Rybelsus

cmpokey

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am diabetic and was put on lowest dose of Rybelsus tablets. I took it for eight days. I started to get hypoglycemic symptoms but when I checked bg it read in normal range so thought nothing of it but stopped at pharmacists suggestion cause I was taking metformin also. Continued to take it hoping hypo would stop. Did not. It after a few days developed into severe enough confusion I could not think enough to know what to do to help myself. I was completely lost. Still my bg was reading normal. Finally I thought of treating it as if I had low blood sugar reading. Shortly after my brain started to behave right. So two days later I thought I’ll try my seven minute walking workout and with that that severe confusion ensued. I took glucose tablets again and it normalized again. It is now three weeks and a day since I went off Rybelsus and I continue to have readings that do not match the hypo symptoms just not the severe confusion. Has anyone ever experienced this? It’s been a never ending nightmare and I do not have any idea what to do cause my primary doc won’t do anything. And I have no idea how long this will go on. Tia!
Cathy
Oh I’m in us I hope I didn’t break any rules posting here

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @cmpokey and welcome to the forums. (Though the forums are based in the UK the members are international and you are very welcome to post here).
Rybelsus lasts a long time in the body – about 4 to 5 weeks after the last dose.

So it may be that you just have to wait? I don't take semaglutide personally so can't help you any more than that but hopefully some more T2s will come along with their experiences soon...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. I’m puzzled, why do you think these are hypo symptoms when your blood sugars are normal. The symptoms started well after commencing the Rybelsus and haven’t improved even though you’ve stopped the tablets. Maybe it is something else altogether causing your symptoms?
It could possibly be that you are getting false hypos, that is readings lower than your body is used to. What were you readings before starting Rybelsus?
I’ve recently started on Rybelsus too and the 3 mg dose is apparently not effective it’s just like a loading dose to get used to the drug til 30 days later you increase to an effective dose of 7mg.

Edit for typo

Last edited:

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dehydration comes to mind. My dear old mum was a diabetic and used to get very disoriented if she became dehydrate. I’m not suggesting this is you but maybe something to think about? I used to get dizzy spells, couldn’t think and feel exhausted and it turned out I was very low on Vit B9 confirmed by a blood test. Vitamins D and B deficiency is a thing for diabetics apparently. Have you discussed these symptoms with your GP? He might get some blood tests done.

Reactions: cdpm and EllieM

cmpokey

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. I’m puzzled, why do you think these are hypo symptoms when your blood sugars are normal. The symptoms started well after commencing the Rybelsus and haven’t improved even though you’ve stopped the tablets. Maybe it is something else altogether causing your symptoms?
It could possibly be that you are getting false hypos, that is readings lower than your body is used to. What were you readings before starting Rybelsus?
I’ve recently started on Rybelsus too and the 3 mg dose is apparently not effective it’s just like a loading dose to get used to the drug til 30 days later you increase to an effective dose of 7mg.

Edit for typo
hi rachox,
I assumed based on the symptoms it was hypoglycemia and the fact that when I did treat the hypoglycemia the symptoms improved. I had only heard of false hypos last night after posting. My readings before were usually between 110 and 130 something fasting. But in the past I have had bg in the 20's and the severe confusion felt a lot like that. It is only upon starting the rybelsus that my problems in hypoglycemia started after years with good readings. It sure is a mystery.
Thank you!

cmpokey

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dehydration comes to mind. My dear old mum was a diabetic and used to get very disoriented if she became dehydrate. I’m not suggesting this is you but maybe something to think about? I used to get dizzy spells, couldn’t think and feel exhausted and it turned out I was very low on Vit B9 confirmed by a blood test. Vitamins D and B deficiency is a thing for diabetics apparently. Have you discussed these symptoms with your GP? He might get some blood tests done.
hi missmuffett,
I will ask my doc about those blood tests. Thank you!

yahinvicee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This med Rybelsus is awesome. It has helped me bring my A1C down to 5.1 from a high of 9.7. I first started with the 3mg and am now on the 14mg. Been on this med since March and while I did experience some nausea and mild upset stomach it went away after about a week. It has also helped me lose 50lbs as well. I also take with metformin. I should be the poster child for this drug...even though I'm 50 - https://euhealth24.com/drug/rybelsus

Last edited:

Sunnysky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
This med Rybelsus is awesome. It has helped me bring my A1C down to 5.1 from a high of 9.7. I first started with the 3mg and am now on the 14mg. Been on this med since March and while I did experience some nausea and mild upset stomach it went away after about a week. It has also helped me lose 50lbs as well. I also take with metformin. I should be the poster child for this drug...even though I'm 50.
Hello
I've just seen that you're taking Rybelsus. I've been prescribed this as I am diabetic and need to lose weight for surgery. Just wondering how you have been on it and have you tried any other diabetic medications as well?