Rh V Wedding Buffet

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, hope you’re keeping well.

Haven’t posted for a while, but still check in regularly to see how everyone’s getting on.

I have a wedding to attend on Friday (just the evening do), but having learned what the food options are I have to say I’m a little stumped! Hoping to get some great ideas and suggestions from my fellow RHer’s an low carb’ers please

The food on the menu for the evening is a choice of bbq pulled pork or veggie burger cobs (they are cobs here in Leicestershire, you may call them bread rolls, baps, tea cakes etc etc...there’s a debate for another day! ).

Despite me completing the section on the RSVP which asked for any special dietary requirements, there doesn’t seem to be a low carb option . The bbq pulled pork whilst I’m sure will be delicious, will be laden with sugar and the veggie burger will most likely be quite carby. The bread (by whatever name you like to call it) is clearly a no go. Apparently there is no salad to accompany said carbs.

I may have time to grab a small meal before we leave, but this won’t keep me going until midnight, especially if I have a couple of drinks. As I will be wearing a dress and only have a small clutch bag, smuggling food in without drawing too much attention will be tricky. I can’t even leave a cool bag in the car with a salad and some protein, as we’re not taking it (unless I drive, which would be a last resort as we hardly ever get a child free evening out where I can drink like an adult! ).

Any suggestions grateful received.

Kaz

Reactions: Lamont D

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be blunt I’d just take in food, no smuggling. They aren’t providing anything you can eat so they can’t expect you to sit there eating nothing while they all tuck in!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Haven’t posted for a while, but still check in regularly to see how everyone’s getting on.

I have a wedding to attend on Friday (just the evening do), but having learned what the food options are I have to say I’m a little stumped! Hoping to get some great ideas and suggestions from my fellow RHer’s an low carb’ers please

The food on the menu for the evening is a choice of bbq pulled pork or veggie burger cobs (they are cobs here in Leicestershire, you may call them bread rolls, baps, tea cakes etc etc...there’s a debate for another day! ).

Despite me completing the section on the RSVP which asked for any special dietary requirements, there doesn’t seem to be a low carb option . The bbq pulled pork whilst I’m sure will be delicious, will be laden with sugar and the veggie burger will most likely be quite carby. The bread (by whatever name you like to call it) is clearly a no go. Apparently there is no salad to accompany said carbs.

I may have time to grab a small meal before we leave, but this won’t keep me going until midnight, especially if I have a couple of drinks. As I will be wearing a dress and only have a small clutch bag, smuggling food in without drawing too much attention will be tricky. I can’t even leave a cool bag in the car with a salad and some protein, as we’re not taking it (unless I drive, which would be a last resort as we hardly ever get a child free evening out where I can drink like an adult! ).

Kaz
Is it hotel, pub, or outside caterers? If it is the first two I see no reason why you cant prearrange with the catering manager something more suitable for yourself without any fuss or drawing attention to you being different. If it is a catering firm in a rented venue it might be more tricky unless you can find out who they are beforehand.

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it’s a hotel but not 100% sure. It’s one of my Husbands work colleagues. He said he could email the bride to be (who is organising it all. The groom knew next to nothing when my husband spoke to him), but didn’t want to be pain as they probably have enough to think about.

I hate being in a position where I feel I’m a nuisance, or have to draw attention to the fact that I’m different!

If it was one of my friends I’d have no qualms about asking for something different.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Kaz

I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions, based on the basic menu. Just because you requested something special they may not be offering it to everyone, and amy be doing something like happens on, say, a flight, where those with special dietary requirements are sought out and catered for, as an aside to the main crew.

If someone there was gluen free, I wouldn't expect the the whole event would be run gluten free.

You could take in a few mini Babybels and a small pack of nuts in your bag? Alternatively, assuming you will be accomanied by a gentleman, he may be able to fit a couple of small packs of nuts in his pockets, perhaps.

I hope the evening goes well.

Reactions: Kaz261

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Even if there is no salad on the menu there may be garnishes round the plates I can often glean quite a platefull ,but not easy to find out in advance
Carol

Reactions: Kaz261

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Kaz

You can only ask, if you had not asked for a referral or advice on what happens when you don't go very low carb, you would not be in control.
And I'm sure the hosts would not mind you bringing in some food because of your condition.
Every hotel that I've stayed in would welcome the challenge of providing you with a low carb meal. I have never been disappointed, only once, that was an ibis hotel.
Ring the hotel and ask, they have to by law, especially if you pay.

It does sound if you are doing well, best wishes @Kaz261.

Enjoy the night!