Room 101 (like the TV prog)

rodman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Loads :)
Get rid of ladies tights, and bring back stockings :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd say blokes who think they should decide what women should wear need to be in.
:rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 people

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
1) People with abhorrent grammar/spelling ability (I understand some people struggle with spellings e.t.c from dyslexia and so on) but common grammar errors; their, they're, there for example, should be soooo simple to people. TEXT SPEAK! I prpa h8 it! Seriously, I want to kill it with fire! Especially now in this age of predictive text! Argh!
2) Selfish people who drive & use mobile phones. A friend's daughter ended up in a wheelchair courtesy of such a driver.
3) Not so much a thing/person, but a phrase: "Should you be eating that?". Just. No. #I'mdiabeticnotonhungerstrike

I like this game!

Reactions: 10 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1) People with abhorrent grammar/spelling ability (I understand some people struggle with spellings e.t.c from dyslexia and so on) but common grammar errors; their, they're, there for example, should be soooo simple to people. TEXT SPEAK! I prpa h8 it! Seriously, I want to kill it with fire! Especially now in this age of predictive text! Argh!
2) Selfish people who drive & use mobile phones. A friend's daughter ended up in a wheelchair courtesy of such a driver.
3) Not so much a thing/person, but a phrase: "Should you be eating that?". Just. No. #I'mdiabeticnotonhungerstrike

I like this game!
I agree with points 2 and 3. Totally.
I can't agree with point 1, though. It is possible that when I was younger, and had perfectionist attitude I would agree. I used to be so (but never 'soooo') vigilant about spelling, grammar, and such. I would proofread everything I had written, and make several drafts before letting things go. Very important in a professional context. As I have aged, I find I have less time to be that picky. I make frequent mistakes. I forget things. I find my spelling and grammar is far from perfect. So I am a lot more tolerant of how others use and misuse homophones, because some of the most useful support and advice in here has been from people who do get muddled with spellings and grammar. I would hate to throw away the baby with the bath water.

So can we keep people who have abhorrent spelling and grammatic (or should that be grammatical ?) ability safely out of room 101, please?

Edit by Pipp, who is still unsure of spelling and grammar! :);)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Spelling and grammar is one thing - I'm on a few different forums and people have varying degrees of difficulty with spelling, etc but it is usually pretty easy to follow what is being said with no problems. I certainly wouldn't dream of pulling anybody up about it, although I have seen others do this. Nope, sorry - it's text speak on forums that really drives me nuts. "Sed, wud, cud, iv, ur.." and the rest, a lot of the time, the post is really frustrating to read. Keep it for mobiles please!:banghead:

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @ladybird64
For making the distinction between spelling / grammar mistakes and deliberate use of text speak.
What shall we do with offenders? I say keep the bad spelling folks out, but put the deliberate text speak culprits in.

Reactions: 4 people

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
I agree with points 2 and 3. Totally.
I can't agree with point 1, though. It is possible that when I was younger, and had perfectionist attitude I would agree. I used to be so (but never 'soooo') vigilant about spelling, grammar, and such. I would proofread everything I had written, and make several drafts before letting things go. Very important in a professional context. As I have aged, I find I have less time to be that picky. I make frequent mistakes. I forget things. I find my spelling and grammar is far from perfect. So I am a lot more tolerant of how others use and misuse homophones, because some of the most useful support and advice in here has been from people who do get muddled with spellings and grammar. I would hate to throw away the baby with the bath water.

So can we keep people who have abhorrent spelling and grammatic (or should that be grammatical ?) ability safely out of room 101, please?

Edit by Pipp, who is still unsure of spelling and grammar! :);)

Haha! I love this!

Yes, I know it's that old cliche of people in glass houses!I think my main bug bear is text speak more so than basic spelling & grammar errors. You know, where it's a mixture of letters & numbers. Sometimes completely illegible!

I think the reason I get a bit picky is because of my job. I haven to thoroughly check everything three times before I send it off, I assume that's where it comes from. Let me tell you, sending paperwork off to a solicitor with a huge spelling error on it is pretty darn embarrassing! :eek: That said, I do let it slide a bit when I'm not in the office - as my soooo remark definitely showed!!

So yes, I officially retract my first point from room 101. Now I have to think of something to replace it! :p

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
Hey, I jusst went back and edited a buncha posts before seeing your retraction. I didn't want to be seen as "one of those" kind of people....but I am....

Oh no! See, now I feel really bad! :oops:

This is my biggest problem in life - I don't have a very good filter on my brain. Even when I'm typing what I'm thinking I seem to lack the ability to foresee potential problems with what I'm saying!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haha! I love this!

