1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Rog's Newcastle Experience

Discussion in 'Low Calorie Diets' started by Roggg, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Roggg

Roggg · Well-Known Member

Week 3 Summary:
    Weight loss: 0.1 kg (4.6 total)
    Fasting Glucose: 6.0 up from 5.4 last week
    Meds: Metformin 2x1000
    Blood Pressure: 120/80 average
    Observations: I let my focus slip, and lost pretty much all the gains for the week in 2 days. Weight still dropped a hair, but BG hasn't recovered quite yet from my slip-up. I have a lot of work left to do. Blood pressure is still quite good though. Motivation is high, and I'm looking forward to this week.

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. NanaViv

NanaViv · Newbie

I whole heartedly agree with this. Having followed a restrictive diet, under supervision, 4 years ago I had no plan and no support. Once the Bg levels came back to 'normal' I was left to my own devices. The only advice given by the consultant was' you need to put on some weight, about 1/2 stone'. Please ensure you have a follow on plan it is vitally important other wise you will go back to where you started - like me ( weight crept back on but have held at 1/2 stone above where it was recommended I should be, but BG returned to high levels). I now follow a keto diet in an effort to bring those levels down.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Roggg

Absolutely. I have a lot of time to work it out, but I see it as absolutely critical to long-term success. I expect to be eating low-carb...maybe not keto low, but low. I expect to bump the calories up on successive weeks until I find the right level to maintain weight. Even though this diet is for 8 weeks, I see the project as being a long-term thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Fantastic news. Just in one week!

5. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Fantastic results.
    Please keep this diary on going. I'm enthralled by it all.
    I'm starting my 800cals (3 meal replacements +veg meal) in full tomorrow. Bought meals, milk and extra veg today in preparation.
    I tried strawberry flavoured this afternoon and will try caramel tomorrow. They are very sweet.

6. Roggg

Week 4 Summary:
    Weight loss: .7kg (5.3kg total)
    Fasting Glucose: 6.6 up from 6.0 last week
    Meds: Metformin 2x1000
    Blood Pressure: 120/80
    Observations: It's been a rough week. We had tornadoes near me resulting in a multi-day power outage, and a lot of stress. My eating has not been up to the standard I have set for myself, and I need to take a hard look at what I'm doing here. On the bright side, I lost a kg this week, so at the half-way point I am on track to drop 10 kg, which is what I would have said my goal was from the beginning. On the minus, my fasting glucose went up slightly this week from last week. With only 4 weeks to go, I really need to increase my effort and resolve. It will be a hard month to finish. I have Canadian Thanksgiving, which I've always known was going to be a challenge, and I also have 2 likely business trips ahead of me. Sticking to the plan while travelling is going to be incredibly hard for me.
    Oh well...one step at a time.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I understand your hardship.

I'm sooo hungry so I'm drinking dilute sugar free juice and water or black coffees. Anything to stop the hunger.
    Ive had a lapse tonight but meter is still in 7range so hoping for my fbg 5s to continue.
    Sugary milk shakes are causing the hunger. I'm looking at swopping the milk for water so I can have white coffee.
    I so need my bariatric op to stop the huge hunger.

8. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I
    Totally agree. That's where the hard work starts. I know I've nievely done this plan before but went cold turkey after 7st loss. It took 2-3yrs to re-add most of the weight loss.

• Hug Hug x 1
  9. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Mine hasn't but I have a shake before bed. 6.7 this morning but has been in 5s.

#29 ickihun, Sep 27, 2018 at 6:08 AM
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  10. Roggg

So here's my question if anyone has any advice. If I know I'm going to have an extra calorie spend, is it better to tough it out, or is it better to eat a little extra? I'm going later today to help clean up an area that was hit by a tornado, and I'm wondering if I should add some extra calories to breakfast in preparation. Thoughts?

11. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Roggg - what did you end up doing? I completely sympathise with issues like the one you faced (for me when I have been fasting, or low-cal-ing.) Energy needs and so on are a very real concern, and I feel for you when a big event like the tornado hits you on both stress and energy needs counts!

And totally sympathise when it comes to business meetings/lunches/organised events with food.

And, are at the end, or nearing the end, or ended on your ND? Love to hear from you....

And, how are you and yours?

12. Roggg

Hello all,

My first attempt was going very well, then fell apart because I was simply not able to sustain focus. I will update the OP as I go, but today I launch round 2. I have done a lot of reading and viewing on IF as well, and I will likely incorporate ideas from both IF and ND into this attempt.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

No idea where you are weight loss wise but could I suggest simply doing an intermittent fasting and very low carb trial. You far more likely to stick to it as you won't get the hunger that ND usually brings and by eating a higher fat content you get more satiety. Instead of meal replacement shakes just have a lunch of bacon and eggs and then an evening meal. Two meals a day and very low carb?
    It is what has worked for so many of us..

• Like Like x 2
  14. Roggg

Thank you for the advice. It's pretty close to what I envisioned in combining some IF concepts into this attempt. My plan is to keep everything low carb, use real food rather than diet shakes, and to compress my eating hours to 8 or fewer. It's only Newcastle-ish in that I want to maintain a pretty low calorie count for the initial phase. I'm going to go 2 weeks, then see if I''m happy with the process, and if so do two more weeks before transitioning into something maintainable.

I suspect long term will be pretty much what you recommend. I'm just kick-starting with a more ambitious fast to get some early results.

Weight-wise I'm in a decent place. I'm at 80.7 kilos and a BMI of just under 28.

• Like Like x 4
  15. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

OK let us know how it goes.. and good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you want to keep to VLCD, but with "real" food have a look at Michel Mosley's Blood Sugar Diet or Fast 800, my only advise is you need to plan and prep, I did the ND about 4 years ago and lost 3 stone over 6 weeks and my BG's dropped dramatically ,I failed to complete the full 8 weeks as I was getting terrible protein cravings (dreaming about roast chicken) but the weight has stayed off and I'm down a total of 5.5 stone to date, but BG's still higher than I'd like, I know I'm very insulin resistant as even to much protein spike my levels, and I still struggle with the "stop eating when you're full" of LCHF sometimes, my stomach says full, brain says hungry and it's a slow process of re-educating my brain to believing my stomach

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A WIN for trying, and getting back up again...STAR.

i'd be with @bulkbiker here, so i think your plan is a good un.

Best of luck, be interested in your progress also

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Roggg

Hey all. I appreciate the support. Some of the suggestions I got have been rattling around in my head, and I have decided to alter my approach rather than doing low-cal. I think I will do IF with a LCHF diet and see how things go. Going to try a week or two "trying it out" to see how it feels. It's not that hard for me to start eating let in the day. I've done low carb before and I know the adjustment period is hard, but it's easily maintained once I'm adapted. I need to learn a bit more about the high-fat part though, as protein is usually my go-to.

Again, thanks for the advice and support.

19. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Roggg - it's been some time since I read this end to end, but @andcol had some fantastic results doing an an almost ND-mimicking plan a few years ago.

It might throw something into the mix.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook