Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Week 2 Summary:

Weight loss: 1.2 kg (4.5 total)
Fasting Glucose: 5.4 down from 7.2 last week
Meds: I went back on metformin this week and am still on 2x1000 mg.
Blood Pressure: 120/80 average
Observations: Much like last week, I had a couple misses in my eating. This is hard. I have a long way to go, but the results so far justify the struggle. I have a planned cheat day (all-day work event with steakhouse diner at the end) later in the week. Energy has been noticeably lower than my usual level. Not surprising. I am walking a lot. More than 10k steps per day. Mostly I go for walks when the family is eating,

Week 3 Summary:
Weight loss: 0.1 kg (4.6 total)
Fasting Glucose: 6.0 up from 5.4 last week
Meds: Metformin 2x1000
Observations: I let my focus slip, and lost pretty much all the gains for the week in 2 days. Weight still dropped a hair, but BG hasn't recovered quite yet from my slip-up. I have a lot of work left to do. Blood pressure is still quite good though. Motivation is high, and I'm looking forward to this week.

NanaViv

Although this wouldn’t be for me - I follow a ketogenic way of eating - I admire those who are able to stick at it. I believe that having a plan for a sustainable way of eating after the 8 weeks is key to maintaining the benefits.

Sounds like you’ve done your research, but wonder whether @Fleegle might have some useful insights.

Good luck!
I whole heartedly agree with this. Having followed a restrictive diet, under supervision, 4 years ago I had no plan and no support. Once the Bg levels came back to 'normal' I was left to my own devices. The only advice given by the consultant was' you need to put on some weight, about 1/2 stone'. Please ensure you have a follow on plan it is vitally important other wise you will go back to where you started - like me ( weight crept back on but have held at 1/2 stone above where it was recommended I should be, but BG returned to high levels). I now follow a keto diet in an effort to bring those levels down.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I whole heartedly agree with this. Having followed a restrictive diet, under supervision, 4 years ago I had no plan and no support. Once the Bg levels came back to 'normal' I was left to my own devices. The only advice given by the consultant was' you need to put on some weight, about 1/2 stone'. Please ensure you have a follow on plan it is vitally important other wise you will go back to where you started - like me ( weight crept back on but have held at 1/2 stone above where it was recommended I should be, but BG returned to high levels). I now follow a keto diet in an effort to bring those levels down.

Absolutely. I have a lot of time to work it out, but I see it as absolutely critical to long-term success. I expect to be eating low-carb...maybe not keto low, but low. I expect to bump the calories up on successive weeks until I find the right level to maintain weight. Even though this diet is for 8 weeks, I see the project as being a long-term thing.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Summary of week 1:

Weight loss: 3.3 kg (80.4 down from 83.7)
Fasting Glucose: 7..2 (down from 9.5)
Medications: I have dropped all meds. I took BP meds a couple times early on but have dropped them again since.
Blood Pressure: Although not posting it I'm taking it daily and am averaging 125/83 with 0 meds. That's pretty surprising...
Observations: The calorie restrictions are hard. I've had a couple of misses on my daily calorie count, Keeping focus is going to be a challenge.
Fantastic news. Just in one week!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Week 3 Summary:
Observations: I let my focus slip, and lost pretty much all the gains for the week in 2 days. Weight still dropped a hair, but BG hasn't recovered quite yet from my slip-up. I have a lot of work left to do. Blood pressure is still quite good though. Motivation is high, and I'm looking forward to this week.
Fantastic results.
Please keep this diary on going. I'm enthralled by it all.
I'm starting my 800cals (3 meal replacements +veg meal) in full tomorrow. Bought meals, milk and extra veg today in preparation.
I tried strawberry flavoured this afternoon and will try caramel tomorrow. They are very sweet.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Week 3 Summary:

