Diet only
Hba1c --- 4.7 (28)
Fasting --- 4.8
2 hours after sugar drink --- 8.4
BMI. 23.5
Had 2 pregnancies with gestational diabetes
No family history of diabetes
Prediabetic

My doctor is not much concerned about my prediabetes and he was saying that it is just a minor insulin resistance I Know I can be happy about that but I am not as I want to be healthy and I want to take right steps in right direction .I am researching a lot but still need some guidance what's the key point here

I have slight insulin resistance and can tolerate all kinds of food without raising my numbers but how could I be sure that my pancreas is not working very hard and not under lots of pressure to maintain these good numbers ?

Should I eat non processed healthy carbs with exercise .
OR
Should I limit my carbs to 50 g
OR
I should do intermittent fasting

Thanks in advance .

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Not a long term expert but I thought I had it about as good as it gets compared to many people on here.

But your numbers beat me Hands down.

Your right to control carbs but by how much is just personal.

Carbs make me feel bad so I don't eat them. If they only affect your bg just keep it sensible.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
How did your doctor determine you have some insulin resistance?

IMO- if you have insulin resistance (IR), your pancreas is already working harder than it should. Which causes a conflict with the liver. If you are eating all sorts of foods and sugary drinks, starch carbs, fruit in too high amounts this will make the pancreas work hard and create a scenario where insulin resistance begins to appear and get progressively worse over time unless it is addressed. If you have IR then that should tell you that you cannot tolerate all sorts of foods and it's starting to show. IR appears well before bad blood glucose readings raise their ugly head.

If you are going to eat refined carbohydrate like bread, cereals, pasta, fruit juices etc, then I'd seriously reduce the amount you eat and the frequency you eat them. Ideally imo you'd not eat refined processed carbs like these at all, but some people just cannot do that. It's too hard for them.

You can replace carbs with fats like cheese, nuts, avocados, etc and eat veggies instead of wheat based products. How you go about it is up to you really. Some people do well on 50g per day, it's something you will need to experiment with to see what works for you. You want to be healthy and happy.

Reactions: hazelzac

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How did your doctor determine you have some insulin resistance?

IMO- if you have insulin resistance (IR), your pancreas is already working harder than it should. Which causes a conflict with the liver. If you are eating all sorts of foods and sugary drinks, starch carbs, fruit in too high amounts this will make the pancreas work hard and create a scenario where insulin resistance begins to appear and get progressively worse over time unless it is addressed. If you have IR then that should tell you that you cannot tolerate all sorts of foods and it's starting to show. IR appears well before bad blood glucose readings raise their ugly head.

If you are going to eat refined carbohydrate like bread, cereals, pasta, fruit juices etc, then I'd seriously reduce the amount you eat and the frequency you eat them. Ideally imo you'd not eat refined processed carbs like these at all, but some people just cannot do that. It's too hard for them.

You can replace carbs with fats like cheese, nuts, avocados, etc and eat veggies instead of wheat based products. How you go about it is up to you really. Some people do well on 50g per day, it's something you will need to experiment with to see what works for you. You want to be healthy and happy.

Thanks for your time and reply, I am impressed by your knowledge and insight can you guide me a bit further, I want to know the pathophysiology of prediabetes and T2 if you can share some link or if you can elaborate it here It would be a great help for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kitedoc

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a long term expert but I thought I had it about as good as it gets compared to many people on here.

But your numbers beat me Hands down.

Your right to control carbs but by how much is just personal.

Carbs make me feel bad so I don't eat them. If they only affect your bg just keep it sensible.

Thanks :) , I noticed if I have too much carbs my heart rate increases although I haven't counted it .

Reactions: kitedoc
M

Member496333

A fasting insulin test will tell you a lot. If your fasting blood insulin concentration is low, then in conjunction with your glucose data then you are fine so long as you stick to the current strategy.

