom and gloom and tell him he hasn't reversed it just has it under control because I challenge that because we do not know ether way.

Reactions: 2 people

Emzie_86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well done!!! My diagnosis was confirmed today. My hbA1c is 51 and the dr isn't concerned right now but said I need to change my lifestyle intensely ( hope that's the right word lol). Hopefully in a few months I will have a success story to :) keep up the good work

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who said anything about he has to put all the weight back on? I haven't put all the weight back on and can eat what I like. I do not understand the negativity! It is great you have it under easy control and like your way of life, but the OP was telling us of his success and being positive. So lets be optimistic for him and not all doom and gloom and tell him he hasn't reversed it just has it under control because I challenge that because we do not know ether way.

Andrew, with respect, by your own admission before diagnosis you ate a great deal of the wrong foods. So now that you are eating normally, like ordinary non-diabetics, you have reversed your diabetes. Great, good for you, but I'll wager that if you ever returned to your previous eating patterns (ie your own 'normal' diet) the diabetes would return. Many of us never ate wrong foods in the same quantities as you in the first place, we probably became diabetic eating what you are eating now. Your story can be both uplifting and demoralising in equal measure. Many of us have our diabetes under good control, some of us may reverse it, but I don't believe any of us can go back to eating what we ate before diagnosis for long periods of time, without problems with our BG's returning.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Andrew, with respect, by your own admission before diagnosis you ate a great deal of the wrong foods. So now that you are eating normally, like ordinary non-diabetics, you have reversed your diabetes. Great, good for you, but I'll wager that if you ever returned to your previous eating patterns (ie your own 'normal' diet) the diabetes would return. Many of us never ate wrong foods in the same quantities as you in the first place, we probably became diabetic eating what you are eating now. Your story can be both uplifting and demoralising in equal measure. Many of us have our diabetes under good control, some of us may reverse it, but I don't believe any of us can go back to eating what we ate before diagnosis for long periods of time, without problems with our BG's returning.
Obviously I couldnt handle my old diet before diagnosis so why would I be able to handle it in the same prolonged fashion now after diagnosis. That doesn't mean, I and the OP and many more of you that consider yourself as just controlled, haven't actually reversed it. The OP claims in his title he has it reversed and therefore I say excellent carry on with the reversal.

No reason to be demoralised Zand. You have achieved wonders and have great results with more to come. Just because I did it in a flash and you are being steady doesn't make any difference. I just want to be positive and encouraging to all. Isn't that what we are all here for; to encourage and support.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
lol - I'm just a flash in the pan man!

Sorry, just had to reply to the cheeky wink

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done OP and I wish you the very best in future and hope that you live without worrying about T2D. I request you to provide details of your weight reduction - in terms of daily exercises(you did not do any, right?) and diet regimes. Also provide detains on your previous diet patterns, body measurements etc - if you can. Thanks in advance.

johncabot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great news. I have just be told have a under active thyroid does anyone else suffer with this i believe its linked to diabetes.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @johncabot and welcome to the forum. I have hyperthyroidism and take levothyroxine medication. I believe there are a number of other forum members who have this too, but I don't know if there is a connection between this and diabetes. I expect some more clued up people might.

Jennifer1008

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this. I have recently found it hard to keep the weight off from the last summer successful loss, but once Easter is over and the family returned to their homes, I mean to do another 8 week Newcastle diet, but this time incorporating some Japanese style veggie soups. I do find seeing other people's successful menus helpful for encouragement.

shezy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Newcastle diet frightened me, I just didn't think I would be able to cope on so few calories and still look after my active 20 month old grandson. Then I found Terri Ann's 123 diet plan on Facebook. It's low carb and low fat and no expensive weekly fees so suited my pocket as well as my need to lose weight and bring my blood sugar levels down. I must admit not to have followed it 100% everyday but since I started it in mid January I have lost 17 lbs and my blood sugar levels are 5 or 6 and never get even as high as 7 anymore. I'm so pleased!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

kathb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning guys

Recently had some great news. Following diagnosis of T2 in mid April this year I recently went for my three monthly check and bloods taken, and results came back very positive.