Week 4 Summary:
Weight loss: .7kg (5.3kg total)
Fasting Glucose: 6.6 up from 6.0 last week
Blood Pressure: 120/80
Observations: It's been a rough week. We had tornadoes near me resulting in a multi-day power outage, and a lot of stress. My eating has not been up to the standard I have set for myself, and I need to take a hard look at what I'm doing here. On the bright side, I lost a kg this week, so at the half-way point I am on track to drop 10 kg, which is what I would have said my goal was from the beginning. On the minus, my fasting glucose went up slightly this week from last week. With only 4 weeks to go, I really need to increase my effort and resolve. It will be a hard month to finish. I have Canadian Thanksgiving, which I've always known was going to be a challenge, and I also have 2 likely business trips ahead of me. Sticking to the plan while travelling is going to be incredibly hard for me.
Oh well...one step at a time.

Reactions: Serena51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Week 4 Summary:
Weight loss: .7kg (5.3kg total)
Fasting Glucose: 6.6 up from 6.0 last week
Blood Pressure: 120/80
Observations: It's been a rough week. We had tornadoes near me resulting in a multi-day power outage, and a lot of stress. My eating has not been up to the standard I have set for myself, and I need to take a hard look at what I'm doing here. On the bright side, I lost a kg this week, so at the half-way point I am on track to drop 10 kg, which is what I would have said my goal was from the beginning. On the minus, my fasting glucose went up slightly this week from last week. With only 4 weeks to go, I really need to increase my effort and resolve. It will be a hard month to finish. I have Canadian Thanksgiving, which I've always known was going to be a challenge, and I also have 2 likely business trips ahead of me. Sticking to the plan while travelling is going to be incredibly hard for me.
Oh well...one step at a time.
I understand your hardship.

I'm sooo hungry so I'm drinking dilute sugar free juice and water or black coffees. Anything to stop the hunger.
Ive had a lapse tonight but meter is still in 7range so hoping for my fbg 5s to continue.
Sugary milk shakes are causing the hunger. I'm looking at swopping the milk for water so I can have white coffee.
I so need my bariatric op to stop the huge hunger.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I
Although this wouldn’t be for me - I follow a ketogenic way of eating - I admire those who are able to stick at it. I believe that having a plan for a sustainable way of eating after the 8 weeks is key to maintaining the benefits.

Sounds like you’ve done your research, but wonder whether @Fleegle might have some useful insights.

Good luck!
Totally agree. That's where the hard work starts. I know I've nievely done this plan before but went cold turkey after 7st loss. It took 2-3yrs to re-add most of the weight loss.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well done for being brave enough to try this.

I would think that for the first couple of days your BG's might be slightly higher than normal, as your Liver tries desperately to help maintain them.
Mine hasn't but I have a shake before bed. 6.7 this morning but has been in 5s.

Last edited:

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So here's my question if anyone has any advice. If I know I'm going to have an extra calorie spend, is it better to tough it out, or is it better to eat a little extra? I'm going later today to help clean up an area that was hit by a tornado, and I'm wondering if I should add some extra calories to breakfast in preparation. Thoughts?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Roggg - what did you end up doing? I completely sympathise with issues like the one you faced (for me when I have been fasting, or low-cal-ing.) Energy needs and so on are a very real concern, and I feel for you when a big event like the tornado hits you on both stress and energy needs counts!

And totally sympathise when it comes to business meetings/lunches/organised events with food.

And, are at the end, or nearing the end, or ended on your ND? Love to hear from you....

And, how are you and yours?

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

My first attempt was going very well, then fell apart because I was simply not able to sustain focus. I will update the OP as I go, but today I launch round 2. I have done a lot of reading and viewing on IF as well, and I will likely incorporate ideas from both IF and ND into this attempt.

Reactions: Goonergal

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

My first attempt was going very well, then fell apart because I was simply not able to sustain focus. I will update the OP as I go, but today I launch round 2. I have done a lot of reading and viewing on IF as well, and I will likely incorporate ideas from both IF and ND into this attempt.
No idea where you are weight loss wise but could I suggest simply doing an intermittent fasting and very low carb trial. You far more likely to stick to it as you won't get the hunger that ND usually brings and by eating a higher fat content you get more satiety. Instead of meal replacement shakes just have a lunch of bacon and eggs and then an evening meal. Two meals a day and very low carb?
It is what has worked for so many of us..