Yes, I know it's that old cliche of people in glass houses!I think my main bug bear is text speak more so than basic spelling & grammar errors. You know, where it's a mixture of letters & numbers. Sometimes completely illegible!

I think the reason I get a bit picky is because of my job. I haven to thoroughly check everything three times before I send it off, I assume that's where it comes from. Let me tell you, sending paperwork off to a solicitor with a huge spelling error on it is pretty darn embarrassing! :eek: That said, I do let it slide a bit when I'm not in the office - as my soooo remark definitely showed!!

So yes, I officially retract my first point from room 101. Now I have to think of something to replace it! :p

Ah, you'll be just fine in here, @zoze_j . This has always been a light hearted sort of thread, for those of us who enjoy a bit of banter. ( I mean, did you see the way the thread started?) So, or perhaps 'soooo' ;) you keep on venting here. Oh, and ENJOY!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not about hate, just about things that annoy.
Today mud is annoying me. I fell in some. It was freezing cold smelly sticky mud. Caused by persistent rain and snow. And I am still trying to remove much of it from about my person, along with the twigs, bits of leaf, and unidentifiable animal droppings.

I also want to chuck the decent waterproof walking shoes in that I bought two weeks ago, because they had chunky soles with great big ridges that would grip in the mud. They broke after two shortish walks. So I wasn't wearing them when I slipped. I would drop them down the 101 hatch, but I preferred to bother the shop assistant for a refund. As he was so nice, and so apologetic. It sort of spoiled my rant.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dont know if it's been posted yet or not but 1 thing I absolutely HATE is people who borrow money, promise to pay it back then spin a load of bull and stop talking to you just so they dont have to pay it back.

Also, hate to say it but that one person has made me not trust a single person on this site.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dont know if it's been posted yet or not but 1 thing I absolutely HATE is people who borrow money, promise to pay it back then spin a load of bull and stop talking to you just so they dont have to pay it back.

Also, hate to say it but that one person has made me not trust a single person on this site.

You've lent money to somebody on this site? :eek: Why? OK, I don't know if you knew this person or not, and I'm really sorry you have been taken for a ride like this. But not trusting everybody else..I mean it's an internet site, we are talking about diabetes, not financial favours? Just block whoever it is, and put it down to experience, you made a bad judgement call, plenty of us do that. But be really wary of dishing out money to people you don't know and trust, not the best idea. Block the person and move on from it xx

Last edited by a moderator:

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, they came to visit me cause they were bored one night (with a friend of theirs).

Let them sleep at mine, took them for something to eat then gave them £50 as they said they didnt have enough money for petrol to get home again.

Idiot I am should have let them walk!!

Saying that, its my own fault for being an idiot.

Shouldnt not trust everyone just cause of one lying cow.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ladybird64 I wont block her just for the simple fact that I know she comes on quite a lot now. Just so long as she remembers I havent forgotten.

Nevermind, wont be that stupid again. Have met so many nice people on here and wouldnt tar them all with the same brush as her.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yeah, they came to visit me cause they were bored one night (with a friend of theirs).

Let them sleep at mine, took them for something to eat then gave them £50 as they said they didnt have enough money for petrol to get home again.

Idiot I am should have let them walk!!

Saying that, its my own fault for being an idiot.

Shouldnt not trust everyone just cause of one lying cow.

Kindhearted x We have all done it but it teaches a lesson I guess. I wouldn't let them near your door again hon, if it is somebody you met on here, then you couldn't have got to know them very well. Really worried that you may be giving out your address to strangers (it's the maternal thing coming out now lol) - better to get to know people well and even then, I'd still be wary. Plenty of trustworthy people around though, don't let one experience put you off;).

And yes..a long walk off a short pier would have been the best idea!:D xx

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@ladybird64 I wont block her just for the simple fact that I know she comes on quite a lot now. Just so long as she remembers I havent forgotten.

Nevermind, wont be that stupid again. Have met so many nice people on here and wouldnt tar them all with the same brush as her.

Posts crossed. your first paragraph is the best of all, the right idea.:)

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooh, Can I also put in the wait for exam results? Or results of any kind??

jakejayeden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tuition Fees are high, the economy is **** and I'm convinced the local MP is not human, but instead a paper bag filled with unmarked bank notes.

However I feel Jamie Oliver should go to room 101.

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
Animal cruelty
Ah, you'll be just fine in here, @zoze_j . This has always been a light hearted sort of thread, for those of us who enjoy a bit of banter. ( I mean, did you see the way the thread started?) So, or perhaps 'soooo' ;) you keep on venting here. Oh, and ENJOY!

Thanks @Pipp :) Sometimes I can be too outspoken for my own good! :banghead::banghead: