Sad

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's pretty hard not to be self blaming when most of the info. Out there says weight plays a major role in type 2 diabetes.
So since I allowed myself to get so fat I am to blame for it.
But
I'm not too sure it is now. As my weight loss hadn't helped. NONE of my health conditions. In fact 1 got worse!! Maybe a coincidence but very disappointing.
Our ability to generate and use insulin is actually a volume problem, not necessarily weight. Think bulk and mass not weight. Weight reduction does seem to play a part, as has been advised for many decades now. That advice is still valid. The problem us T2D suffer is metabolic syndrome, which is a byproduct of the diabetes. It is responsible for our weight gain especially around the midriff and belly. The Newcastle diet studies have demonstrated that some T2D are able to get into remission by dieting for severe weight loss (15% reduction) but that remission recedes if weight is gained back again after the diet. So yes, weight is part of the enigma. Insulin has to spread out to all areas of the body to work its magic, so the bigger the body the less effective insulin is. It makes sense and is demonstrated by many studies.

That said, T2D weight is due to the metabolic disorder, and is not something to beat ourselves with, but losing weight helps when we want to fight back. But it is not a simple solution to solve. There are otherfactors at play such as insulin resistance and insulin insufficiency.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know it's tempting to do that, but who would suffer in the long run? Certainly not the drs! Only you can decide if it's worth pushing medics for the help you need, and pushing again and again. I've had to push the nhs a lot at times over the last 47 years, both for myself and members of my family, and I know how it can wear you down. Was it worth it - you bet it was!!

Have you got anybody who can advocate on your behalf, if you aren't getting what you need?

• Useful
Reactions: cdpm and Oldvatr

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
I know it's tempting to do that, but who would suffer in the long run? Certainly not the drs! Only you can decide if it's worth pushing medics for the help you need, and pushing again and again. I've had to push the nhs a lot at times over the last 47 years, both for myself and members of my family, and I know how it can wear you down. Was it worth it - you bet it was!!

Have you got anybody who can advocate on your behalf, if you aren't getting what you need?
No. My family believes diabetics can still eat all the "healthy" foods. I stopped trying to say some can't.
I have a family member who lives many miles away that would if we lived closer but I don't see how she can. That far away.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Would a public health unit nurse advocate if I could get in free to talk to one?
There are cde' s here but I'm not sure someone recommending ice cream and pudding and sugary flavored instant oatmeal would be a good advocate?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would a public health unit nurse advocate if I could get in free to talk to one?
There are cde' s here but I'm not sure someone recommending ice cream and pudding and sugary flavored instant oatmeal would be a good advocate?
Here in the UK we have PALS
They are attached to the district hospitals. We also have Citizens Advice. Some charities offer support, but I am not aware of one for Diabetics that does advocacy. In the UK most GP's will allow a friend or carer to act as advocate so it does not need to be a qualified person. Normally complaints about medical care can be discussed with the Practice Manager who is the administrative head of a GP practice. But Canada is not the UK even if it is still colored pink on the map

Reactions: cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So it seems I don't have a way to lower my blood sugar.
I'm at my end.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So it seems I don't have a way to lower my blood sugar.
I'm at my end.
In the UK we have DESMOND and Dafne education courses for diabetics. The Desmond one is for T2D and I am not sure if it covers insulin use. The Dafne course is for new T1D and covers insulin dosing etc. I would think the Dafne courrse may be of benefit to you and there does seem to be an online version. But it is exclusively for T1D so you may find you cannot access it.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Still sad
Things don't get better

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It might seem too hard at the moment, but after watching my mother ignore all the good advice about her T2 I really wanted to manage my own when I was diagnosed.
I am lucky that I have a couple of friends who support me. although I fell out with a different friend when she first helped then decided I'd been low carb long enough because she knew someone who'd cured their T2 by diet and running every day!

Can you manage to get your own meals and ignore the rest?

I have cooked for others who eat carbs but just left the carbs off my plate and had extra protein and green veg. It took a lot of willpower at first but now I can ignore the carbs 99.9% of the time.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It might seem too hard at the moment, but after watching my mother ignore all the good advice about her T2 I really wanted to manage my own when I was diagnosed.
I am lucky that I have a couple of friends who support me. although I fell out with a different friend when she first helped then decided I'd been low carb long enough because she knew someone who'd cured their T2 by diet and running every day!

Can you manage to get your own meals and ignore the rest?

I have cooked for others who eat carbs but just left the carbs off my plate and had extra protein and green veg. It took a lot of willpower at first but now I can ignore the carbs 99.9% of the time.
I'm able to ignore carbs and I cook all my meals unless its a holiday meal my family makes.
And I'd like to go 0 carb.
The issues are I have no teeth, I'm unable to tolerate most animal foods and their products.
So low carb is difficult. Throw very low finances in and well its impossible.
Mainly eating cans of salt.(soups). Some Smooth pb.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Still sad.
I guess that's my life.
Anyway an update on other things.

Had to suck it up. Using my basaglar and trurapi.
2 needle tips. One for basaglar.
One for my meal.

Pain in my legs, bruising from needle tips reuse. (On the days I eat twice). Bad foot cramps.
Extreme hunger.
I know these are the insulin side effects for me. As I've had them completely go away when off them. (The insulins)

So I'm taking pain meds. Hopefully with no future side effects. As I had a family member taken off them because they can wreck your stomach.

Very sad. Very defeated now.