Sad

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
Not sure what the system is in Canada but professional medical staff here usually think up to 10 is in range. What are you aiming for? What time in range does your libre show?
It's 10 here too.
When I read blood sugar 101,
She seems to prove that damages occur after 7.8.
From her research into the studies done.
My Libre says I'm in range 10 percent of the time.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not sure what the system is in Canada but professional medical staff here usually think up to 10 is in range. What are you aiming for? What time in range does your libre show?
Aiming to be within 8 anytime I measure/scan.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My T1D guitar buddy uses a pump, and he has been advised to only take intervention if his levels exceed 21 mmol/l or drop below 8 mmol/l. These are his in range values for his control and he has followed them for at least the last 15 years that we have been gigging together,

I am a T2D and not an insulin user, but whenever I was in hospital for repair, I too was subject to the same regime and was expected to only control between 8 and 15mmol/l anything outside this range was cause for concern by nursing staff. I am used to control between 4 and 8 outside of NHS land.so it was a shock for me. My current doctor wants me to be controlling to meet an HbA1c of 56 or above so again I differ in opinion as to what my control regime should be, It seems that the HCP's use a different set of values than us mere mortals.

So you may be expecting an unrealistic control regime of yourself and it may help your peace of mind if you can alter your personal goals to ones that are realisticsally achievable. Starving yourself is not going to help you in the longer term. and is not giving peace of mind and tranquility either.

There are several studies that show that insulin users using tight control of bgl levels actually had a shorter lifespan and or a lessened quality of life and it seems we can reduce bgl too low for natural bodily function. I am no expert, but there is evidence that you might benefit from a less tight control regime.
Yes I maybe am I aiming for too tight of a control.
For the food I don't have much choice if I'm starving.
I have a few dollars a day for food. And I went to the available food banks here but they say they can't give special food to ppl or they would have to for everyone.
I still have yet to know how soup is a special food!!!

Lakeslover

Well I’m not on insulin, but the majority of people I see who are on here are advised to set their targets higher than that. Yes, insulin can be tweaked to give you a lower base blood sugar, but the risk is that you then go hypo. A hypo puts you at much greater risk of harm than the occasional blood sugars higher than 8 (but lower than high teens).
perhaps you could consider relaxing your targets a bit and focussing more on the HBAic as a long term indicator of how you are doing,

Reactions: cdpm

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure if this would be helpful, but maybe someone you know has just completed a diet plan with some left over, or again the car boot / garage sale or charity shop?
The beauty of most Meal replacements is that they have added minerals and nutrients to provide minimum nutrition needs. sort of like a safety net.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I will be having an opportunity to go to some yard sales in Sept. Maybe someone will have some for sale. Thanks for the idea.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That’s only a little over a rise of 2. So although it’s higher than I would expect for a 0 carb meal it’s not a disaster. How quickly did it come down?
And I just ate/drank my 2nd meal- a bit early- it was 2 cups of ensure(2 bottles) . It's already- within 30 minutes- setting off the silly alarms at 9.4 with the up arrow. Geesh. I had to have 2 as the calories won't be alot with just the 480 from the c9ttage cheese earlier. And I also took 27 units of trurapi!!!!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
And I just ate/drank my 2nd meal- a bit early- it was 2 cups of ensure(2 bottles) . It's already- within 30 minutes- setting off the silly alarms at 9.4 with the up arrow. Geesh. I had to have 2 as the calories won't be alot with just the 480 from the c9ttage cheese earlier. And I also took 27 units of trurapi!!!!
I have no idea how much of your own insulin you are still making but as a T1 when I eat carbs I expect my bg to rise before my insulin can bring it down. The limits you are using (less than 8) would be unachievable for me. I don't know what your team told you when they financed your cgm but I can't help feeling that your aims may be unrealistic. For an insulin controlled T1 (no insulin of their own so not necessarily the same as a insulin controlled T2) I believe the guidelines for good control are 70% within range of 4 to 10....

Some diabetics need literally 100s of units of insulin per day to achieve control, so 27 units is not necessarily a lot. People's insulin needs can vary massively. I have no idea what yours are but a doctor should be advising you on that, and also on what ranges ypur should be aiming for with your libre.

Reactions: Lakeslover and cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I believe they said 4 to 10.
With an a1c goal of 7.
I never understood tho why are diabetics given goals so much higher than normal numbers?
My lab says 5.5 is normal for the a1c. Why are we given such higher numbers when there is already such a risk if complications. It can't always be to avoid hyos as many are not on insulin or hypo causing meds.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe they said 4 to 10.
With an a1c goal of 7.
I never understood tho why are diabetics given goals so much higher than normal numbers?
My lab says 5.5 is normal for the a1c. Why are we given such higher numbers when there is already such a risk if complications. It can't always be to avoid hyos as many are not on insulin or hypo causing meds.
I think your own personal struggle to get within range is a pointer to why the limits are wider than for non diabetics. Insulin treatment is not perfect, and not an exact science. The time delay between the injection and the insulin taking full effect makes dosing difficult to predict and not easy to correct if found to be 'out'.

I feel that this is a factor you need to take onboard in your own journey, and it may be that you need to take account of these effects and that it may not be the insulin failing, but maybe a simple timing and dose control issue.

I think you need to concentrate on getting your basal dose correct so that the fast acting insulin can then be adjusted just to handle the meal peaks. I hope other insulin using T2D can offer advice on how to set your basal and bolus dosing. I cannot advise since it is not in my experience, but I really think it should be your priority now.

Either relax your limits or get medical assistance should be a priority, so that once sorted, then you will be able to start to look at controlling as your diet improves. Insulin needs carbs to work. But starving the insulin by stopping carbs will not be successful.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sad
Wondering what my complications will be.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sad
Wondering what my complications will be.
i see from other postings you have recently made in other threads, that this thread is your gloomiest, so I am optimistic that you do actually know what your action plan should be, and that this thread is a safety valve for you. So my response to your question above is that you could instead think about the complications you will avoid by climbing back into the driving seat of life, and taking control of your journey. The doctor may or may not catch up with you, but primarily we are the drivers and its up to us.

Reactions: CatsFive and cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I may have to "dump" the current Dr I have. And yes I know some ppl may disagree but I can't possibly relay all the conversations and non supportive statements being made.
I feel I'm being held back from making decisions for my body my health.
I've always told myself once a Dr or other professional begins to want to be controlling of everything for my diabetes and limiting me I would be disconnecting from them.
As it is now that's about the only control or plan or power I have.

Lakeslover

What does your time in range look like?

Your HBA1c is good, and it sounds as if at the moment you are only getting small rises after meals which should be causing minimal damage. So it is unlikely you are heading for major complications. Your expectations of yourself given your need for insulin and your other problems finding suitable food feel too high, and as a result you are creating worries over trying to achieve the impossible perfect profile. do remember even non diabetics will have rises in blood sugar after eating, and these will sometimes be above 10.

perhaps start a post asking about timing of your rapid insulin before meals. I don’t take insulin so can’t advise you, but could it be that you could tweak it to take the insulin slightly earlier so that it is ready to work as your food is absorbed? Please don’t try this without taking advice from someone who actually knows if it’s right though.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was not aware that you are also on Ozempic concurrent with the insulin. This conmbination does require medical supervision. the side effects of the Ozempic if you get them may cause dehydration and also interfere with insulin dosing. Please be careful.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What does your time in range look like?

Your HBA1c is good, and it sounds as if at the moment you are only getting small rises after meals which should be causing minimal damage. So it is unlikely you are heading for major complications. Your expectations of yourself given your need for insulin and your other problems finding suitable food feel too high, and as a result you are creating worries over trying to achieve the impossible perfect profile. do remember even non diabetics will have rises in blood sugar after eating, and these will sometimes be above 10.

perhaps start a post asking about timing of your rapid insulin before meals. I don’t take insulin so can’t advise you, but could it be that you could tweak it to take the insulin slightly earlier so that it is ready to work as your food is absorbed? Please don’t try this without taking advice from someone who actually knows if it’s right though.
Time in target-
38 percent

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have no idea how much of your own insulin you are still making but as a T1 when I eat carbs I expect my bg to rise before my insulin can bring it down. The limits you are using (less than 8) would be unachievable for me. I don't know what your team told you when they financed your cgm but I can't help feeling that your aims may be unrealistic. For an insulin controlled T1 (no insulin of their own so not necessarily the same as a insulin controlled T2) I believe the guidelines for good control are 70% within range of 4 to 10....

Some diabetics need literally 100s of units of insulin per day to achieve control, so 27 units is not necessarily a lot. People's insulin needs can vary massively. I have no idea what yours are but a doctor should be advising you on that, and also on what ranges ypur should be aiming for with your libre.
When I was using toujeo I was taking 160 units but not reaching the Dr set goals.
And when I told any professional
They seemed horrified!!
I didn't like I injecting that much either .

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well I’m not on insulin, but the majority of people I see who are on here are advised to set their targets higher than that. Yes, insulin can be tweaked to give you a lower base blood sugar, but the risk is that you then go hypo. A hypo puts you at much greater risk of harm than the occasional blood sugars higher than 8 (but lower than high teens).
perhaps you could consider relaxing your targets a bit and focussing more on the HBAic as a long term indicator of how you are doing,
I'm not sure how to focus on the hba1c? Does that require a focus on daily numbers to do that?

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's pretty hard not to be self blaming when most of the info. Out there says weight plays a major role in type 2 diabetes.
So since I allowed myself to get so fat I am to blame for it.
But
I'm not too sure it is now. As my weight loss hadn't helped. NONE of my health conditions. In fact 1 got worse!! Maybe a coincidence but very disappointing.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's all for naught anyway. Because if I don't get the medical help I need I'm dropping the meds and just doing it myself my way.
(Once the silly nds are done that I bought. )