Risotto Rice problem

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

I had just ONE cooked tablespoon of risotto rice cooked in with loads of green veg, olive oil, garlic, herbs and beef. And I spiked to 9.2 :shock:

even just plain boiled rice doesnt affect me that much. Any ideas before I cross this one off my list of foods?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry Lucy,
The type of rice usually used for risotto (Aborio for example)has a relatively high GI of about 69and has a GLof 36 for 150g cooked portion.
When you cook it for a longish time then it becomes very soft, the starch is 'released', making it very easy to absorb.
Basmati , cooked al dente has a lower GI and GL .(GL range 18-28 for 150g)
I don't even attempt risotto , insulin or not!

WhitbyJet

Lucy, you can make a seriously nice risotto using cauliflower rice, you just need to think 'back to front' - first you need to make the sauce, quite thick, for example if you make a mushroom risotto:

Fry onion until golden, add sliced mushrooms, fry until lightly brown, add dried porcini mushrooms (if you use them they need soaking in water first), add philadelphia cheese or double cream, finely chopped parsley, a little finely grated lemon peel. This will give you a thick, slightly gooey sauce.
Grate a raw cauliflower to resemble rice grains, cook in the microwave on high for about 5 - 6 minutes, add a few splashes of Maggi liquid seasoning, little bit of salt and butter and stir into the mushroom sauce, top with freshly grated parmesan.

Do the same with a ham and leek risotto, etc - it really does make a lovely risotto that doesnt taste like cauliflower at all.