Rookie Question - Ketosis check

Prince4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask, maybe a silly question. Is there any way I easily check that I am in Ketosis. I have a Acqu-Check device and can check Blood glucose levels easily but are there any devices or strips that can confirm if I am in Keto or not that anyone can recommend. Right now I can tell through perceived symptoms such as weight loss/ flu like etc but wanted to know if there was anything I could get in Boots/Pharmacy etc? Thanks

Reactions: Helen H

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep - you just need ketostix. I buy mine via Amazon and they're around £10 for a tub of 50. pee on them, and they change colour to give you a rough guide as to the level of ketosis you're in.

Some BG meters also test for ketones - I've never done this although my Gluco will do it - I don't see the need.

Helen H

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As @KennyA says, I use Ketostix from Amazon. You can get meters and strips but the strips are quite expensive - about £1/strip.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy these on Amazon £5.49 for 100 and I only use one now and then
Screenshot 2024-02-11 6.04.07 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Pipp

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just add that urine ketostix can stop registering ketones for some people after a while, even whilst deeply in ketosis. Once you are not only in ketosis but also efficiently fat burning and using ketones (a few weeks or more) then it might be you are using all the ketones and no longer peeing out excess as you are initially. Blood testing methods, which are more expensiv, overcome this issue if you still feel the need to check. Possibly breath ones too but I’ve never read much into these so can’t be sure. Blood, urine and breath tests measure different types of ketones too.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just add that urine ketostix can stop registering ketones for some people after a while, even whilst deeply in ketosis. Once you are not only in ketosis but also efficiently fat burning and using ketones (a few weeks or more) then it might be you are using all the ketones and no longer peeing out excess as you are initially. Blood testing methods, which are more expensiv, overcome this issue if you still feel the need to check. Possibly breath ones too but I’ve never read much into these so can’t be sure. Blood, urine and breath tests measure different types of ketones too.
Yup.I'm pretty sure I'm still in ketosis. Consistently less than 20g carbs and still losing weight. The strips have gone from the very darkest purple to a kind of weird grey that isn't even one of the options.