Risk level - covid 19

John9683

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a 68 year male with type 2 diabetes (controlled using metformin). I also have bronchiectasis (which is well controlled). What risk category am I included in with respect to the Government’s advice. Have not received a letter from the NHS as per stated on the news. I live with my wife (66yrs old) in a very rural location and have been unable to get any home delivery arranged. Welcome any advice

Reactions: gillytee31

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Forget about waiting for a letter... STAY indoors and avoid all contact unless you HAVE to go out... Food, meds, excerise.

You are at a high risk at your age as is everybody at that age...Ad Diabetes in to mix and your bronchiectasis you MUST avoid contact with any and everybody including family for both you and your wife's sake.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Forget about waiting for a letter... STAY indoors and avoid all contact unless you HAVE to go out... Food, meds, excerise.

You are at a high risk at your age as is everybody at that age...Ad Diabetes in to mix and your bronchiectasis you MUST avoid contact with any and everybody including family for both you and your wife's sake.

Also go on the internet and find people who have volunteered to deliver items such as meds and food who can reach out to you.

MarkHaZ123

I am a 68 year male with type 2 diabetes (controlled using metformin). I also have bronchiectasis (which is well controlled). What risk category am I included in with respect to the Government’s advice. Have not received a letter from the NHS as per stated on the news. I live with my wife (66yrs old) in a very rural location and have been unable to get any home delivery arranged. Welcome any advice
Stay home id say.
I would if I didn't have to work and I'm only 35

Anyone over 70 is recommended to stay home but then with your conditions I'd just stay home.

Have you got any friends or family available to drop deliveries off for you? Try and search the local hub for covid19 where you can get help

John9683

Type of diabetes
Type 2

doing that anyway but we will need to get some food soon, be staying at home for 14 days anyway

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Search face book for your area. There are all sorts of groups jumping up organising help. It is awsome, certainly helps you get over the idiots emptying the shelves.

Reactions: Vernicapvc_

John9683

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Stay home id say.
I would if I didn't have to work and I'm only 35

Anyone over 70 is recommended to stay home but then with your conditions I'd just stay home.

Have you got any friends or family available to drop deliveries off for you? Try and search the local hub for covid19 where you can get help

Family lives 5hrs drive away, daughter in the police, her husband a paramedic. Village is very small mostly people of our age or older

John9683

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Search face book for your area. There are all sorts of groups jumping up organising help. It is awsome, certainly helps you get over the idiots emptying the shelves.

not a Facebook user, will check with loacal councillor to see what groups are around this area. Several others in the village might need help as well.

Danny72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
. I also have bronchiectasis (which is well controlled).

Hi John,

Just a quick question in relation to the bronchiectasis what were your symptoms & how were you diagnosed or what test did you have to diagnose bronchiectasis ? I’m asking because a few years ago I had a chest X-ray which was abnormal with the notes saying likely changes for bronchiectasis but then later I also had a CT scan & bronchoscopy of my lungs to see what the changes were but both those came back normal but was still concerned at why the chest X-ray would initially say that which worried me and would the ct and bronchoscopy have picked it up?

Thank you very much.

Rj240

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you need help drop me a message with your village name and I will have a look for support groups on Facebook for you

John9683

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi John,

Just a quick question in relation to the bronchiectasis what were your symptoms & how were you diagnosed or what test did you have to diagnose bronchiectasis ? I’m asking because a few years ago I had a chest X-ray which was abnormal with the notes saying likely changes for bronchiectasis but then later I also had a CT scan & bronchoscopy of my lungs to see what the changes were but both those came back normal but was still concerned at why the chest X-ray would initially say that which worried me and would the ct and bronchoscopy have picked it up?

Thank you very much.

Morning Danny

Diagnosed after a serious chest infection that wiped me out for around 4 months in late 2012, unable to breathe correctly coughing up loads of serious phlegm , general weakness due to lack of oxygen etc. Had same series of tests as you did and referred to a respiratory illness consultant after various other tests on lung function etc, he confirmed bronchiectasis. Main point is I have never smoked at all during my life, was a soldier for 22 years then moved into job for 25 years looking after a 23 acre sports venue. I spend a lot of time walking Dartmoor/Exmoor and similar locations throughout the UK, been a camper with my family since early 1970s. The consultant believes I had a reaction to fern spores from all the walking in the “fresh air” on the moors and this had irritated the lung lining. Still walk for enjoyment but use several medications to control the bronchiectasis, includes a dose of antibiotics every day. Well controlled but do have to clear phlegm from throat and lungs each morning to start the day. Attend a respiratory clinic every six months to check on the condition at my local surgery.

Good luck with your control of the problem.

John