Reactions: ickihun and jjraak

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No idea where you are weight loss wise but could I suggest simply doing an intermittent fasting and very low carb trial. You far more likely to stick to it as you won't get the hunger that ND usually brings and by eating a higher fat content you get more satiety. Instead of meal replacement shakes just have a lunch of bacon and eggs and then an evening meal. Two meals a day and very low carb?

Thank you for the advice. It's pretty close to what I envisioned in combining some IF concepts into this attempt. My plan is to keep everything low carb, use real food rather than diet shakes, and to compress my eating hours to 8 or fewer. It's only Newcastle-ish in that I want to maintain a pretty low calorie count for the initial phase. I'm going to go 2 weeks, then see if I''m happy with the process, and if so do two more weeks before transitioning into something maintainable.

I suspect long term will be pretty much what you recommend. I'm just kick-starting with a more ambitious fast to get some early results.

Weight-wise I'm in a decent place. I'm at 80.7 kilos and a BMI of just under 28.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the advice. It's pretty close to what I envisioned in combining some IF concepts into this attempt. My plan is to keep everything low carb, use real food rather than diet shakes, and to compress my eating hours to 8 or fewer. It's only Newcastle-ish in that I want to maintain a pretty low calorie count for the initial phase. I'm going to go 2 weeks, then see if I''m happy with the process, and if so do two more weeks before transitioning into something maintainable.

I suspect long term will be pretty much what you recommend. I'm just kick-starting with a more ambitious fast to get some early results.

Weight-wise I'm in a decent place. I'm at 80.7 kilos and a BMI of just under 28.
OK let us know how it goes.. and good luck!

Reactions: ickihun

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you want to keep to VLCD, but with "real" food have a look at Michel Mosley's Blood Sugar Diet or Fast 800, my only advise is you need to plan and prep, I did the ND about 4 years ago and lost 3 stone over 6 weeks and my BG's dropped dramatically ,I failed to complete the full 8 weeks as I was getting terrible protein cravings (dreaming about roast chicken) but the weight has stayed off and I'm down a total of 5.5 stone to date, but BG's still higher than I'd like, I know I'm very insulin resistant as even to much protein spike my levels, and I still struggle with the "stop eating when you're full" of LCHF sometimes, my stomach says full, brain says hungry and it's a slow process of re-educating my brain to believing my stomach

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

A WIN for trying, and getting back up again...STAR.

i'd be with @bulkbiker here, so i think your plan is a good un.

Best of luck, be interested in your progress also

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey all. I appreciate the support. Some of the suggestions I got have been rattling around in my head, and I have decided to alter my approach rather than doing low-cal. I think I will do IF with a LCHF diet and see how things go. Going to try a week or two "trying it out" to see how it feels. It's not that hard for me to start eating let in the day. I've done low carb before and I know the adjustment period is hard, but it's easily maintained once I'm adapted. I need to learn a bit more about the high-fat part though, as protein is usually my go-to.

Again, thanks for the advice and support.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all. I appreciate the support. Some of the suggestions I got have been rattling around in my head, and I have decided to alter my approach rather than doing low-cal. I think I will do IF with a LCHF diet and see how things go. Going to try a week or two "trying it out" to see how it feels. It's not that hard for me to start eating let in the day. I've done low carb before and I know the adjustment period is hard, but it's easily maintained once I'm adapted. I need to learn a bit more about the high-fat part though, as protein is usually my go-to.

Again, thanks for the advice and support.

Roggg - it's been some time since I read this end to end, but @andcol had some fantastic results doing an an almost ND-mimicking plan a few years ago.

It might throw something into the mix.

Reactions: Lizzyr59 and Gruers