1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Rice and Carbohydrates Consumption Linked to Diabetes

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Bluenosesol, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Bluenosesol

Bluenosesol Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nothing that we in the lo-carb camp didnt already know. This report was published by the Indian Media but is a British based study, (British Journal of Nutrition) which reports clear links between rice consumption and diabetes and also carbohydrate intake generally.

http://www.thehindu.com/seta/2009/08/20 ... 751200.htm

Steve

2. cugila

cugila · Master

Hi Steve.

Do you have the full text of the original study ? I Read the article and it seems pretty vague to me like most Newspaper articles ? Bit light on facts.

3. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Funny thing. I've found that rice doesn't hit me as hard as I thought it would (which I'm over the moon about!). Pasta, on the other hand - I might as well just take an intrevenous drip of Maple Syrup...

4. AliB

AliB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

On the odd occasion I do eat rice, I prefer the brown version - not only do I enjoy the 'nutty' taste and texture, but because it has a higher fibre content it doesn't spike my blood sugar like the white bleached processed stuff does! It is better nutritionally as well, and I'm all for that..........

I'm really getting into Biogenics too. Am in the process of soaking some chickpeas to sprout and turn into little powerhouses of nutrition and enzymes to snack on and add to my salads. Yum.

5. inwales

inwales · Well-Known Member

Anyone tested their BGs after eating wild rice?

6. cugila

cugila · Master

Yes. I did. Mind you it was a VERY small portion, no more than a third of a cup dry rice. It was also with a home made Chicken Rogan Josh. The whole meal only put my Bg levels up by around 2 points.
    No spike either.

7. acron^

acron^ · Well-Known Member

Hmmm I would have thought rice was a no-no for anyone low-carbing. Am I wrong?

8. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

I'm not sure that wild rice is true rice. I think it's another grass
    Hana

9. cugila

cugila · Master

It's not an advisable thing. However if you measure the quantity and check the carb content carefully it is manageable. I can also manage about 6 small oven chips without a problem.
    Try it and see.

10. Bluenosesol

Bluenosesol Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ken,

I have had a look around and I cant find the source item :cry:

I know that there has been some publicity lately about the increase in T2 within Asian communities which tend to eat mainly rice for their staple diet.

Steve.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook