Running with or without insulin

Run Allan Run

Getting back into running.
I previously ran with moderately higher blood sugars and a couple of units insulin.
I had different results doing this , hypo to strong runs over 3 -6 miles. I did a 1/2 marathon and my blood sugars stayed high and i was cramping in the final stages of the run.
Question is do i need any insulin when doing 3 -6 mile runs ?
At this stage runs will be 40 - 80 minutes.

Reactions: Juicyj

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
(eg Hi @Run Allan Run and welcome to the forums.

Can you tell us what type of diabetes you have, as I have a feeling the answer may depend on that.
Also, what kind of insulin are you taking? Basal, bolus, mixed? A pump?

(As a T1, I always have some background basal insulin on board)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have any answers (I only run if I'm late for the bus) but I'll tag @In Response for you, who has experience with it I believe, and who has some helpful links on it as well, if I remember correctly.

Reactions: EllieM

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum @Run Allan Run

I run 2-3 times a week and anything from 5km to a marathon, I have a different strategy depending on the distance/duration.

My first rule is to run with levels between 7-9 mmol/l, if I am there already for a 5km I don't do anything differently, I use a pump and keep it on, but if it's raining then i'll take it off and take a little bolus shot at the end. When running longer distances I will put my pump into exercise mode an hour before (or if I was injecting then I would ensure I had no quick acting insulin on board).

Running with levels above 12 mmol/l means the extra glucose is floating around my system and as it's not being absorbed then I tend to feel tired and lethargic and my niggly inner voice gets louder, so keeping levels into single figures is vital, also running am vs pm also has a major effect on me, as I am more insulin resistant in the morning and this is my best time to run, whereas at night I can hit the proverbial hypo floor quite quickly so time of day does have an effect too.

Best tip from me is to get to know yourself by building up your runs and seeing what works and what doesn't but always carry glucose, I use glucotabs for running as they don't melt, get crushed and are quick and easy to consume.

Reactions: Run Allan Run

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the tag @Antje77
Unlike @juicy, I do not like to exercise with a higher blood sugar. I usually aim for something between 6 and 7. Over 8, I start tro feel sluggish. I know some people build up on carbs before they start and then take more as their levels drop. I prefer to try to keep my levels stable and find drinking a weak fruit squash instead of water helps. I would be drinking the water anyway so it does not feel as if I am doing much different. I also try to avoid exercising for 3 or 4 hours after my last bolus so I have little bolus onboard. Otherwise, I will definitely see my levels fall fast

I do a number of different types of sport but rarely running. Probably the equivalent is cycling. I find the effect on my blood sugars is little to do with the duration but more to do with the stress.
- A pootle with my friends along the flat tow path has little effect
- A harder flat ride on a pleasant but not too hot day would cause my levels to drop (in the absence of squashy water)
- A steep uphill climb in the rain against a strong wind would make my levels rise.

I wonder whether your half marathon experience is somewhat equivalent to my steep upill, especially if you were concerned by the run and naturally tiring due to the distance,

Unfortunately, we are all different (and change as our fitness improves) so it will take a bit of trial and error to find out what your body needs.
The website runsweet.com focuses on Type 1 and sport so may provide some tips. Unfortunately, it does not look as if it has been maintained for a few years but what is there is still valid.

Reactions: Run Allan Run

Mike88

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Run Allan Run
How are you getting on? I run 5km 3x a week. I have steroid induced diabetes & basal-bolus (NovoRapid & Lantus) plus metformin. Have found it's best if I omit the bolus dose before my run & let my glucose run high (above 10). Otherwise I "bonk" towards the end of my run & it takes me ages to recover. Works best if I can run 2-3 hours after breakfast porridge. Can't really fit that in, so run early evening. Usually not over 10 after lunch so have to eat a snack about an hour before the run. Usually end up below 5 after my run even if I'm very high (12-15) before. It does involve a bit more planning or rescue doses of NovoRapid if I have to change my plans. Bit annoying but there's always a way to adapt.