I have reduced my HBA1C level from 55 down to 37 and have lost 13kg in 13 weeks on a self made dietary plan.

Only felt compelled to post this because of a question another member posted earlier asking about weetabix bananas and breakfast and what was right and wrong.

Reading the replies etc I agree with many in the fact that a lot of success/failure is down to the individual themselves. Personally I embraced what having diabetes meant in so much as I knew I had to alter my lifestyle/eating habits etc and it became something of a challenge for me to do that, but in a positive way.

Without any real help or guidance, except for discovering this site and reading up on the internet, I set about finding out what were the right food for me and what to avoid.

In all this time, I can honestly say that I probably eat more now and regularly than I have ever done! Breakfast is a MUST to kick start my day, normally Special K and a small banana, or in fact Weetabix...... occasionally I have bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans and scrambled egg.....grilled not fried of course and smaller portions of each and not overloaded!!

Lunch consists of salad with either mackerel in tomato sauce, or tuna, or cottage cheese ..... plenty of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, grated carrot and a small portion of mixed fruit and nuts plus a small helping of low fat coleslaw.

For tea, normally chicken or pork or fresh fish with either four or five small new potatoes and lots of veg, or small portion of brown basmati rice, or wholemeal pasta, depends what I'm having.

Normally this would see me right for the day, but if I get peckish I grab a handful of mixed fruit and nuts which does the trick. Drink plenty of water which cuts out the hunger pangs.....

Cut out the bread.....the pastry......the sweet cakes..... and the hardest one of all for me personally.....the sausage rolls!!!! :-(

Looking back to pre diagnosis, I would never have believed that I could make such an adjustment, but in truth it really was quite easy to do. I had terrible trouble with pains in my feet , ankles and knees. I suffered terrible fatigue. Had massive energy spikes and awful lows and mood swings. All unbeknown to me at the time that this was what diabetes does to you. But now, healthier, more energetic, virtually pain free and more positive, these small lifestyle/eating habit changes have changed my life enormously.

My nurse who was helping me at the doctors was so overjoyed on breaking the news to me about my blood sugar level results it was quite emotional!! So whilst I have reduced my levels, I know that diabetes will never go away and I have to remain sensible and continue with these changes in my life. But I embrace that. It all served as a bit of a warning and that warning has been heeded.

So to anyone out there reading this, don't despair. Don't give in. Make those changes that suit you. You WILL feel the benefits.....
That is my biggest problem. Seems everything I look to have is no good for me. Always have weetabix or shredders for breakfast. Stucuck then as if I have an open sandwich up it goes. Will be so grateful for any meal ideas to help me get the sugar down. Seeing diabetic nurse in a few day's an I will Not like it if she mentions insulin. Have stopped smoking hoping that would help but not so far.

Reactions: jonbvn

shezy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is my biggest problem. Seems everything I look to have is no good for me. Always have weetabix or shredders for breakfast. Stucuck then as if I have an open sandwich up it goes. Will be so grateful for any meal ideas to help me get the sugar down. Seeing diabetic nurse in a few day's an I will Not like it if she mentions insulin. Have stopped smoking hoping that would help but not so far.

Ditch the wheat and cereal as it isn't about just sugar its the carbohydrates. You can have egg and bacon for breakfast or a yoghurt if you need something quick. No more sandwiches not even open ones. Have the ham, tuna or cheese you would have had in the sandwich with a salad instead or even a scotch egg for something quick. I'm about to make myself a big fluffy omelette with peppers for lunch - in less than 7 minutes I'll have a low carb lunch in front of me. No more pasta, potatoes or rice. Yes it's hard to get your head around it but I didn't touch a gram of chocolate over this Easter and I'm really chuffed with myself as not only have my blood sugars plummeted I've lost 20 lbs now. Ps If you are a chocoholic like me Beanies make the most wonderful selections of coffees. I love the Irish cream and Chocolate Orange and no carbs !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@M C Mollloy - would you like to give us an update on your current (non) diabetic status, and what you've done in the way of maintaining this, please? It would be a useful as well as interesting follow up to see how you're dong.

