Roast dinner

Jojotaylor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
My children would love me to do a roast for tea this week. Their favourite is chicken. What shall i do about the roast potato side of it and any ideal veg? Im prediabetes and very very new to this and have no idea. Sorry x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have your roast, enjoy it and test two hours later. The news might be good or it might be bad but at least you will know. Above ground veg is best for diabetics usually but since it is a special occasion and is in the interest of research, go for it.

Reactions: abbisoo and BeccyB

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Portion control is usually very apt for prediabetics.
You may be able to have one or two small roasties, just a little gravy and your vegetables should be suitable for good control.
Enjoy!

Jojotaylor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I cant test at the mo as have no way of testing only was informed yesterday im prediabetic and trying to prevent type 2 if i can through my diet etc. The problem i have is we love things like curry and shepherds pie etc but the carbs in the rice and potatoes argh. Sorry to be a pain x

Jojotaylor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
So if i do chicken a couple of roasties anda small amount of gravy and plenty of veg it should be ok? Were the type of family who like good old proper food like curry and shepherds pie etc i dont want to affect the kids too much by changing things u dont mind trying brown rice etc will that help? I had a smaller portion for my tea tonight then some fruit after now drinking water.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I cant test at the mo as have no way of testing only was informed yesterday im prediabetic and trying to prevent type 2 if i can through my diet etc. The problem i have is we love things like curry and shepherds pie etc but the carbs in the rice and potatoes argh. Sorry to be a pain x

Why do you need to eat rice with curry!
I make homemade curry with salad, and soups, everything has an alternative to carbs.
However, for now, basmati rice or brown rice will be better options. And of course portion size.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I have to say this is the one thing I won't give up - I still have my roast chicken with gravy, 2 Yorkshire puds, and only 3 or 4 bits of potato (4 small halves if you want to be accurate). I'll grant you my levels tend to be a bit up on their usual 4's (normally into the upper 5's the next morning), but you've gotta have some fun in life, come on!

(one of these days I'll grow feathers due to all the chicken and eggs I eat - cluck cluck!)

Jojotaylor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
My children love curry with rice. Ill try basmati or brown rice with it and just adjust portion size x

Jojotaylor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I can live without yorkshire puds and will just have less potatoes. Guess id best getbused to smaller portion sizes and just have fruit for after of im hungry still x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So if i do chicken a couple of roasties anda small amount of gravy and plenty of veg it should be ok? Were the type of family who like good old proper food like curry and shepherds pie etc i dont want to affect the kids too much by changing things u dont mind trying brown rice etc will that help? I had a smaller portion for my tea tonight then some fruit after now drinking water.
If you can't test then we haven't got an excuse to enjoy this one off special occasion. Sugar, flour, rice and potatoes should only be taken in small portions or avoided until you can get a tester to help you to know how small the portions should be and which to give up.

You don't have to have rice with a curry. There are many people who prepare cauliflower as a substitute and some of them say it is as good or better than rice. I have yet to try it but if it is as good as they say then I can have a curry too.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/whats-best-way-cook-cauliflower-rice

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can live without yorkshire puds and will just have less potatoes. Guess id best getbused to smaller portion sizes and just have fruit for after of im hungry still x
Fruit is as bad as potatoes.. just eat the chicken and green veg the kids can have the roasties.. bit of gravy should be ok. No need to eat less just eat the right things. I'm assuming you are trying to do the low carb high fat way of eating here that works for a lot of us. You could put some butter on your veg. And don't forget to eat the chicken skin.

Reactions: mo53

Jojotaylor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
My kids will only have curry with rice ill just change the rice. I dont have naan bread. Oh what about pappadums? X also sorry to be a pain im doing a food shop tomorrow and kids have asked for crisps for lunches if i buy some what are best if i fancy a pack is it pom bears skips wotsits. I know all bad and i dont eat crisps that often just trying to find out best options and treats still without whole family doing without rice potatoes etc x

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually cook potatoes for my partner but I have an extra vegetable rather than eating potato. There is no reason for your family to have to do without. :):)
When shopping I look at the nutrition for 100g. If 5g or less that's fine.

Reactions: Engineer88

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My kids will only have curry with rice ill just change the rice. I dont have naan bread. Oh what about pappadums? X also sorry to be a pain im doing a food shop tomorrow and kids have asked for crisps for lunches if i buy some what are best if i fancy a pack is it pom bears skips wotsits. I know all bad and i dont eat crisps that often just trying to find out best options and treats still without whole family doing without rice potatoes etc x
Hi and welcome aboard. I was also diagnosed as pre diabetic earlier this year and reduced my carb intake which has now brought me back to normal levels. With regard to roast dinner i ditched the spuds and substituted another portion of veg instead and now make cottage pies with mashed celeriac as the topping instead of potatoes but I don't have children at home now so just me and hubby to accommodate. I'm sure once you get into this a bit more you will find alternatives that the children will like, google some low carb recipes, you might find some that are suitable for your family's tastes. Diet Doctor has good advice and recipes if you want to go down the Low Carb Higher Fat route. Good luck x

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@Jojotaylor :) I dont want to sound righteous but I threw out potatoes, rice of all colours, pasta, cakes, biscuits, bread and all fruits form my diet when I started the LCHF diet. I would do courgetti for you, and rice for the kids. Courgetti is made by spiralising it and either lightly boiling it or cooking it in butter, and to my taste it is delicious. You might have to give up certain foods but your kids don't have to suffer too:) Or mash some swede (2.5g of carbs per 100g swede) and serve curry on that. You could also try putting some on top of your Shephards Pie. Cauli, which you grate before microwaving it is often eaten as 'rice' or as 'mashed potatoes'. Good luck and have fun with the changes you make. :)

Jojotaylor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Lol. Thanks for the advice. I was very good today. I have been looking at sugars and carbohydrates etc. So off shopping later for food and roast dinner. No Yorkshires but have decided on a single potato cut in half for me and green veg and a little gravy. No pud for me. Just got to see what i can do for brekkie and lunch as im not a brekkie peraon and if i do its normally a couple of slices of toast so will have a look see. Although i did see a cereal at work that looked good and not too bad on carbohydrates and no added sugar so will see. Must buy some scales too x