Risk Of Diabetes

fatentomms

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello in the last 8-9 months or so i gained a lot of weight. Also have people with type 2 diabetes in my family, so i am very anxious about this. Im only 18 which makes things worse. So recently i got checked and my fasting blood sugar was 89 and A1C was 5.03. But HDL was 44 and protein c was 3(which i think is too high looking up in the internet). And i also had insulin resistance 3.2. I am very scared because i dont want to be diagnosed with it until my 50's if i can. I started losing weight and the doctor prescribed me with metformin(1 month after the test was done). My first question is in that one month i totally stopped taking sugar and started taking only low GI carbondhydrates. Is there a chance my condition has worsened? Also the other is i am well active and going to gym now also my diet is predominantly proteins and fat. I lost 10-15 kg at least in a month and half. From now on what should my diet be like to live without having diabetes for the rest of my life? And is there still a hope for me? Dont forget the fact that im only 18 right now and dont have the courage to deal with this in my mid 30s. Also what is an ideal diet for me

Last edited by a moderator:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have people in your family who are also T2D then genetics may be a factor that can't be overcome. That doesn't mean to say that you should give up as there are lots of things you can do to reduce your chances of becoming type 2 diabetic:)

Your fasting BG and HbA1c put you in the non-diabetic range which is good and where we are wanting to remain.

You've lost 10-15kg, that's fantastic weight loss and in one month shows that you really worked hard to do that. You should be very pleased!

I don't think you need much advice here really, it seems like you've made sensible changes to your diet and are now attending the gym. Continuing your exercise will help with the insulin resistance, further weight loss (if you need it) and also bring them cholesterol levels back to where they need to be.

Low GI is good but not really much use if the carb intake is too high What we call LCHF (low carbohydrate, high fat) diet is the approach that you seem to be on now from what you've described. You will find LOADS of useful and essential information from our friendly forum members in the 'low carb diet' section:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/

Good luck:)

Grant

Edited by a mod

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @fatentomms :)

I notice you say you've gained a lot of weight in the last 8 or 9 months. Do you know why that might be?

If you don't mind saying, what's your BMI?

Of course there's hope for you! You've made a great start in getting healthy :)

Reactions: Freema

fatentomms

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi @fatentomms :)

I notice you say you've gained a lot of weight in the last 8 or 9 months. Do you know why that might be?

If you don't mind saying, what's your BMI?

Of course there's hope for you! You've made a great start in getting healthy :)
im 190 cm to 115 kg right now. Planning for 85-90 kg. Also i know that im healthy and all but because i have genetical disadvantage i still feel like it would hit me when im older. Im planning to be a professional body builder(w/o supplements) just to stop this from happening. Because from what i understand the system works better when you have more muscles and your body handles carbonhydrates much better. The only worry is when i get to my 30-40s. Maybe this will force myself to a healthy life and i will live longer i dont even know☺

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
im 190 cm to 115 kg right now. Planning for 85-90 kg. Also i know that im healthy and all but because i have genetical disadvantage i still feel like it would hit me when im older. Im planning to be a professional body builder(w/o supplements) just to stop this from happening. Because from what i understand the system works better when you have more muscles and your body handles carbonhydrates much better. The only worry is when i get to my 30-40s. Maybe this will force myself to a healthy life and i will live longer i dont even know☺

Ok, so your BMI is higher than desired, but I wonder if you could put your finger on any reason for the weight gain.

I'm asking just in case there's a medical reason for,it - did your doctor check?

fatentomms

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Ok, so your BMI is higher than desired, but I wonder if you could put your finger on any reason for the weight gain.

I'm asking just in case there's a medical reason for,it - did your doctor check?
I can say depression and relatively low tiroid hormones also i ate a lot due to depression. Also after taking metformin i feel like a new person, so maybe insulin resistance caused me to gain that much weight. I used to be 90 kgs. And no medical condition other than this no problem with hormones. Do you think it could be worse now because of my bmi? because i took the test 1 and a half month ago.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can say depression and relatively low tiroid hormones also i ate a lot due to depression. Also after taking metformin i feel like a new person, so maybe insulin resistance caused me to gain that much weight. I used to be 90 kgs. And no medical condition other than this no problem with hormones. Do you think it could be worse now because of my bmi? because i took the test 1 and a half month ago.

Ok - so you have a reason. That's good because you can try to sort those problems (depression and low thyroid) and this should help you reach your goal :)

It's also excellent that you feel the Metformin is helping :) Reducing any insulin resistance is very sensible.

I think you're absolutely on the right track here :) Well done for acting to take control of your health :cool:

All you need now is to keep going :)

Reactions: 2 people

fatentomms

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Ok - so you have a reason. That's good because you can try to sort those problems (depression and low thyroid) and this should help you reach your goal :)

It's also excellent that you feel the Metformin is helping :) Reducing any insulin resistance is very sensible.

I think you're absolutely on the right track here :) Well done for acting to take control of your health :cool:

All you need now is to keep going :)
So do you think i will be able to see my 70s. I have an exhausting anxiety problem which is another story but still this keeps me away from sleeping at night.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So do you think i will be able to see my 70s. I have an exhausting anxiety problem which is another story but still this keeps me away from sleeping at night.

You have as much chance as anyone else of seeing your 70s.
We can't tell you for sure, we don't have a crystal ball. ;)
All you (and anyone) can do is look after your health, eat well, and keep active.

Reactions: 2 people

fatentomms

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I lost a lot of weight and i am almost on normal weight now but i drink too much water and go to toilet to pee a lot as well. I fear that this is the start of diabetes. How can this start so fast if my blood tests werent that bad?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I lost a lot of weight and i am almost on normal weight now but i drink too much water and go to toilet to pee a lot as well. I fear that this is the start of diabetes. How can this start so fast if my blood tests werent that bad?