Robbity

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm similar to your 3 month trip but I religiously followed the Newcastle Diet.
I've adopted a low calorie/sort-of high fat diet & nearly a year later am still 3 stone lighter than when I started.
So - well done M C

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I dropped 44 points to have a Hba1c of 47 after 80 days, but I made things easy for myself, never attempted to keep on with the things on the diet sheet which was supposed to be lowering cholesterol and was causing weight gain which was frightening me.
The diagnosis of diabetes was such a relief.
No grain, no potatoes or starchy vegetables, no super sweet fruits - and that also lowered cholesterol giving good or ideal ratios, and I've lost over a stone, and all without trying.
I have an appointment with the practice nurse on Monday, but if she said 'congratulations you are no longer diabetic you can go back to eating cereals again' I would not be rushing off to the shops.
Not unless I need to buy some smaller clothes again -

Reactions: Prem51

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Lucky
Morning guys

Recently had some great news. Following diagnosis of T2 in mid April this year I recently went for my three monthly check and bloods taken, and results came back very positive.

I have reduced my HBA1C level from 55 down to 37 and have lost 13kg in 13 weeks on a self made dietary plan.

Only felt compelled to post this because of a question another member posted earlier asking about weetabix bananas and breakfast and what was right and wrong.

Reading the replies etc I agree with many in the fact that a lot of success/failure is down to the individual themselves. Personally I embraced what having diabetes meant in so much as I knew I had to alter my lifestyle/eating habits etc and it became something of a challenge for me to do that, but in a positive way.

Without any real help or guidance, except for discovering this site and reading up on the internet, I set about finding out what were the right food for me and what to avoid.

In all this time, I can honestly say that I probably eat more now and regularly than I have ever done! Breakfast is a MUST to kick start my day, normally Special K and a small banana, or in fact Weetabix...... occasionally I have bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans and scrambled egg.....grilled not fried of course and smaller portions of each and not overloaded!!

Lunch consists of salad with either mackerel in tomato sauce, or tuna, or cottage cheese ..... plenty of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, grated carrot and a small portion of mixed fruit and nuts plus a small helping of low fat coleslaw.

For tea, normally chicken or pork or fresh fish with either four or five small new potatoes and lots of veg, or small portion of brown basmati rice, or wholemeal pasta, depends what I'm having.

Normally this would see me right for the day, but if I get peckish I grab a handful of mixed fruit and nuts which does the trick. Drink plenty of water which cuts out the hunger pangs.....

Cut out the bread.....the pastry......the sweet cakes..... and the hardest one of all for me personally.....the sausage rolls!!!! :-(

Looking back to pre diagnosis, I would never have believed that I could make such an adjustment, but in truth it really was quite easy to do. I had terrible trouble with pains in my feet , ankles and knees. I suffered terrible fatigue. Had massive energy spikes and awful lows and mood swings. All unbeknown to me at the time that this was what diabetes does to you. But now, healthier, more energetic, virtually pain free and more positive, these small lifestyle/eating habit changes have changed my life enormously.

My nurse who was helping me at the doctors was so overjoyed on breaking the news to me about my blood sugar level results it was quite emotional!! So whilst I have reduced my levels, I know that diabetes will never go away and I have to remain sensible and continue with these changes in my life. But I embrace that. It all served as a bit of a warning and that warning has been heeded.

So to anyone out there reading this, don't despair. Don't give in. Make those changes that suit you. You WILL feel the benefits.....
Lucky you that you can have cereal, potatoes, pasta , dried fruit & rice. I can't eat any of that.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lucky indeed. I can't eat any of that either and, at a skinny 7 stone, I have no weight to lose. I am told I am (borderline by my reckoning!) dangerously under weight. I can't eat fruit or underground veg (carrots etc.) either and I am SO BORED WITH WHAT I CAN EAT that I really only eat because I have to, rarely enjoy what I have. I don't particularly like cooking which doesn't help!!!