Personally I don’t understand the fascination with glucose tolerance tests and the like. Carbohydrate isn’t an essential nutrient, and life isn’t a competition to see who can eat the most without becoming diabetic.

Just my opinion and ramblings :)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Thanks for your time and reply, I am impressed by your knowledge and insight can you guide me a bit further, I want to know the pathophysiology of prediabetes and T2 if you can share some link or if you can elaborate it here It would be a great help for me.

Ivor Cummins does a lot of video and podcast stuff that you might find interesting. There is a wealth of info that he delves into.

https://www.thefatemperor.com/blog/

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
What they said.

Pre diabetes and diabetes are the same thing.
Just earlier in the process. Just like a chest infection can become bronchitus/pneumonia and obviously the earlier it's treated the better.

My numbers now are firmly in the normal range. Bread still puts my numbers up though. Booooo.
But by any other measure I am non diabetic officially. I am quite sensitive to the ups and downs of my bg. More so than the actual number.
So the more even I keep it the better. That is personal to me though. You most likely will be fine.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@hazelzac
Hi Hazel, doesn’t your A1c fall well outside / under the Prediabetes range or were you higher and have come down?

I am still learning about all this good stuff, so you can advise me here.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@hazelzac
Hi Hazel, doesn’t your A1c fall well outside / under the Prediabetes range or were you higher and have come down?

This should help:

upload_2019-2-21_12-5-28.png

Source: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/oral-glucose-tolerance-test.html

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@hazelzac

Don't forget the HbA1c is a sort of average over the previous 2 to 3 months. The highs can easily be hidden if there are also plenty of lows. This is the fallacy of average.

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@hazelzac

My post pregnancy A1c was 5.1 (32)

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hba1c --- 4.7 (28)
Fasting --- 4.8
2 hours after sugar drink --- 8.4
BMI. 23.5
Had 2 pregnancies with gestational diabetes
No family history of diabetes
Prediabetic

My doctor is not much concerned about my prediabetes and he was saying that it is just a minor insulin resistance I Know I can be happy about that but I am not as I want to be healthy and I want to take right steps in right direction .I am researching a lot but still need some guidance what's the key point here

I have slight insulin resistance and can tolerate all kinds of food without raising my numbers but how could I be sure that my pancreas is not working very hard and not under lots of pressure to maintain these good numbers ?

Should I eat non processed healthy carbs with exercise .
OR
Should I limit my carbs to 50 g
OR
I should do intermittent fasting

Thanks in advance .

If you are insulin resistant and prediabetic, I would still limit carbs. Any carbs will cause your pancreas to push out more insulin to deal with them.....which will lead to more and more circulating insulin, fat gain and further insulin resistance. A vicious circle. Limiting carbs and keeping good blood sugar control will help with this. I wouldn't eat anything processsed, and keep what carb intake you have to healthy, unprocessed carbs from above ground grown veg.

Some moderate exercise will help as well.

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are insulin resistant and prediabetic, I would still limit carbs. Any carbs will cause your pancreas to push out more insulin to deal with them.....which will lead to more and more circulating insulin, fat gain and further insulin resistance. A vicious circle. Limiting carbs and keeping good blood sugar control will help with this. I wouldn't eat anything processsed, and keep what carb intake you have to healthy, unprocessed carbs from above ground grown veg.

Some moderate exercise will help as well.
Thanks it makes sense

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is any help, I ate low carb foods throughout my first pregnancy. No limit, but no dense carb foods. Baby boy's birth weight was over 9lb - but he's well over 6 ft tall as an adult. I took the advice of the midwives to eat more carbs after the birth and he was ravenously hungry all the time I was feeding him - probably reacting to the sugar content of the milk, and I was totally shattered due to the extra carbs. I suspect that I have been close to diabetic for a very long time, but low carb has always made me feel better. Once I started him on solid foods he was a lot happier. So was I.
My second pregnancy I will gloss over as it was one long battle with those who thought they knew better about how I should be eating.