risks of getting malnutritioned by lchf ?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hey everyone on lchf ...
I have beeen wondering if it takes more knowledge about foods and Nutritions to live from lchf foods ...have you got any bad experiences and what does one have to be aware to get all the right Nutritions when hardly eating any carbs ?

why I ask also because I read that many people in here writes about being tired ... and I know that there are many reasons to become cronically tired from f.x. malnutrition...

one kind of malnutrition diabetics very often have is the lack of vitamin B12 .this can make you tired and.. that can make people get nerve-damages that can not be healed if not detected early enough... and when taking metformine it is allmost inevitable that people will end up lacking B12 thats a disaster in it self..

lack of iron also can get peope in a cronic state of being tired and feeling week , and most people do not know that iron must be eaten in the same meal as vitamin C

But living in a totally different style like lchf is also a giant change , and maybe there are some advice some of the most experienced in lchf in this forum can share with all us new to that kind of eating ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, there are no nutrients present in high carb foods that are not available in larger quantities in low carb foods. Except for the empty sugary starchy calories, of course.
- the UK government even fortifies bread and grain products because of their lack of nutrients!

So low carbing should result in better nutrition than filling up on bulky starchy carbs, or sugars - if it is done properly.

Having said that, anyone can eat a nutritionally deficient diet if they try hard enough.

One of the recurring phrases used by Voleck and Phinney in their low carb publications, is that a low carb should be well designed. Enough minerals. Enough nutrients. Correct balance of macronutrients. Healthy fats. No processed garbage...
http://www.artandscienceoflowcarb.com/

It may take a little reading and a little common sense in the beginning, but is soon becomes habitually easy, and it certainly isn't Rocket Science!

Reactions: robert72
A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Freema You are fairly new to diabetes. May I ask if you have changed your way of eating to help manage the condition?

Reactions: Freema
S

Shar67

I cannot low carb but can reduce carbs, since becoming diabetic my non diabetic husband has gradually changed his diet to lower carb, he cannot believe how much fuller he feels without eating breads, potatoes etc. His favourite dish is a chicken curry served in a half pepper or on a flat big mushroom. I make the curry sauce from chicken stock and reduce it in the spices, then use yogurt to thicken the sauce. For veg option I use veg stock with mushrooms relapcing chicken. It is a simple dish but with lower carbs than one with rice. Little changes can make a big difference.
Roman or little gem lettuce leaves are a great substitute from bread.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, there are no nutrients present in high carb foods that are not available in larger quantities in low carb foods. Except for the empty sugary starchy calories, of course.
- the UK government even fortifies bread and grain products because of their lack of nutrients!

So low carbing should result in better nutrition than filling up on bulky starchy carbs, or sugars - if it is done properly.

Having said that, anyone can eat a nutritionally deficient diet if they try hard enough.

One of the recurring phrases used by Voleck and Phinney in their low carb publications, is that a low carb should be well designed. Enough minerals. Enough nutrients. Correct balance of macronutrients. Healthy fats. No processed garbage...
http://www.artandscienceoflowcarb.com/

It may take a little reading and a little common sense in the beginning, but is soon becomes habitually easy, and it certainly isn't Rocket Science!
thanky for taking your time to inform me and for the link ...I will look at it tomorrow as i am tired now <3

Reactions: Brunneria

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Freema You are fairly new to diabetes. May I ask if you have changed your way of eating to help manage the condition?
yes I have changed my eating habits but of cause I am only a total beginner right now... I am on a very low calorie diet now of 1000 calories and "fasting" from 19 oclock untill 12 next day loosing 1 kg pro week ... as I have been reading of the newcastlle diet and of Jason fungs way to free people from diabetes 2 ... my blood glucose is Down in an average of about 6mmol now and I am waiting to get my secong HbA1c from my doctor next week..

but I am concidering tp try the lchf diet and want to know about it before jumping into it... but before that I´ll give fasting a chance and hope to fast my diabetes away

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no essential need for carbohydrates to survive but fat and protein are essential. Of course there are good nutrients in low carb veggies so most of choose to include those even though they are not essential.
In other words you can live on fat and protein but you cannot live on just carbs.

Reactions: plantagenet

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The following info is usable under LCHF and it is really only non dairy vegans that have a real problem.
https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/Top-5-Natural-Vegetarian-sources-Vitamin-B12.php

Deficiency as a result of extended Metformin use can occur with any diet and is not specific to LCHF/ Some reports show that some people have difficulty getting enough to compensate via oral supplements, and need injections from their GP. It is possible to request a blood test if you are on long term use of Metformin. I have just requested one myself.

Most other essential vitamins and minerals come from green leafy veg which LCHF is strong on. Iron also needs folate or folic acid to be absorbed properly, Calcium and magnesium can also be low in PWD's, and I use a combined supplement of these on occasions. Again leafy veg should provide these naturally. Oily fish is highly recommended in LCHF as a good source of fat and minerals.

If you are taking statins, then a supplement of CoQ10 is advised since statins destroy the body ability to make it.

I note that you are taking medication for hypothyroid, and this is probably a more obvious cause of tiredness, and possibly risk of anaemia. LCHF is noted for startup difficulties (Carb Flu) but these go away in time as your body adjusts.