Type 2 Rum, Vodka and Whiskey

Hampshire_Lad

Hi,
I've been reading my new Carbs and Cals book and am quite surprised to see that spirits such as rum, vodka and whiskey have zero carbs?
I was under the assumption that most alcoholic drinks were a no no for type 2's like me, so this has come as quite a pleasant development.
I see that the calorific content of these drinks is high though, but we have to get our energy from somewhere! :)
I have never been a big drinker but I do miss a nice pint of cider on hot sunny evenings. (cider has a large amount of carbs in it according to my book and should be avoided)

Do any of you fellow type 2's fit spirits such as these into your weekly routine? And if so, how much do you consume?

Reactions: novorapidboi26

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like a gin and slimline, but have quit the questionable habit of scoffing the lemon slice afterwards. Also rum and coke zero. Half a bottle of red wine if I'm having a cheese night. My better half and I drink weekend evenings, 2 or 3 nights, and the rest of the week is alcohol free. We consume 3-6 units each per 'session' as we can't be more than slightly tiddly with a kid in the house, and we drink this amount slowly over 4 or 5 hours.

I have found that alcohol will drop my BG levels and raise ketone readings, and I believe this is due to the liver being unable to multi task when processing alcohol.

I used to love a pale ale or a cider, especially on warmer days, but revisiting the old fashioned G&T has mitigated the disappointment of giving the beers and ciders up.

Vodka and Irish Whiskey I'm very happy to drink neat, but that's a whole other ball game....

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not a big spirits guy. Can't drink them neat, but I do like mixing a shot of Jack Daniels or Captain Morgan Spiced Rum with a can of bud light. 6.7 carbs per can and I love the taste of the beer.

Although, I still miss having an ice cold can of dark fruit cider ☹️

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah, spirits and wine have no carbs in them......with the exception of sweet, dessert wines of course.....;)

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was under the assumption that most alcoholic drinks were a no no for type 2's
Beer is a no no. sugar and gives you a beer belly that's why its called liquid bread.

Read a study a little while back that tested drinking a glass of wine or water to see which was most beneficial to T2's.
Red wine won, even white wine beat water in keeping the liver healthy. ;)
:bag:

Hampshire_Lad

[QUOTE Read a study a little while back that tested drinking a glass of wine or water to see which was most beneficial to T2's.
:bag:[/QUOTE]

Wow, now that's a study I can put my support behind! :)

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Most healing water is perfectly fine provided it's not mixed with a bunch of sugar, like rum&coke(the non-diet kind) or drinks with a lot of juice or sugary tonic water etc in it. Beer can vary a great deal depending on brand, you may want to look up your favourite brands to figure out which ones are friendlier for your blood sugar.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE Read a study a little while back that tested drinking a glass of wine or water to see which was most beneficial to T2's.
:bag:

Wow, now that's a study I can put my support behind! :)[/QUOTE]

'Well, that's another fine mess......', said @Hampshire_Lad Lad after a few days intense studying.

Reactions: Hampshire_Lad

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
spirits and dry red wine have positive impact on BG level - lowering effect. But don’t use it as meds - your liver will protest :)