Reversing Type 2 Diabetes ebook

cynetique

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I came across this remarkable short ebook, Reversing Type 2 Diabetes with a Low Carbohydrate Diet, which was mentioned on Twitter and I thought it would be worth sharing the link to it. It can be downloaded for free from the following page:
https://healthresults.com/community/resources

Dr David Unwin is one of the co-authors.

Last edited:

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
On the bottom of page 5 it says:

"Note: Type 2 diabetes is very different from type 1 diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes is not caused by lifestyle and although it
can be significantly helped with diet, it cannot be reversed."

Why is that, what is this definition of reversal?
They used to say type 2 couldn't be reversed either, how can they be so sure about type 1?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They used to say type 2 couldn't be reversed either, how can they be so sure about type 1?
Because type1 is where the beta cells in the pancreas have been destroyed by the immune system, there is currently no way to bring them back (without a transplant and immunosuppressant drugs for the rest of your life) and in essence we are missing the functionality of one of our internal organs , therefore T1's are required to take insulin to survive, as we cannot live without it no matter what.

cynetique

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a fair question about type 1.
As to the definition of reversal, they do offer one p. 5:
"T2D reversal means a lower long-term blood glucose (HbA1c) without an increase in diabetes medication."
I do not find it very helpful.
They also give one of remission:
"T2D remission means achieving and maintaining a blood glucose below the diabetes diagnosis level (HbA1c less than 48mmol/mol or 6.5%) and not needing diabetes medication."

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
type1 is where the beta cells in the pancreas have been destroyed

Are you sure about that?

00-galia.jpg

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
They still find residual β-cells in patients who have had T1DM for several decades so not all of them are destroyed. But this thread is about T2 reversal, may be I should make a seperate one about these heroic invictorum cells.

According to this site T2 reversal is a:

“HbA1c below 42 mmol/mol (6%) without taking diabetes medication”

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
They still find residual β-cells in patients who have had T1DM for several decades so not all of them are destroyed. But this thread is about T2 reversal, may be I should make a seperate one about these heroic invictorum cells.

According to this site T2 reversal is a:

“HbA1c below 42 mmol/mol (6%) without taking diabetes medication”

Type 1's produce insufficient (usually approx 0 ) insulin
T2's have Insulin Resistance such that whatever insulin they produce (even heroic quantities) is insufficient.

Various studies in various countries use slightly different definitions of T2D remission . For example in the UK my HbA1C 0of 37 on zero diabetes meds means I qualify as in remission. However if I lived in the USA I would still be considered as pre-diabetic because in the UK the cut-off is an HbA1C of 6.0% (in old money) where in the USA it is at 5.7%.
This may explain why it's claimed that 1/3rd of US adults have either Diabetes or pre-diabetes.

Drfarxan

On the bottom of page 5 it says:

"Note: Type 2 diabetes is very different from type 1 diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes is not caused by lifestyle and although it
can be significantly helped with diet, it cannot be reversed."

Why is that, what is this definition of reversal?
once upon a time the idea that type 2 can be reversed did not exist. It was a progressive chronic disease,period!!.
Is it possible to reverse LADA or type 1 Diabetes? what is the cause of those two beta cell damage. What is beta cell damage do they diasppear? No they differenciate to alpha cells. Can they be re differenciated? Some source or studies say they can. The only issue with LADA and type 1 is the autoimmune issue. If that could be treated then maybe the beta cells can return. Maybe in the future there will be a wonder drug that will treat the autoimmune issue.

Keto/carnivore not low card if effective for a number of autoimmune disease so why not LADA or type 1? But it is dangerous without a good doctor who understands and is prepared to help.

cynetique

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Various studies in various countries use slightly different definitions of T2D remission . For example in the UK my HbA1C 0of 37 on zero diabetes meds means I qualify as in remission. However if I lived in the USA I would still be considered as pre-diabetic because in the UK the cut-off is an HbA1C of 6.0% (in old money) where in the USA it is at 5.7%.
My understanding is that according to the Guidelines in Canada, one of the criteria for a diagnosis of diabetes is an A1C ≥6.5%. For screening, prediabetes is within the 6.0–6.4 range, whilst the 5.5-5.9 range is considered as at risk. A normal A1C is <5.5.