Running - advice needed

insanity

Hello,

I've just joined tonight after reading some of the posts here, looking for a bit of advice, how do you all cope when doing some exercise such as running long distance (5-10k) or whilst doing an aerobics/dance class?

I've tried everything, lately I've been starting out at 5-6mmol with a quick drink of lucozade before hand but when I get home I hypo, or I go high because my basal has been lowered for too long.

I've tried variations on the following: Dropping my basal an hour before, or two hours before, having some lucozade before going out running, even deliberately letting myself run higher before exercising and yet the same thing happens ie I either have a hypo during or when I get home from the class/run. I think once or twice I was luckily ok afterwards but my sugars spiked 3 hours later and I was 20mmol.

What are your experiences? Does anything work?

insanity

Thank you noblehead. The website is very good. I'll have to sit with it and my trusty notepad, lets hope something jumps out at me.

Scardoc

Eat something during exercise as well. I have a jelly baby every mile I run, or more if it's very intensive. I also reduce my insulin the meal time before and after. When I am exercising regularly I also need to reduce my background insulin.

Also be aware that not exercising (through injury, illness, can't be ***** etc) when your in a routine will probably result in your blood glucose levels going up. I've not run for a few weeks and have had to increase my dose every meal time and background. After a week of getting back into it they will all start to come down again.

insanity

Thanks Scardoc, i've noticed the same if I miss a day of running my sugars creep up later in the day. I've had to run a few extra basals if I know I'm having a lazy day.

I did wonder about reducing my bolus as well as my basal but then I seem to go a bit higher afterwards, does this happen to you? Or do you just do either a reduction in basal or bolus?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Darcy what has that got to do with running!!!

insanity

Thanks Bucco, i've requested to join the group! Amazingly the other night I did a full 45 minutes without a hypo, I've no idea why because I did nothing different to what I usually do!

walterrichmand

Running builds muscle, strengthens bone and is an excellent all over body work out. Most people start running because they want to control their body weight. Running is considered to be one of the most effective exercises when it comes to burning calories.