It's not necessarily the start of diabetes. If you have concerns, you need to see your doctor again and get some blood tests.

Well done on the weight loss :)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations on the weight loss!

When were your blood tests done? Not to jump the gun here (you may not even be diabetic), but the onset period of diabetes can range dramatically between people.Frequent urination and thirst can have other route causes also.

You should go and see your Dr if you are experiencing the classic symptoms, explain your situation and they can carry out some tests: urinalysis for "there and then" indication of your health and bloods for a more in-depth review of your situation.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/What-is-diabetes/Diabetes-Symptoms/

Grant

Last edited:

fatentomms

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
It's not necessarily the start of diabetes. If you have concerns, you need to see your doctor again and get some blood tests.

Well done on the weight loss :)
I will get my tests done tomorrow as well. Could this be a side effect of taking metformin? Because i stopped taking for a while and i take it again now for 3 4 days

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi
There are no guarantees in life, make the most of everyday. You are 18, so go out, have a laugh with your friends, occasionally allow yourself a treat away from the diet but keep the basic rules you have worked out for yourself. The weight loss is great, the difficult bit is finding a diet that you can live with for the rest of your life. If you have health concerns make a list of them and revisit your doctor. Genetics may indicate a predisposition but it is not inevitable and worrying about it will not stop it happening to you. You are putting yourself in the best possible shape to stop becoming diabetic which is also the best place to be if you do become diabetic.
Get involved in your job/career/college/hobbies and you will be fine.

Reactions: Freema and azure

fatentomms

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
My blood glucose was 90 4-5 hours after meal. Is that normal? Even though i lost weight... I expected less. How much does full fasting blood glucose level differ from 4-5 hour test? 5-6 mg? My concern is that i dont want to become diabetic until my fifties so that i can live a long full life

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
90 mg/dL = 5 mmol/L

That's a 100% normal level for anyone at anytime. Perfect in fact.

well done. Remember that part of a full life is mental health and not unnecessarily stressing or obsessing about things. keep up your healthy lifestyle :)

fatentomms

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
90 mg/dL = 5 mmol/L

That's a 100% normal level for anyone at anytime. Perfect in fact.

well done. Remember that part of a full life is mental health and not unnecessarily stressing or obsessing about things. keep up your healthy lifestyle :)
Yeah thanks i know its normal but i think about the future... if my bmi was normal and if i was very active, would i last until 50 years of age without diabetes? I have genetic condition and i know for a fact that i wont be able to last more because its in my family. 45-50 without the disease would be ideal because then i would be able to live a full life. A1C was 5 3-4 months ago now i have 30 bmi. I had 36 bmi when i was tested for A1C. Note that im only 19

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood glucose was 90 4-5 hours after meal. Is that normal?

Yeah thanks i know its normal
Well those two statements appear contradictory, trust the second one! :)

if my bmi was normal and if i was very active, would i last until 50 years of age without diabetes?

No one can give you any guarantees, but being a healthy weight and keeping active could help to minimise your risk of developing type 2.

have genetic condition and i know for a fact that i wont be able to last more because its in my family.

Really? I wasn't aware they had identified a DNA marker for type 2 - have you had a genetic test and been told "for a fact" by a doctor that you will develop type 2? There is a genetic element to type 2 diabetes, a strong family history does increase your risk, but it doesn't guarantee it. And it you are being proactive and focusing on being healthy hopefully you are mitigating the risks.

without the disease would be ideal because then i would be able to live a full life.

I'm not sure it's that kind to be suggesting, on a forum for people with diabetes, that it is not possible to live a full life with diabetes... It's wonderful for your health that you are keen to avoid diabetes.

A1C was 5 3-4 months ago now i have 30 bmi. I had 36 bmi when i was tested for A1C.

A HbA1c of 5 is completely normal. Perfect. Yes perhaps it has lowered with weight loss. But normal is normal. There's no need to be aiming for a hba1c lower than 5.

Well done on the weight loss!

Last edited:
Reactions: fatentomms

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will get my tests done tomorrow as well. Could this be a side effect of taking metformin? Because i stopped taking for a while and i take it again now for 3 4 days
when I started taking metformin I started peeing twice every night and most every second hour at daytime ... so anoying, I didn´t even do that before starting metformin but being highly diabetic...

now I feel happy if only awake once every night but still mostly two times every night..
other people have the problem too, but not so common... one had a theory that it is because some peoples kidneys recognize it as something strange to the body and then tries to pee it out...

well now I am used to it so keep forgetting that sideeffect... but I hope someday to be so much in control of my carbs that I can again stop metformin and hopefully sleep a whole night without wakening twice

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah thanks i know its normal but i think about the future... if my bmi was normal and if i was very active, would i last until 50 years of age without diabetes? I have genetic condition and i know for a fact that i wont be able to last more because its in my family. 45-50 without the disease would be ideal because then i would be able to live a full life. A1C was 5 3-4 months ago now i have 30 bmi. I had 36 bmi when i was tested for A1C. Note that im only 19

You'd be very rich if you knew the future "for a fact". Nobody knows what the future will bring.

You've mentioned you have an anxiety problem. I think this could be contributing to your concerns. You've done the sensible thing having a blood test - and your results are normal :)

You may not ever get diabetes or you may get it decades from now. But if you spend every day worrying about it, then you might as well have it. Enjoy NOT having diabetes :)

Concentrate on your general health and continuing your weight loss, and that will give you the best chance of good health :)